February 10, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V072000
A fractured rear toe link will cause a sudden change in vehicle handling and increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V072
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Potential Number of Units Affected 211,207
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2013-2018 Lincoln MKT and Ford Flex and Taurus vehicles with the Police Interceptor or SHO Performance Pack. The rear suspension toe links may fracture due to stress on the rear suspension.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the rear suspension toe links, free of charge. Remedy parts are not currently available. Owners will be notified about the recall beginning March 2, 2020. A second notice will be mailed when remedy parts become available, which is currently expected to be in summer of 2020. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332 or Lincoln customer service at 1-800-521-4140. Ford’s number for this recall is 20S04.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
February 11, 2020
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Safety Recall 20S04
Certain 2013-2018 Model Year Flex, MKT, Police Interceptor Sedan, and Taurus
SHO with Performance Pack Vehicles
Rear Suspension Toe Link Replacement
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Flex||2013-2018||Oakville||September 12, 2011 through June 1, 2017|
|MKT||September 12, 2011 through June 1, 2017|
|Police Interceptor Sedan||Chicago||August 25, 2011 through June 1, 2017|
|Taurus SHO with Performance Pack||August 25, 2011 through June 1, 2017|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In all of the affected vehicles, full suspension jounce and rebound travel, over time, may increase the bending stress on the rear suspension toe link(s), which may result in toe link fracture. A customer with a fractured toe link may experience noise, unusual vehicle handling characteristics, or difficulty controlling the vehicle. A fracture of a toe link while driving increases the risk of a crash.
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in late third quarter 2020 when it is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of March 2, 2020. Owners of record will again be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory prior to delivery.
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
2/12/2020 Ford Motor Company Issues Safety Recall for Select Vehicles for Rear Toe Link Fractures | Ford Media Center
Ford Media Center
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs,
manufactures, markets and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and
Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is
pursuing leadership positions in electrification, autonomous vehicles and mobility solutions. Ford
employs approximately 191,000 people worldwide. For more information regarding Ford, its products
and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit corporate.ford.com.
Feb 12, 2020 | DEARBORN, Mich.
FORD MOTOR COMPANY ISSUES SAFETY RECALL FOR
SELECT VEHICLES FOR REAR TOE LINK FRACTURES
DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 12, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for select 2013-
18 Ford Flex, Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Sedan, Ford Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKT vehicles.
Affected vehicles that are exposed to frequent full rear-suspension articulation (jounce and
rebound) may experience a fractured rear suspension toe link. A rear toe link fracture while driving
increases the risk of a crash.
Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition for the specified
This action affects 211,207 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 15,281 in Canada and 1,396 in
Affected vehicles include:
2013-18 Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant, Sept. 12, 2011,
to June 1, 2017
2013-18 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Sedan and Ford Taurus SHO Performance Pack
equipped vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant, Aug. 25, 2011, to June 1, 2017
Dealers will replace the left- and right-hand rear suspension toe links with new forged toe links.
The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S04.
18 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer NOtification re NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Safety Recall 20S04 Certain 2013-2018 Model Year Flex, MKT, Police nterceptor Sedan, and Taurus SHO with Performance Pack Vehicles Rear Suspension Toe Link Replacement
Miscellaneous Document – Press Release re Ford Motor Company Issues Safety Recall For Select Vehicles for Rear Toe Link Fractures
Defect Notice 573 Report
- Levels vehicle front-to-rear and side-to-side
- Stabilizes vehicle while loaded and maximizes vehicles load carrying capacity
- Adjustability is between 5-100 Pascal per square inch
- Used on pick-ups, class A, B, C motorhomes, vans, commercial vehicles and SUV's
- Kit includes air springs, air line, fasteners, upper and lower brackets, inflation valves, push-to-connect air fittings and detailed instructions
- Part Numbers 985-02-015 and 985-24-029
- Front Pair of Coilovers & Rear pair of 2 shocks for vehicles at factory height or w/0-2" front lift and w/0-1" rear lift
- Fits 4WD vehicles
- Coilover lift height is achieved by adjustable preload ring from factory height up to 2" of lift. Coilovers come preset at 2" of lift.
- Fox's limited one (1) year warranty protects against defects and premature failure.
- Air Adjustable from 5-100 psi and easily installed in 2 Hours or less.
- 2, 000 lbs. Load-leveling capacity
- 60 day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee
- Lifetime warranty
- Pro Comp Suspension K4085 Stage I Lift Kit; 2 in. Lift; Front And Rear ES3000;
- ❀ Compatibility：For 2004-2019 FORD F150 2WD/4WD; 2003 - 2018 Ford Expedition; 2005 - 2008 Lincoln Mark LT;
- ❀ Attention: Will Raise your truck 2.5" in the front. Due to suspension geometry, the ratio between lift height and kit thickness is not 1:1. An alignment is always recommended after installing.
- ❀ Safety: Even in extreme riding conditions, the leveling kits also provide safe driving due to forged from aircraft-grade aluminum billet, 12.9 grade solid bolts. Powder coated black offers better corrosion resistance. Easy to install.
- ❀ Aggressive Look：Give your Ford truck an aggressive look and offers extra ground clearance to use larger tires/rims. Compatible with various crazy off-road model.
- ❀ Lifetime Warranty：If you have any questions, be free to contact us.
- Maintains proper body and frame alignment
- Increases performance and handling characteristics
- Vehicle fluid and road grime resistant
- Superior to stock replacement rubber mounts
- 【Fitment】Fit for 2004-2020 FORD F150. Better replacement OEM control arms, lift the vehicle 0-2”.The control arm could perfectly fit the stock wheels. But If you have exchange an aftermarket rims, please contact our customer service to confirm.
- 【Notes】1、the ball joints don't require extra grease；2、Please tighten the zerk at any direction after refilling grease. Do not over-tighten the zerks, they are made of copper and easy to be snapped off;3、Alignment is required after installing the arms.
- 【Safety Guarantee】TIG welding and Larger tubular of upper control arms are more solid and stable,enhancing safety performance.
- 【Better Driving Performance】PU BUSHING instead of rubber bushing,more suitable for low temperatures；DUST CAP increase service lift；Reasonable structural design provide better driving performance of off-road. After a comprehensive upgrade,2.0 generation improve the angle of pipe.Your trucks can be lifted 2 inches without changing shock absorbers.
- 【Warranty】We offer "30-day refund，6-month warranty of ball joint and 12-month warranty of control arms".Feel free to contact us if you have any problems.
Last update on 2020-04-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIRear Suspension
Last update on 2020-04-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API