|Publication Date: November 3, 2011|
Some 2011-2012 Fusion vehicles equipped with 2.5L, 2.5L Atkinson or 3.0L engine and MKZ vehicles equipped 2.5L Atkinson engine and built between 2/1/2011 through 8/16/2011 may experience higher than expected friction in the rearward/half front lower control arms. The steering system senses the high friction condition and may illuminate the instrument cluster stability/traction control light, or the message center may display Steering Fault/Service Steering Soon, accompanied by diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P07AE and U0415.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Verify the vehicle build date:
- Retrieve DTC codes:
- If P07AE and U0415 are not present and were not retrieved. Do not continue with this article. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01, for normal diagnostics.
- If P07AE and U0415 are present, proceed to Step 3.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to WSM, Section 100-02. In order to obtain accurate measurement, the suspension must be in full rebound with the weight of the vehicle supported by the frame. Raise and support the vehicle by the frame to allow the wheels to hang in the rebound position.
- Check both bellows at the steering gear housing/inner tie rod interface externally for signs of cuts or abrasions which may allow water intrusion into the gear assembly.
- Replace both the left and right rearward/haft front lower control arms (FLCA). Refer to WSM, Section 204-01.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BE5Z-3078-B||Front Suspension Arm – Right Hand Side|
|BE5Z-3079-A||Front Suspension Arm – Left Hand Side|
|W500752-S439||Rear Lower Arm-To-Subframe Bolt (2 Req)|
|99958-1222||Rear Lower Arm-To-Subframe Washer (2 Req)|
|W302123-S300||Lower Ball Joint Nut (Rear) (4 Req)|
|W520416-S441||Subframe Bracket-To-Subframe Nut (2 Req)|
|W302281-S300||Subframe Bracket-To-Subframe Washer (2 Req)|
|W302120-S300||Subframe Bracket-To-Body Bolt (4 Req)|
|W705443-S900||Catalytic Converter Manifold-To-Exhaust Flexible Pipe Nut (4 Req)|
|W302420-S300||Tie Rod Cotter Pin (2 Req)|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|111103A||2011-2012 Fusion 2.5L DOHC, 2.5L Atkinson, 3.0L And MKZ 2.5L Atkinson: Check DTCs, Inspect Bellows, Replace Both The Left And Right Rearward Half Lower Control Arms Can Be Claimed With Operation C||1.6 Hrs.|
|111103B||2011-2012 Fusion 2.5L DOHC: Check DTCs, Inspect Bellows, Replace Steering Gear Assembly Can Be Claimed With Operation C||2.0 Hrs.|
|111103B||2011-2012 Fusion And MKZ 2.5L Atkinson, 2011-2012 Fusion 3.0L FWD: Check DTCs, Inspect Bellows, Replace Steering Gear Assembly Can Be Claimed With Operation C||2.2 Hrs.|
|111103B||2011-2012 Fusion 3.0L AWD: Check DTCs, Inspect Bellows, Replace Steering Gear Assembly Can Be Claimed With Operation C||2.3 Hrs.|
|111103C||Additional time to Check And Adjust Front Toe Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B||0.6 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|