June 8, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V331000
A door that is not securely latched could open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury to a vehicle occupant.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V331
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,147,323
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2011-2014 Fiesta, 2013-2014 Fusion, 2015 Mustang, 2013-2015 Escape and C-Max, 2012-2015 Focus, 2014-2016 Transit Connect, 2013-2014 Lincoln MKZ, and 2015 MKC vehicles. These vehicles were previously recalled and repaired under recalls 15V-246, 16V-643 or 17V-210, however the repair may not have been completed properly. A component within the door latches may break making the doors difficult to latch and/or leading the driver or a passenger to believe a door is securely closed when, in fact, it is not.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the latch date codes to confirm if the repair was done correctly, and replace the side door latches if necessary, free of charge. Owners will also have the option to inspect their own vehicle’s door latches and enter the date codes into a website to determine if the latches are correct. This recall is expected to begin July 20, 2020. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 20S30.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
June 9, 2020
SUBJECT: Advance Notice – Safety Recall 20S30
Certain 2011-2014 Fiesta, 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ, 2013-2015 C-MAX and Escape, 2012-2015 Focus, 2015 MKC and Mustang, and 2014-2016 Transit Connect Vehicles
Side Door Latch Previously Repaired Under 15S16 or 16S30
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Fiesta||2011-2014||Cuautitlan||January 26, 2010 through October 31, 2013|
|Fusion||2014||Flat Rock||June 18, 2013 through October 31, 2013|
|Fusion||2013-2014||Hermosillo||May 11, 2012 through October 31, 2013|
|MKZ||2013-2014||Hermosillo||July 19, 2012 through October 31, 2013|
|Mustang||2015||Flat Rock||February 14, 2014 through April 30, 2015|
|Escape||2013-2015||Louisville||December 23, 2011 through January 31, 2015|
|MKC||2015||Louisville||November 18, 2013 through January 31, 2015|
|C-Max||2013-2015||Michigan||February 2, 2012 through January 31, 2015|
|Focus||2012-2015||Michigan||October 4, 2010 through January 31, 2015|
|Transit Connect||2014-2016||Valencia (Spain)||August 9, 2013 through February 1, 2016|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Ford Motor Company has determined that some vehicles claimed by dealers as repaired under Safety Recalls 15S16 & 16S30 did not receive the claimed repairs, or the repair may not have been completed properly. If a vehicle did not receive the claimed repairs, the door latches have a pawl spring tab that may break. This condition will typically prevent the door from latching. If the customer is able to latch the door after repeated attempts to shut the door, there is potential the door may unlatch while driving, increasing the risk of injury.
A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in early 3rd quarter 2020, when it is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
If a customer’s vehicle exhibits side door latching concerns before a complete dealer bulletin is available, please contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.
- Claiming a refund will not close the recall on the vehicle. When a complete dealer bulletin is available (anticipated in early 3rd quarter, 2020), the vehicle will still be subject to an inspection and repair, if needed.
- Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this recall if the repair was performed prior to the date indicated in the reimbursement plan, which is posted with this bulletin. Owners are directed to seek reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford Motor Company at P.O. Box 6251, Dearborn, MI 48121-6251.
- Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the end date specified in the reimbursement plan. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
- Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with door latch replacements performed after repairs were claimed under 15S16 or 16S30.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Claim Entry: Enter claims using Dealer Management System (DMS) or One Warranty Solution (OWS) online.
- When entering claims, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (20S30) is the sub code.
- For additional claims preparation and submission information, refer to the Recall and Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) Repairs in the OWS User Guide.
IMPORTANT: Click the Related Damage Indicator radio button.
- Refunds: Submit refunds on a separate repair line.
- Program Code: 20S30 – Misc. Expense: ADMIN
- Expense: REFUND – Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.
- Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory prior to delivery.
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
23 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re Advance Notice – Safety Recall 20S30 Certain 2011-2014 Fiesta, 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZ, 2013-2015 C-MAX and Escape, 2012-2015 Focus, 2015 MKC and Mustang, and 2014-2016 Transit Connect Vehicles Side Door Latch Previously Repaired Under 15S16 or 16S30
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
1 Associated Investigation
On April 23, 2015, Ford Motor Company issued safety recall 15V-246 to remedy the latch pawl spring tab of approximately 336,873 model year (MY) 2012-2014 Fiesta, MY 2013-2014 Fusion and MY 2013-2014 Lincoln MKZ vehicles manufactured between February 1, 2012 and May 31, 2013. The recall was in response to the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) investigation EA15-002 which concluded the latch pawl spring tab can break, potentially causing the door to open while driving. On March 27, 2017, Ford Motor Company issued safety recall 17V-210 expanding the population from Recall 15V-246 of approximately 191,432 model year (MY) 2014 Fiesta, MY 2013-2014 Fusion, MY 2013-2014 Lincoln MKZ vehicles manufactured between June 1, 2013 and October 31, 2013.
ODI has received 109 complaints alleging incidents of doors opening while driving in the subject vehicles. Many of the complaints occur on vehicles that have been previously under Recall 15V-246 and 17V-210. In addition, ODI has received multiple complaints on vehicles that fall outside the recall population. ODI has received 2 complaints alleging minor injuries due to the door opening while driving (ODI# 11268297, 11015973) and 1 complaint alleging debris exiting the vehicle on the freeway (ODI# 11240352). A recall query has been opened to assess the scope and remedy for Recall 15V-246 and 17V-210.
The ODI complaints cited above involved door latch failures can be viewed at www.safercar.gov under the following ODI identification numbers: 11288232, 11282831, 11282621, 11282489, 11282344, 11280788, 11280495, 11278552, 11278502, 11271749, 11271230, 11269527, 11268995, 11268809, 11268416, 11268362, 11268297, 11267611, 11266459, 11266428, 11266107, 11266074, 11265835, 11265625, 11265364, 11259118, 11258954, 11257827, 11257726, 11256505, 11256430, 11255187, 11254659, 11254652, 11254554, 11253666, 11253159, 11253072, 11252650, 11252300, 11251888, 11246181, 11246029, 11246009, 11246005, 11245859, 11245549, 11245543, 11245483, 11245408, 11245316, 11245013, 11244425, 11244327, 11244257, 11243246, 11242379, 11241837, 11241022, 11240698, 11240361, 11240352, 11240296, 11234292, 11233716, 11233106, 11232953, 11232538, 11232024, 11231931, 11231898, 11231485, 11231430, 11230733, 11230426, 11230092, 11229320, 11229163, 11228818, 11228757, 11228552, 11228547, 11228541, 11228262, 11223154, 11222994, 11222949, 11222666, 11222247, 11222087, 11220591, 11220536, 11220193, 11219501, 11219251, 11218065, 11217778, 11217500, 11217211, 11217134, 11210633, 11210568, 11207018, 11206507, 11205805, 11205013, 11204019, 11203700, 11197348, 11196057, 11195269, 11195262, 11193224, 11193111, 11190876, 11189677, 11186619, 11174466, 11173589, 11172614, 11170525, 11165554, 11165270, 11164185, 11163773, 11162882, 11162644, 11161932, 11157214, 11156517, 11154533, 11154174, 11153083, 11152515, 11150076, 11144925, 11144146, 11142327, 11141454, 11139062, 11138955, 11133543, 11132966, 11132400, 11131930, 11131608, 11130818, 11130449, 11129834, 11129559, 11129364, 11129264, 11128849, 11124295, 11124280, 11124124, 11123590, 11123409, 11123250, 11122241, 11121776, 11121300, 11120607, 11119807, 11119675, 11118474, 11118380, 11115298, 11114619, 11111514, 11111507, 11110706, 11110462, 11110155, 11109921, 11109798, 11105213, 11104896, 11104591, 11104227, 11103552, 11103085, 11102701, 11097174, 11092326, 11091306, 11090102, 11089616, 11088626, 11084624, 11082264, 11075384, 11074513, 11066974, 11065957, 11065615, 11064678, 11046980, 11034381, 11034178, 11033951, 11033568, 11033325, 11032716, 11032674, 11032563, 11031770, 11031663, 11030865, 11023308, 11021035, 11020575, 11020450, 11020332, 11019391, 11018911, 11016477, 11016443, 11016358, 11015973, 11014518, 11013999, 11013316, 11012362, 11012181, 11011218, 11010740, 11006452, 11005972, 11005882, 11005057, 11004142, 11002377, 11002372, 11001149
- All-purpose white lubricant for metal-to-metal and metal-to-plastic applications
- Withstands moisture and high heat
- Protects against rust and makes surfaces friction-free
- Stainless and non-toxic
- Suggested Applications: Door hinges, hood latches, trunk latches, hatchback struts, seat tracks, garage door and delivery truck door tracks
- Ideal for metal-to-metal applications that require heavy-duty lubrication and protection against rust and corrosion
- Sprays on evenly as a liquid and sets dry for a thick, protective coating that won't run off. Safe from 0° F to 300° F for unbeatable protection
- Sprays on easily with a thick, protective coating for auto hinges, gears, sprockets, latches, door tracks, pulleys, cables, and more
- Excellent for lubricating equipment before placing in storage, and is 50-state VOC compliant
- WD-40 Company has been around for 65 years and has never stopped their innovative mindset. The WD-40 Specialist product line has been refined to perfection so you get the results you need with ease
- Silicone lubricant provides a protective, waterproof and low-friction coating to multiple surfaces
- Our quick-drying formula cures into a clear, stain-resistant hard film that protects your surfaces from the elements
- Safe to use on metal, rubber, vinyl, and plastic without a messy residue
- SMART STRAW SPRAYS 2 WAYS offers the option of a precision stream or fan-shaped spray
- Protects a range of products found in the shop, garage, job site, or home including cables, pulleys, valves, hinges, windows, sliding doors and locks
- Meets NLGI-2 performance
- Long lasting
- Reduces wear
- Extreme friction reducer
- Recommended for use in household applications including garage doors, hinges, openers and springs
- The clean, convenient way to stop squeaking and sticking all around the house and shop
- Suggested applications: sliding door and window channels, curtain rod slides, latches, doors, drawers, zippers, sunroofs, seat tracks, screws and nails, and power and handsaw blades.
- Safe to apply on metal, wood, glass, plastic, or rubber
- Prevents wear on any exposed surface while lubricating much cleaner than greases and oils
- High-Performance Lubrication
- Quick-Drying, No-Mess Formula
- Prevention of Rust & Corrosion
- Permanent Smart Straw nozzle – Sprays either a stream
- Offers long-lasting lubrication without the mess. It won't run and is ideal for vertical surfaces and moving parts like chains, cables, rollers, gears, and bearings
- The WD-40 Specialist line is designed with industrial strength quality and extreme penetration for your hard to solve issues
- Get unbeatable, long lasting protection with this thick gel formula. Resist water and displace moisture with self-healing protection. It prevents rust for up to 1 year and is 50-state VOC compliant
- Safe on multiple surfaces including metal, plastic and rubber. Use it when repairing your car, on walls, on your garage door, or on hinges. Once applied it can withstand temperature ranges from -100° F to 500° F
- WD-40 Company has been around for over 65 years and has never stopped their innovative mindset. The WD-40 Specialist product line has been refined to perfection so you get the results you need with ease
- Genuine Lubriplate Aero LBR-S Specialty low temp grease
- A must for all garage door opener repair and proper gear assembly operation
- Perfect for lubricating Chamberlain opener gears
- Heavy duty multi-purpose lubricant
- Water and heat resistant
- Extension tube included to treat hard to reach places
- Specially formulated for general marine lubrication needs
- FIXES & PREVENTS: No more tough sticking sliding doors, sticky keys, stuck locks, squeaky doors, or squeaky garage doors
- INSTANTLY EFFECTIVE & LONG-LASTING: Works as soon as the oil is applied and stays on lasting a long-time
- STOP FROZEN LOCKS & YEAR-ROUND PERFORMANCE: Functions optimally between -35 F and 180 F to prevent frozen locks and provide year-round protection
- PREVENT RUST: Contains rust inhibitors that help to keep your doors, locks, and hinges looking good and functioning properly
- NON-TOXIC: Made with food-grade mineral-based products that contain no harmful chemicals or toxic substances.
Last update on 2020-08-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-08-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API