|TSB 15-0021||6.7L DIESEL – VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS – BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/6/2013|
|Publication Date: February 23, 2015|
This article supersedes TSBs 14-0139, 14-0095, 14-0094, 14-0092, 14-0093, 14-0080, 14-0079, 14-0015, 13-10-5, 13-6-20, 13-6-19, 13-6-14, 13-4-3, 12-11-7, 12-6-5 and 12-5-12 to consolidate previously released information.
Some 2011-2014 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 11/6/2013 may exhibit various driveability concerns with an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
Illuminated MIL with one or more of the following DTCs: P0181, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P132B, P0299, P050E, P06EA, P06EB, P249C, P249F, P2463, P246C, P0884, P0134, P0401, P0402, P009A, P0181, P2043, P2200, P204F, P2201, P229E, P207F, P209F, P208E, P2459, P054F.
Some vehicles may also exhibit one or more of the following concerns:
- Intermittent harsh upshifts or downshifts, and engine shudder/surge/hesitation between 900-1400 RPM.
- Runs rough/misfire during diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration, diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) warning messages will not reset and/or delayed level indication update after refilling DEF tank with key on engine running (KOER).
- Power Take-Off (PTO) disengagement with vehicle body movement. Modified vehicles for rail applications, will not re-engage PTO operation or the speedometer is inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground.
- Vehicle signal out (VSOUT) signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash.
- Abrupt engine shutdown feel.
- High pressure (HP) fuel pump knocking noise at idle.
- Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up. Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in SelectShift mode and/or erratic transmission operation in 1st gear while going down a grade.
- Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift.
- Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts.
- Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing.
- Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode.
In addition, the following vehicle enhancements may be desired:
- Brake over accelerator (BOA) feature, which reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously.
- SelectShift memory feature so the SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever returning to drive or restarting the vehicle if the vehicle was turned off while in SelectShift mode was still activated.
- Engine overspeed protection when descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM).
- Increased torque – during hill assist operation (see Owner Guide for additional system operation).
- On vehicles equipped with optional PTO: Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch is in the on position, engine coolant temperature to operate PTO is lowered to -7 °C (20 °F) and improved RPM control with SEICs.
NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
Information Only – Not Warrantable
- Reprogramming emission-related (OBDII) modules on some vehicles manufactured in 1995 and all vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present
- Reprogramming or reconfiguring non-emission-related modules on many vehicles (UBP and MS-CAN not supported)