|TSB 14-0017||3.5L GTDI – INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID OR DAMP CONDITIONS – BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/16/2013|
This article supersedes TSB 12-11-15 to update the vehicle model years, build date, Service Procedure and Parts List.
Some 2013-2014 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost engine, and built on or before 12/16/2013 may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after extended operation at highway speeds during high humidity or damp conditions.
This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present.
Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTCs.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Acquire Misfire Freeze Frame Data and DTC’s with the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or Scan Tool. Use the following steps with IDS to obtain Misfire Freeze Frame Data.
- Select Toolbox
- Data Logger
- Select the following PIDs:
- Does the misfire concern only occur in humid or damp conditions?
- Yes – proceed to Step 3.
- No – this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual Section 3: Powertrain Symptom Index to inspect such areas as Ignition, Compression, and Injection.
- Does the Misfire Freeze Frame Data indicate engine speed above 2500 rpm and load 100% or above? (Figure 1)
- Yes – proceed to Step 4.
- No – this article does not apply. Refer to PC/ED manual Section 3: Powertrain Symptom Index to inspect such areas as Ignition, Compression, and Injection.
- Is DTC P0430 present?
- Yes – replace the left hand catalytic converter. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 5.
- No – Proceed to Step 5.
- Is the charge air cooler equipped with a top or bottom air deflector? (Figure 2 and Figure 3)
- Yes – remove and discard. Refer to WSM, Section 303-12. Proceed to Step 6.
- No – proceed to Step 6.
- NOTE PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BL3Z-5E212-E||Catalytic Converter Assembly|
|W520514-S440||Nuts (2 Req)|
|140017A||2013-2014 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Diagnose And Inspect The Charge Air Cooler, Remove Air Deflectors And Reprogram The PCM Includes Time To Clear DTCs (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.5 Hr.|
|140017B||2013-2014 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Diagnose And Replace The Left Hand Catalytic Converter, Inspect The Charge Air Cooler, Remove Air Deflectors And Reprogram The PCM Includes Time To Clear DTCs (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||1.0 Hr.|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
- Reprogramming emission-related (OBDII) modules on some vehicles manufactured in 1995 and all vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present
- Reprogramming or reconfiguring non-emission-related modules on many vehicles (UBP and MS-CAN not supported)
Module Build Data (As-Built)
Use VIN to obtain As-Built data