June 23, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V366000
An improperly welded headrest bracket may have reduced strength and may not adequately restrain an occupant in a crash, increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V366
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,620
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2020 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles. The attachment bracket for the driver’s side second-row seat headrest may not have been sufficiently welded to the seat frame. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 202, “Head Restraints.”
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the seat structure and replace it as needed, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin July 6, 2020. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 20C12.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
June 24, 2020
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Expedition||2020||Kentucky Truck||February 26, 2020 through March 18, 2020|
|Navigator||February 27, 2020 through March 16, 2020|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS COMPLIANCE RECALL
Some of the affected vehicles may not conform to the requirements specified by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 202a – head restraints – because one or two welds may not have sufficient weld penetration to the seat frame on the second row left hand seat. Additionally, performance to other internal and regulatory requirements may potentially be impacted.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the two headrest bracket welds on the second row left hand (LH) seat to confirm the weld penetrates both the bracket and the seat frame. Rejected seats will require a full seat frame replacement, utilizing the standard workshop manual procedure (# 501-10B). This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of July 06, 2020. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letters
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
OASIS will be activated on June 24, 2020
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com June 24, 2020. Owner names and addresses will be available by July 24, 2020.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries. Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Ford has not issued instructions to stop selling/delivering or driving used vehicles under this compliance recall. Owners should contact their dealer for an appointment to have their vehicles remedied as soon as practicable. Owners can continue to safely drive their vehicles.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act law effective June 2016 prohibits a rental company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. Please consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
Refunds are not approved for this program.
Rental vehicles are not approved for this program.
LINCOLN PICKUP AND DELIVERY
Owners of 2017 MY and newer Lincoln vehicles have the option of requesting pickup and delivery service with a Lincoln loaner (up to 2 days), from their dealership. For details, reference EFC07715, 2020 Lincoln Pickup & Delivery Updates.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For related damage and access time requirements, refer to the Warranty and Policy Manual / Section 6 – Ford & Lincoln Program Policies / General Information & Special Circumstances for FSA’s / Related Damage.
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, no SSSC approval is required, although related damage must be on a separate repair line with the “Related Damage” radio button checked.
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Claim Entry: Enter claims using Dealer Management System (DMS) or One Warranty Solution (OWS) online.
- When entering claims, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (20C12) is the sub code.
- For additional claims preparation and submission information, refer to the Recall and Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) Repairs in the OWS User Guide.
- Related Damage/Additional labor and/or parts: Must be claimed as Related Damage on a separate repair line from the FSA with same claim type and sub code as described in Claim Entry above.
IMPORTANT: Click the Related Damage Indicator radio button.
- Lincoln Pickup & Delivery: Claims for Lincoln Pickup & Delivery with a Lincoln loaner (up to 2 days) should be submitted on a separate line from the FSA. Refer to EFC07715, 2020 Lincoln Pickup & Delivery Updates for details.
|Inspect two headrest bracket welds on the LH second row seat frame – PASS.||20C12A||0.3 Hours|
|Inspect two headrest bracket welds on the LH second row seat frame – DOES NOT PASS.
Replace seat frame.
|MT20C12||Up to 2 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
SSSC Web Contact Site:
To place a parts order, submit a VIN-specific Part Order contact with photo of defective weld confirmation via the SSSC Web Contact Site.
|Guide Sleeve – LH side of LH Seat Headrest||1||1||CU5Z-96610A16-*|
|Guide Sleeve – RH side of LH Seat Headrest||1||1||CU5Z-96610A16-*|
|Bezel – for Manual Release Handle||1||1||JL1Z-7867460-*|
|Seat Bolt and Washer to Floor – Front (2 Req., 4 per package)||1||2||W719574-S307|
|Seat Bolt to Floor – Rear (2 Req., 4 per package)||1||2||W719748-S307X|
|Seat Frame – 2nd Row, LH side||1||1||*-78613A10-*|
*Note: part numbers vary by vehicle – use parts catalog to identify the specific part number by VIN.
Less than 1% of the affected vehicle population is expected to require a seat frame replacement. Dealers will be notified via a DOES II communication if circumstances warrant a change in part supply strategy and when open ordering resumes.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
NOTE: Do not remove seat for inspection procedure.
1. Remove the child safety seat tether anchor bezel. Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover. See Figure 1.
2. Release the backrest cover lower J-clip. See Figure 2.
4.Position the backrest cover up to expose the two circular holes that are in-line with the headrest bracket welds. See Figure 4.
5. Shine a flashlight inside of the right side hole or the anchor bezel hole while viewing the two welds on the head rest bracket from the left side hole. See Figure 5.
6. Shine a flashlight inside of the left side hole or the anchor bezel hole while viewing the two welds on the head rest bracket from the right side hole. See Figure 6.
7. Are both welds covering the head rest bracket edge between the stamped notches? See Figure 7.
No – DOES NOT PASS inspection.
Yes – PASSES inspection.
- Reinstall the backrest seat cover and clips by reversing steps 1 through 4.
- This inspection confirmation closes the program.
Ford Media Center
FORD MOTOR COMPANY ISSUES A SAFETY COMPLIANCE RECALL AND A SAFETY RECALL IN NORTH AMERICA
Jun 25, 2020 | DEARBORN, Mich.
DEARBORN, Mich., June 25, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety compliance recall and a safety recall in North America.
In affected vehicles, the attachment bracket for the second-row driver’s side headrest may not have been sufficiently welded to the seat frame.
An improperly welded headrest bracket may have reduced strength and may not adequately restrain an occupant in a crash, increasing the risk of injury. Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
This action affects 2,620 vehicles in the United States, 159 in Canada and 19 in Mexico.
Affected vehicles were built at Kentucky Truck Plant as follows:
- Ford Expedition vehicles from Feb. 26 to March 18, 2020
- Lincoln Navigator vehicles from Feb. 27 to March 16, 2020
Affected vehicles were built with a transmission torque-converter damper plate that was not tempered, resulting in a brittle damper plate that may fracture.
A fractured damper plate could cause the engine to stall and require increased brake pedal effort when coming to a stop. The engine can be restarted, and mobility may be regained if the driver shifts to neutral or park. However, there could be an unexpected, aggressive reengagement when shifting to drive or reverse and the potential for another engine stall. The vehicle will continue to exhibit these symptoms until the service fix is completed.
This condition can increase the risk of a crash. Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
This action affects 13 vehicles in the United States and two in Canada.
Affected vehicles were built at Kentucky Truck Plant from Jan. 13 to Feb. 19, 2020, and at Ohio Assembly Plant on Jan. 29, 2020.
June 23, 2020
|Subject:||Ford Motor Company (Ford) Recall No. 20C12 – Certain 2020 model year Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles – Driver Side Second Row Seat Headrest Bracket Welds|
On March 19, 2020, a concern related to improperly welded second row headrest attachment brackets was brought to Ford’s Critical Concern Review Group (CCRG) for review. A supplier had notified Ford of one second row seat headrest identified within the supplier’s facility that exhibited excessive movement. Inspection had found that the headrest to seatback frame attachment bracket was out of position and two of the four welds did not properly penetrate the headrest bracket. During a review of potentially suspect stock, the supplier identified a second seat frame with one of four welds that had not properly penetrated the headrest attachment bracket. Further investigation found an incorrect assembly fixture detail installed in the second row left-hand seat headrest bracket welding fixture during a tooling repair procedure. This allowed the headrest bracket to be positioned incorrectly to the seatback frame, potentially resulting in a lack of weld penetration to the headrest bracket. A total of 8,229 parts were inspected at the seat frame supplier with zero (0) suspect parts identified; 11,432 seat frames were sorted at the seat supplier with two (2) suspect parts identified; and 42 vehicles were examined at the Kentucky Truck Plant with zero (0) suspect seats identified. There were no reports from vehicles in the field. Because the seat supplier and vehicle assembly plant had suspended operations due to the Covid-19 matter, a procedure to assess the ability of the supplier and the vehicle assembly plant to identify a seat with suspect welds was postponed until operations resumed.
Upon resumption of operations the first week of June 2020 following the Covid-19 shutdown, a trial was conducted to evaluate whether seats with missing headrest welds would be detected by plant personnel during the vehicle assembly process. This trial involved one seat with one (1) weld missing, and another seat with two (2) welds missing. Both seats were processed undetected.
According to Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) analysis conducted on these 2nd row headrests, seatbacks with one or both suspect headrest bracket welds may not meet regulatory requirement FMVSS 202a.
On June 16, 2020, Ford’s Field Review Committee reviewed the concern and approved a field action.
Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
Tier 2 – Seat Structure Supplier – Company/Contact Information
Company Name: Adient
|Address 1: Address 2:||49200 Halyard Dr.|
Company Contact Information
|Position:||Director of Quality Operations – Seat Structures & Mechanisms|
2 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Miscellaneous Document – Media Release re attachment bracket for the second-row driver’s side headrest may not have been sufficiently welded to the seat frame.
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report
Miscellaneous Document – Chronology re Ford Motor Company (Ford) Recall No. 20C12 – Certain 2020 model year Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles – Driver Side Second Row Seat Headrest Bracket Welds
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Fabric Cleaner: Cleans Cloth, Carpet, Upholstery, and More
- Stain Remover breaks down set in stains
- High sudsing foaming action lifts dirt & stains
- Removes foul odors and helps prevent new ones over time
- Restores a like new look and feel to fabrics and interior cloth surfaces
- Tank capacity 37 ounce; Heatwave technology maintains consistent water temperature while cleaning
- 3 inch tough stain tool for cleaning stairs, upholstery and hard to reach places
- Deep reach tool removes embedded dirt and stains from the bottom up; Dirt tank capacity
- Self cleaning tool makes cleaning out the machine a breeze
- Removable water tanks for easy filling and emptying
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Our most powerful portable spot and stain cleaner for carpets, stairs, upholstery, auto interiors, and more.
- Combines superior suction, scrubbing action and professional cleaning solution to remove stubborn pet stains, embedded dirt and more.
- Provides a deep clean that leaves you with professional-style results.
- Permanently removes tough messes and protects from future stains with the power of stain protect.
- Hyper concentrated dilutable 20:1
- Great for carpets, upholstery, sneakers, fabrics, sofas and more
- Simple, easy application
- Helps resist future stains
- Cleans without destroying color or fading surfaces
- DEEP CLEAN: deep cleaning, professional strength formula removes stains & odors
- REMOVE ODORS: Features Maguire's permanent odor eliminating technology*
- QUICK AND EASY: fast acting foam breaks down stains for quick & easy cleaning
- RESIDUE FREE: dries quickly without leaving behind a sticky residue
- NEW CAR SCENT: leaves behind a fresh, new car scent
- 4x action: clean, eliminate odors, discourage resoiling in the same Area, & refresh carpets
- Stain lift technology: lift and remove tough pet stains like urine, vomit, mud and feces
- Patented odor elimination neutralizes even the strongest pet odors
- Attached fabric safe brush
- Help keep your fabric, upholstery and carpet looking cleaner longer
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase, upon activation
- Tackles tough spots and stains with strong spray and powerful suction
- Take on small and large cleanups with this compact carpet cleaner
- Removable water tanks for easy filling and emptying; Tank capacity 48 ounce
- Use the hydro rinse tool attachment to easily clean out the hose after each use
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets
- Spray, scrub and suction to remove pet stains and messes from carpet, upholstery, stairs, area rugs, auto interiors, and more.
- Grab and go cordless convenience; enjoy the freedom of a lithium-powered handheld carpet cleaner that lifts away stains using formula and powerful suction.
- Formula conveniently stores in the machine and doesn't need to be mixed with water, so it's always ready for use.
- Instantly and permanently removes stains like urine, feces, vomit, dirt, mud, blood, grass, tomato sauce, red wine, makeup, food grease, vegetable oils, coffee, cola, motor oils and more.
- KEEP YOUR CAR PROFESSIONAL LEVEL CLEAN! No more crumbs, dust or dirt! With our ThisWorx Portable Car Vacuum Cleaner you’ll be free of any wet or dry messes, even liquids, cigarette ashes or pet hair
- POWERFUL YET TINY! Our handheld vacuum weighs only 2.4 lbs but has a high power, 106W & 8.8 amps motor and metal turbine for the ultimate suction power. The 16ft power cord connects to the car’s 12V lighter port, for maximum coverage
- CLEANING MADE EASY! The ergonomic design of this hand vacuum ensures you can reach all the nooks and crannies of your car. The transparent trash container makes it easy to empty it and the protective lid keeps the trash inside at all times
- WE PUT CLEAN IN SQUEAKY-CLEAN! The car vacuum set features 3 all-purpose nozzles, a carrying bag for easy storage, a special filter cleaning brush and a spare HEPA filter. It makes for an awesome gift for ride-sharing drivers & car lovers!
- ThisWorx REALLY WORKS! We’re positive our hand-held vacuum will revolutionize your car cleaning habits! But, just in case you ever have an issue with it, our Customer Support team is ready to assist you with no question asked replacements
- 【Wet/ Dry/ Shampoo Spray 3 in 1】Vacmaster Professional Carpet Vacuum Cleaner can master any mess such as dust, particles, industrial waste and water stains. 5.5 Peak HP high powered unit ideal for cleaning Carpets, Car Interiors, Upholstery and Sofa. Perfect for extracting spots and stains on low-pile carpet. 8 Gallon large capacity tank with external detergent tank for easy filling.
- 【High Efficiency Multiple Filtration System】Supplied with washable PTFE cartridge filter and HEPA material filtration, removes up to 99.97% of microscopic dust particles as small as 0.3 microns. Foam filter is special for wet cleaning. This Shop vacuum cleaner provides ultimate purified air and excellent cleaning experience for every user. Both PTFE filtration and foam filter are recyclable.
- 【Portable Operation & Power Suction】Features remote operation controls on nozzle, enabling switching between vacuum and detergent modes uninterrupted. Powerful pump forces cleaning fluid into fabric/carpet and 5.5 Peak HP suction power leaves surface virtually dry after one pass.
- 【Multi-Functional Accessories & Low Noise】 This Shampoo Spray Vacuum Cleaner supply Wet and Dry Vacuum accessory kit including stainless steel rigid telescopic extension tube, carpet lance, hand-held lance, special detergent, dust bag and various nozzles, suitable for different occasions. Special volute design help reduce noise greatly.
- 【Purchase Guarantee】 You will gain priority to shipping service from Vacmaster's warehouse in US our delivery date will be just earlier and safe. If you have any problems during use, you can contact us by mail and our professional support team will help you solve your problem within 24 hours.
Last update on 2020-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API