June 10, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V432000
A sudden loss of drive power increases the risk of a crash. Transferring occupants of a disabled school bus or ambulance to another vehicle increases their risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V432
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 3,868
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2009-2016 Ford Econoline vehicles equipped with a 5R110W transmission, 5.4L engine, and a school bus or ambulance preparation package. A weld within the coast clutch may fail, causing an unexpected loss of drive power.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the single-engaging coast one-way clutch with a new dual-engaging one-way clutch, free of charge. Interim notices informing owners of the safety risk will be mailed July 22, 2019. Owners will receive a second notice when the remedy becomes available which is expected to be in September 2019. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 19S20.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
June 11, 2019
SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Safety Recall 19S20
Certain 2009-2016 Econoline Ambulance and School Bus Vehicles – Equipped with a 5.4L Engine and 5R110W Transmission
Coast Clutch Cylinder and One-Way Clutch Replacement
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Econoline||2009-2016||Ohio||May 11, 2009 through December 10, 2015|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
This program affects vehicles sold with ambulance or school bus prep-packages or vehicles currently in service as an ambulance or school bus.
NOTE: To request adding an ambulance or school bus that meets the model year, engine and transmission criteria to this program, please submit a Non-Involved contact type to the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site and be prepared to provide pictures that clearly demonstrate vehicle usage and the vehicle’s VIN label.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In all of the affected vehicles, a coast clutch cylinder weld may fail. If this weld fails, the transmission is no longer able to transmit torque in drive or reverse, resulting in a loss of motive power. The majority of weld failures occur when the driver attempts to accelerate from a stop. If the weld failure occurs while the vehicle is moving, the vehicle will coast to a stop with all normal engine, braking and steering functionality, as if the transmission was shifted into neutral. School bus and ambulance applications present unique vulnerabilities if a loss of motive power concern occurs.
DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any new in-stock vehicles involved in this safety recall. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers by the end of the third quarter 2019, when it is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published. Opening an RO against an Awareness or Advance Notice will result in warranty rejections against a recall.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail after repair instructions and parts ordering information have been provided to dealers.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
August – November, 2018: On August 21, 2018 NHTSA opened investigation PE18-010 regarding loss of motive power without warning allegations in 2009-2016 Model Year Econoline vehicles with the 5R110W transmission. In opening their investigation, NHTSA referenced a complaint from a fleet operator that needed to transfer individuals with special needs from a disabled Econoline school bus in a roadway. The Agency sent an Information Request to Ford on September 21, 2018; Ford’s response was provided on November 2, 2018.
Ford’s investigation found reports principally related to a weld in the Coast Clutch Cylinder within the 5R110W transmission, which transmits torque from the engine to the transmission. Investigation of field return parts found evidence of weld failure in the coast clutch cylinder. When this weld fails, the transmission is no longer able to transmit torque, resulting in loss of motive power. The majority of weld failures were found to occur when the torque is highest, which is when the driver attempts to accelerate from a stop. There were no reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
December 2018 – March 2019: Ford’s ongoing analysis found an elevated rate of reports for 5.4L engines compared with other engines. NHTSA provided Ford with vehicle information and fleet contact information obtained by the Agency to facilitate Ford’s inspection of complaint vehicles. These field inspections found no unusual vehicle usage or maintenance practices that might contribute to these reports.
April – May 2019: Ford conducted ongoing reviews with the Agency pertaining to the unique performance of the 5.4L engine applications, as well as certain vehicle applications such as school bus usage. Analysis included detailed review of reports from the field, dealer and fleet visits, and returned part analysis. Though the majority of reports pertained to vehicles at a stop and not while moving, Ford discussed with the Agency the ongoing concern pertaining to school bus applications that present unique vulnerabilities if a loss-of-mobility without warning concern occurs. Ford observed that unique vulnerabilities may also exist on ambulance applications with 5.4L engines based on an elevated rate of reports.
On June 3, 2019, Ford’s Field Review Committee reviewed the concern and approved a field action.
8 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Safety Recall 19S20
Defect Notice 573 Report
1 Associated Investigation
Internal Transmission Failure
NHTSA ID: PE18010
Dated opened: August 21, 2018
ODI received 4 consumer complaints from 2 separate municipalities stating that multiple buses in their fleets had internal transmission failures while stopped and in gear. In all instances, there were no prior indications (slipping, erratic shifting…) when the transmission failed. One of the fleets uses the buses to transport special needs people and when the transmission failed, a second bus was required to transport the stranded passengers requiring they be transfered roadside.
The second fleet operating as public transportation in a rural area, had multiple buses come to a stop at traffic lights, were unable to move forward, and required another bus to transfer the passengers. In these instances the buses were towed to the dealer where a Coast Clutch Hub assembly was replaced.
A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to determine if a defect in the subject vehicle transmissions present an unreasonable risk to operators and passengers.
The above VOQs can be reviewed at NHTSA.gov under identification numbers 11102982, 11102981, 11072827, and 11072830.
- David DiBetta with Scott Fasnacht
- Publisher: Acclaim Press
- Edition no. 0 (01/04/2016)
- Hardcover: 240 pages
- 【MATERIAL】This Bag Organizer is made of Felt Fabric,Soft,Durable,Lightweight,Pliable and Well Constructed.
- 【Multi-pocket】total 6 pockets: 1 big capacity bag, 3 little liner insert purse tote, 2 little side pockets on exterior. Never lose anything in your bag!
- 【CHANGE BAGS EASILY】With all of your accessories stored in this multi-pocket organizer, it's easy to switch purses and bags throughout the day without having to reorganize.
- 【Travel essentia】：A must-have for your daily life, a great companion for your bags wherever your are, travel, work, vacation.Store your electronics, cosmetic supplies, keys, credit cards, wallets, purses, phones and anything you need to carry with you.
- 【MEASUREMENTS】 Mini Size(L*W*H): 19cm x 9cm x 18cm/7.5" x 3.5" x 7.1", Fits LV Neverfull PM, Speedy 25, NOÉ BB, NéoNoé and other handbag.All This Purse Organizer Fit For Any Brand With Similar Size.
- Lightweight, Classic fit, Double-needle sleeve and bottom hem
- Wireless Phone Accessory
- Motorcraft MERCON LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid
- Recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON LV type fluid
- OEM product
- This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
- Check owner guide and transmission fluid charts for application
- Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Dyed red for easy leak detection
- Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives. Helps prevent rust and corrosion
- Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, and guards against transmission shudder
- Offers excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability, as well as good low-temperature fluidity. Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
- Not for use in applications where MERCON V, MERCON SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
- Motorcraft MERCON V is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid
- recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require either MERCON V or MERCON type fluid
- Do not use in applications where MERCON SP, MERCON LV, continuously variable chain type transmission fluid, Motorcraft premium automatic transmission fluid, FNR5 automatic transmission fluid or Type-F automatic transmission fluid is recommended
- Do not use in transfer cases where MERCON ATF was previously recommended
- Motorcraft MERCON V is suitable for use as a hydraulic oil in a wide variety of industrial applications that call for an ISO 46 or SAE 20W viscosity grade hydraulic oil
- Anti-wear protection for clutches, gears and pumps
- Smoother and quieter shifting
- Rust and corrosion protection
- Proper friction control for long life performance and smooth lock ups
- Maxlife Atf Contains A Blend Of Superior Base Oils And A Unique Additive Package To Help Extend The Life Of Transmissions With Over 75, 000 Miles
- It Is Formulated To Maximize Transmission Performance, Reduce Transmission Wear, And Improve And Maintain Smooth Shifting Longer Than Conventional Fluids
- Through Creativity, Productivity And Innovation - This Brand Continues To Develop The Finest Automotive Accessories
Last update on 2019-09-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-09-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API