May 27, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22E045000
Loss of trailer brake functionality could result in extended stopping distance, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22E045
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 6,383
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain Trailer Brake Controllers sold as accessory parts for 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles, with part numbers ML3Z-19H332-AA, ML3Z-19H332-BA and ML3Z-19H332-CA. The trailer brake controllers may fail to apply the trailer brakes when towing a trailer equipped with an electric or electric-over-hydraulic brake system.
Dealers will update the integrated trailer brake control module software, free of charge. Ford notified dealers on May 31, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 22S38.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
This recall affects Ford Motor Company Trailer Brake Controller kits, service part number ML3Z19H332-AA / ML3Z-19H332-BA / ML3Z-19H332-CA, that were either dealer installed or sold “Over-The-Counter” (OTA).
REASON FOR THIS EQUIPMENT SAFETY RECALL
If the Trailer Brake Controller kits were sold and installed prior to March 29, 2022, they may contain a software error. A software error within the Trailer Brake Controller can result in failure to provide the trailer brake output signal when the towing vehicle’s brakes are applied. This may result in no trailer brake function while driving, loss of trailer brakes, and extended stopping distances increasing the risk of a crash.
Dealers are to review their part sales records and contact any customers to whom a suspect Trailer Brake Controller kit was sold to prior to March 29, 2022. Please perform this part sales review and contact your customer(s) as soon as possible to schedule a service appointment. Dealers are to reprogram the Trailer Brake Controller using FDRS with the latest level software. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Please contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the Web Contact Site, using a VIN specific Non-Involved Vehicle Request, to request adding a vehicle to this equipment recall prior to performing this service action.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters will not be mailed for this program.
- This safety recall must still be performed, even if the owner has paid for a previous repair. Claiming a refund will not close the recall on the vehicle.
- Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this recall if the repair was performed prior to the date indicated in the reimbursement plan, which is posted with this bulletin. Owners are directed to seek reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford Motor Company at P.O. Box 6251, Dearborn, MI 481216251.
- Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the end date specified in the reimbursement plan. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
- Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with reprogramming the Trailer Brake Controller.
Rental vehicles are not approved for this program.
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
Parts are not required to complete this repair.
Trailer Brake Controller kits, service part number ML3Z-19H332-AA / ML3Z-19H332-BA / ML3Z19H332-CA sold or installed on or after March 29, 2022, are not part of this Equipment Recall.
Trailer Brake Controller kits, service part number ML3Z-19H332-AA / ML3Z-19H332-BA / ML3Z19H332-CA currently in stock do not need to be returned or reworked.
1 Affected Product
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Bulletin re Equipment Safety Recall 22S38 Certain 2021-2022 F150 Trailer Brake Controller Kits
Latest Recalls Documents
- Utilizes Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters
- Self-diagnostics features will illuminate LED readout when issues occur
- Requires T-connector to connect to vehicle (sold separately)
- Works proportionally in reverse
- Snap-in dash mounting clip and hardware included
- A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
- Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
- Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
- A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
- Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
- PORTABLE. The Echo trailer brake controller has a non-invasive install and is easily transferrable from one vehicle to another. It plugs into any 7-way connector, wirelessly links to your smartphone using Bluetooth
- SMARTPHONE-READY. The Echo brake controller wirelessly syncs with your Apple or Android phone, turning it into a brake controller interface with the Smart Control app (Warning: Avoid distracted driving. Only make adjustments when vehicle is stationary). Note: If Bluetooth connection is lost, the brake controller will continue to function safely, using the most recently programmed settings
- ZERO-TOOL INSTALL. Installing this trailer brake controller is as easy as plugging in a 7-way trailer wiring connector. It requires no tools, no extra wires and no hardware. A locking tab and strap keep it firmly connected. NOTE: Strap stored inside cap
- HIGHLY RESPONSIVE. Echo uses a triple-axis accelerometer to provide smooth, safe braking. It maintains responsive braking, even when your phone screen is locked, receives incoming calls or if the Bluetooth connection is lost
- VERSATILE. This electronic trailer brake controller easily transfers between vehicles and trailers and works on virtually any trailer with 1 to 2 axles (2 to 4 brakes). It is also fully compatible with cruise control, anti-lock brakes, low-voltage systems
- The award winning REDARC Tow-Pr is the first of its kind to offer two types of braking in the one unit. The Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller uses both proportional and user-controlled mode, and features Active Calibration.
- With proportional mode inertia sensing for highway commutes, you can ensure your electric trailer brake controller will initiate safe, controlled braking when the time arises.
- The REDARC Tow-Pro Electric Brake Controllers are designed to suit most common trailer braking applications. Our sleek innovative designs also require minimal dash space and are simple to install and operate.
- Additionally, the REDARC Tow-Pro Classic Electric Brake Controller offers a single user-controlled mode of trailer braking. Simply adjust the required force your towed vehicle requires with the turn of a control knob when ever needed.
- PROPORTIONAL ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER: Provides automatic braking based on the intensity and rate at which you apply your tow vehicle’s brakes, thanks to an internal inertia sensor. This makes the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller ideal in any braking situation
- UTILIZES BLUETOOTH WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY: The Prodigy RF trailer brake controller communicates seamlessly from the handheld remote to the trailer-mounted power module
- NON-INVASIVE: Mounting to the trailer, the Prodigy RF mobile brake controller is the perfect solution if you want a non-invasive, simple-to-use unit. It is the perfect solution for fleet or leased vehicles
- EASY-TO-READ DISPLAY: Digital display on handheld remote shows proper connection, power output, and complete diagnostics
- BOOST FEATURE: Boost provides up to three levels of stopping power at the touch of a button, giving you confidence in stopping safely when you’re hauling heavier loads and/or need more power supplied faster to stop
- Advanced brake technology that mirrors the braking of the tow vehicle for safe, smooth stops
- Works on trailers with electric or hydraulic brakes
- Digital power and 7 sensitivity settings with intuitive vertical manual slide
- Short proof protection for up to 8 trailer brakes
- Simple installation with separate components that mount wherever you want them and no tools or drilling required
- Requires no leveling with "up-front" buttons for easy access to Output and Boost, easily controls trailers with up to 4 axles
- Proportional brake control means sure, even stopping power
- Boost feature gives the ability to apply more initial trailer braking when road conditions warrant
- Diagnostic features incorporated in LED display for easy review; reverse battery protection; automatically achieves proper level and compensates for uphill/downhill travel
- Plug and play feature allows for quick and easy connection; bracket, mounting hardware, and comprehensive instructions included
- FREE 3 YEAR WARRANTY: Wireless communication between the remote hand unit and trailer mounted power module
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION: Once the Autowbrake is mounted on your trailer and connected to your vehicle, there is no sync up necessary to the key fob.
- VERSATILITY: Built for all-weather conditions and works on everything from luxury cars to back-road pickup trucks. Sleep mode automatically disables controller if another brake controller is detected
- UNIQUE CONCEPT: The Autowbrake is a self-contained fully functional, electric brake control that mounts where it truly belongs - on the trailer. With the Autowbrake, you can get emergency braking or general braking from your trailer brakes automatically. This means that, unlike time-delay controllers - which send the same amount of preset power to your trailer brakes every time - proportional controllers are able to adapt to every braking situation differently.
Last update on 2022-07-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.