April 12, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21E027000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21E027
Manufacturer Tenneco Automotive
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,394
Tenneco Automotive (DRiV) is recalling certain MOOG K500359 ball joints, for aftermarket installation on 2015-2018 Ford F-150 trucks. The ball joint may have a misaligned dust boot and may be missing alignment hole and installation warning tag, which may lead to improper alignment of the ball joint.
DRiV will notify owners, and dealers will inspect, and if necessary replace the ball joint, free of charge. Owner letters were mailed May 5, 2021. Owners may contact Tenneco Automotive customer service at 1-877-489-6659.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
RECALL NO. 21E027 April 2021
Dear Valued MOOG Customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. DRiV, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain MOOG brand upper ball joints, Part No. K500359, intended for aftermarket installation on MY2015 – 2018 Ford F-150 vehicles. We are conducting a voluntary safety recall to address the issue. You are receiving this letter because retailer records indicate that you may have purchased one of these parts.
What Products are Involved?
This recall involves MOOG Part No. K500359 upper ball joints that were manufactured March 3, 2020 through January 12, 2021.
What is the Problem?
Due to a lack of an alignment hole and installation warning tag, and a potentially misaligned dust boot, there is a risk that the upper ball joint may be installed incorrectly. If the ball joint is installed incorrectly, normal suspension movement may cause breakage of the ball joint stud, which may compromise front wheel control and increase the risk of a vehicle crash.
What should you do?
If you purchased your MOOG brand upper ball joint, Part No. K500359, after March 15, 2020, please contact the place of purchase to have your ball joint inspected to determine whether it is covered by this recall. If covered, you will receive a replacement ball joint (K500422) free of charge, parts and labor. Remedy parts are currently available. Inspection of the ball joint should take approximately 1 hour. Replacement, if necessary, should take approximately 3 – 4 hours.
Questions or Concerns?
For the most efficient service, your distributor has been instructed how to manage the return of these parts. As such, they should be your first point of contact related to this recall. If you do not obtain the service required, you may contact Customer Service of MOOG at 877-489-6659 or RECALL.SUPPORT@DRIV.COM. If you are unable to obtain a remedy without charge within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to https://www.safercar.gov.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we are taking this action in the interest of your personal safety and satisfaction with our products.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
RECALL NO. 21E027
Dear Valued MOOG Customer:
We are writing to inform you that DRiV, Inc. is conducting a voluntary safety recall of certain MOOG brand upper ball joints, Part No. K500359, intended for aftermarket installation on MY 2015 – 2018 Ford F-150 vehicles. Our records indicate that recalled products were shipped to you.
What Products are Involved?
This recall involves MOOG Part No. K500359 upper ball joints with a packaging date code of 6110063 through 6111012. These parts were manufactured March 3, 2020 through January 12, 2021. For assistance identifying the packaging date code, please refer to the enclosed “Product Notice,” which you may have previously received.
What is the Problem?
Due to a lack of an alignment hole and installation warning tag, and a potentially misaligned dust boot, there is a risk that the upper ball joint may be installed incorrectly. If the ball joint is installed incorrectly, normal vertical movement may cause the ball joint stud to contact the housing, potentially leading to breakage of the stud. If the ball joint stud breaks, front wheel control will be compromised, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
What should you do?
- Product Remaining in Your Inventory: If any of the subject parts remain in your inventory, you should return them to MOOG per the attached “Product Notice” for credit. Replacements parts should be available for ordering by May 1, 2021. Replacement parts will have new part number, K500422, and the parts will have an alignment hole and an affixed warning tag to assist in proper installation. Note: It is a violation of federal law to sell the recalled products.
- Products You Sold to Other Resellers: If you sold the recalled ball joints to reselling customers, you must forward a copy of this letter and enclosed “Owner Letter” to them within five (5) business days of receipt. Recalled products should be returned to you, as the original point of purchase, for a refund or to receive a replacement ball joint.
- Products You Installed or Sold to Consumers: You must immediately check your sale records to identify any consumers to whom you sold the recalled product and send them a copy of the enclosed NHTSAapproved Owner Letter. Alternatively, you can email your customers’ contact information to DRiV at SUPPORT@DRIV.COM and we will contact them directly. When contacted by the consumer, please do the following: (1) Inspect the customer’s ball joint per the enclosed “Inspection Procedure”; (2) If covered by this recall and incorrectly installed, the ball joint should be replaced at no cost to the customer; and (3) Submit a claim under the MOOG warranty claims process.
If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service of MOOG at 877-489-6659 or RECALL.SUPPORT@DRIV.COM. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we are taking this action in the interest of our customers’ personal safety and satisfaction with our products.
Enclosures (Product Notice; Owner Letter; Inspection Procedure)
5 Affected Products
|BRAND||PART NO.||PRODUCTION DATES|
8 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2021-2RCLQRT-21E027-1574
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21E027-0695
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-21E027-0744
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21E027-2006
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-3
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-4RCLQRT-21E027-2139
Latest Recalls Documents
For the Latest and Most Recent Recalls Information Visit the link below…
- Gearwrench's Ball Joint Separator is made for separating the ball joint from the spindle support arm on domestic and import front wheel drive vehicles
- Adjustable for different size ball joints
- Suitable for most cars and light trucks (not intended for use on 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks)
- Works on ball joints from 1-1/8” to 2-1/8” and 30 to 56mm in size
- Slot is 7/8" wide by 1-1/4" Deep
- ESSENTIAL TOOL FOR BALL JOINT SERVICE - Use the ORION MOTOR TECH Ball Joint Press Set Ball Joint Tool / Bushing Removal Tool with 4WD Adapter to effortlessly remove press fit parts including ball joints, U-joints, brake anchor pins, and more on most 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles without removing the control arm from the vehicle.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUALITY AND DURABILITY - Off road weekend warriors, novices, and professional mechanics trust the ORION kit because ORION MOTOR TECH sources the highest quality components from around the world. Constructed from heavy-duty forged steel with black-oxide finish on adapters for maximum strength and longevity that resists rust and corrosion.
- UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF VEHICLES - Fit most American domestic and imported 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) cars and light pickup trucks that have press-fit type ball joints, include 4-wheel drive (4WD) adapter that allows service for 1967 thru current 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4WD vehicles having the Dana 30 or 44 front axle (found on Ford, GM, Dodge, IHC and Jeep vehicles).
- CONVENIENTLY ORGANIZED IN CUSTOM MOLDED CASE - Ball joint press / bushing/ removal tool kit is enclosed inside a heavy-duty 11” x 3” x 15” inch (27.9cm x 7.6cm x 38.1cm) plastic blow-molded carrying case with handle for easy storage, safe storage, and quick organization. Package include: 3x Receiving Tube, 1x Removal Adapter, 1x Installation Adapter, 1x Screw, 1x Install Cup Adapter, 1x Forcing-screw Press, 1x Receiving Cup, 1x Installing Cup.
- ORION MOTOR TECH - We pursue outstanding quality and professional technical support. If you are not satisfied with this product or if you have any question, please feel free to let us know.
- ALL IN ONE FRONT END SERVICE KIT: Containing 5 adjustable tools for a wide range of domestic and import vehicles. Comes with 1x Ball Joint Separator, 1x Tie Rod and Ball Joint Remover, 1x Conical Pitman Arm Puller, 1x Pitman Arm and Tie Rod End Puller, 1x Pitman Arm Puller, 1x well-organized ABS case.
- HARDENED ALLOY CONSTRUCTION: Extraordinarily tough and durable alloy means these tools can stand up to the toughest jobs. This front end service tool kit can remove the most stubborn ball joints, tie rod ends, and pitman arms.
- UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF VEHICLES: The versatile design allows this tool to be used as a pitman arm remover, ball joint separator, or tie rod end puller for many small, domestic rear-wheel-drive vehicles, import vehicles, and light trucks.
- PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE ABS CASE: The custom-molded case is crafted from high-quality ABS hard plastic for the amateur or professional mechanic on the go. Conveniently keeps all your tools in one organized and secure place. Never miss out on a job or project from a misplaced tool.
- ORION MOTOR TECH PROMISE: If any issues from our tools arise please don’t hesitate to contact us. We guarantee the quality of our tools and want to ensure you’re only getting the best. Because to do perform your best, you deserve the best, that’s our Orion Motor Tech Promise.
- Pickle Fork Separator Tool: The tapered fork wedge design of this ball joint separator tool focuses on the fundamentals of machine technology for an easy and uncomplicated process
- Precision Performance: Striking the handle with a hammer separates the ball joint cleanly; Designed with a 15/16 inch opening for a firm hold and secure removal
- Hardened Steel: The heat treated steel alloy construction of this ball joint separator stands up to tough jobs; Zinc plating resists rust and extends service life
- Thoughtful Design: Ball joint separator handle features a nonslip knurled texture; Used as designed, this front end service tool will stand up to years of use
- Versatile Uses: This universal ball joint separator can be used for a variety of repairs; For example, the ball joint tool can also be used on CV drive shafts
- [Durable Materials] HZAUTOS ball joint removal tool kit is made of heavy forged steel with black-oxide finish adapters, which can keep maximum strength and longevity. It also makes the tool capable of repairing more complex and challenging tasks.
- [Strong Functions] The ball joint press & removal tool kit with four wheel drive adapters can remove the press fit parts easily, including ball joints, U joints, brake anchor pins on most 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles, without removing the control arm from vehicle, so that it can improve the work efficiency. Off road weekend warriors, novices and professional mechanics can use it easily.
- [Easy Operation] HZAUTOS ball joint repair kit is a nice tool to remove / install vehicle parts. All the lock ring retainers can be removed from the brake anchor pins with this tool, then you can place the C-frame press on the brake spider and tighen the forcing screws to remove the mounting pins.
- [Wide Compatibility] The ball joint removal tool is compatible of most domestic and imported 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive vehicles and light pickup trucks with press-fit type ball joints. The 4-wheel drive adapter helps serve for 1967 thru current 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4-wheel drive vehicles with Dana 30 or 44 front axle.
- [Complete Package List] HZAUTOS 10PCS ball joint removal tool kit is provided with all the necessary accessories, including 1* C-clamp, 1* forcing C-screw, 1* installation adapter, 1* removal adapter, 1* installation cup, 1* receiving cup, 1* installation cup adapter, 3* receiving tubes. With all the tools, you can get the repair work donw right.
- Complete Front End Service Kit: This versatile kit contains 5 adjustable tools for a wide range of domestic and import vehicles, including a ball joint separator, tie rod and ball joint remover, conical pitman arm puller, pitman arm and tie rod end puller, and pitman arm puller.
- Versatile Tool Set: The set includes two pitman arm pullers suitable for large or small ball joint applications, two ball joint separators, and three different tie rod pullers, providing a wide range of options to tackle any job.
- Hardened Alloy Construction: Made from an extraordinarily tough and durable alloy, these tools can stand up to the toughest jobs, easily removing the most stubborn ball joints, tie rod ends, and pitman arms.
- Durable Blow Molded Storage Case: The set comes with a durable blow-molded storage case that keeps all kit components organized and protected when not in use, making it easy to transport and store the tools.
- Our Promise: If you experience any issues with our tools, please contact us without hesitation. We stand behind the quality of our tools and want to ensure that you receive only the best. We believe that to perform at your best, you deserve the best tools, and we are committed to delivering just that.
- Heavy Duty Forged Ball Joint Remover Installer Kit is excellent for removal and installation of press-fit parts such as ball joints, U joint and brake anchor pins for Most 2WD and 4WD Cars and Light Trucks. Heat Treated C Clamp Puller can excellent press rusted parts effortlessly.
- Fit most American domestic and imported cars and light pickup trucks and Fit on Ford, GM, Dodge, IHC and Jeep vehicles
- Upper and Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Removal Tool be able to: Remove Upper/Lower Ball Joints, Install Upper/Lower Ball Joints, Remove/Install Brake Anchor Pin, Disassemble/Assemble Universal U Joints.
- Package include: 3x Receiving Tube, 1x Removal Adapter, 1x Installation Adapter, 1x Screw, 1x Install Cup Adapter, 1x Forcing-screw Press, 1x Receiving Cup, 1x Installing Cup.
- Ball Joint Press Tool Four Wheel Drive Is Made of Strong Carbon Steel, Instruction In English Included ,Plastic Carrying Red Case Package.
- Premium Quality: This ball joint tool kit is made of solid carbon steel with anti-rust finish, perfect for removal/installation of press-fit parts, such as ball joints, universal joint and truck brake anchor pins.
- Easy To Use: It will help you effortlessly remove press fit parts including ball joints, U-joints, brake anchor pins without removing the control arm from the vehicle. Besides, this tool kit can also remove rusted and corroded parts. Really save your energy and time in daily life.
- Package Included: 3x Receiving Tubes, 1x Removal Adapter, 1x Installation Adapter, 1x Screw, 1x Install Cup Adapter, 1x Forcing-screw Press, 1x Receiving Cup, 1x Installing Cup.
- Wide Application: The heavy duty 4-wheel drive ball joint tool is compatible with most American domestic and imported 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) cars. It allows service for 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4WD vehicles with the Dana 30 or 44 front axle (found on Ford, GM, Dodge, IHC and Jeep vehicles).
- Blow Mold Case: The Ball Joint Press set is packed in a heavy-duty, blow-molded case with precision-sized compartments for every piece - great for storage and transport while lengthening the life of the tool set.
- [Durable Material] This ball joint disassembly kit is made of sturdy steel structure and can provide all the strength and durability you need, making it suitable for long-term use.
- [Design] The ball joint separator disassembly tool is equipped with a black oxide push rod and locking pin. Align the push rod with the machined groove in the steel body, keeping the tool aligned and minimizing warping with each increase in rotational pressure.
- [Adjustable]The spherical joint tool includes a detachable pin that can be installed at two pivot points, with openings ranging from 1-1/8 "to 2-1/8" to accommodate a wider working area and various sizes and vehicles.
- [Easy to Use] Simply fix the tool on the ball joint that needs to be disassembled, and then use a socket wrench to rotate the tool to remove the ball joint (lubricate the tool and ball joint with lubricating oil before disassembly).
- [Applicable] This spherical joint separator is widely used in the separation arms, tie rods, and spherical joints of automobiles and trucks, specifically designed to quickly and conveniently separate the vehicle's spherical joint from the main shaft support arm. On domestic and imported front wheel drive vehicles, it separates the ball joint from the spindle arm.
- VERSATILE TOOL SET: OMT's ball joint tool lets you quickly and easily remove and install stubborn press fit parts, including ball joints, U joints, and brake anchor pins
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: This ball joint removal tool kit includes adapters of common sizes to work with most 0.5 & 0.75 ton 4WD vehicles and is compatible with GM, Ford Jeep, Dodge, and IHC since 1967
- SAFE & SECURE: The 9 inch long C frame press with a 6 inch opening and extra long jackscrew provides even and straight force to let you smoothly press out joints without damaging other components
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Our ball joint removal tool is made from premium 45# steel that has been forged and coated to provide optimal corrosion resistance and durability for powerful leverage
- EASY TO USE: This 10 piece U joint removal tool removes and installs press fit upper and lower joints without removing the control arms; a custom molded case comes included for easy transport and storage between uses
Last update on 2023-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.