|TSB 16-0098||6.7L DIESEL – OPERATOR COMMANDED REGENERATION (OCR) CAPABILITY FOR VEHICLES WITH STANDARD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ONLY|
|Publication Date: July 13, 2016|
|FORD:||2011-2016 F-Super Duty|
This article supersedes TSB 14-0171 to update the vehicle model years.
Some 2011-2016 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine that are primarily in a stationary or off-highway low speed use may exhibit frequent exhaust regeneration attempts, Drive To Clean maintenance messages, the wrench light on and/or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2459 for frequent regeneration. If regeneration attempts are unsuccessful, DTC P2463 may set as a result of soot accumulation in the diesel particulate filter (DPF). Vehicles operated in this manner may not easily allow for normal exhaust regeneration and may benefit from OCR capability so the unit can perform complete regeneration cycles in a stationary setting.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
Operator Commanded Regeneration (OCR) is intended to allow the operator of the vehicle to perform manual regeneration of the DPF without the need to drive the vehicle. This option is only available on the standard level instrument cluster with the two line LED display screen. This option is not available on vehicles equipped with the 4.2 inch color display.
- Check the vehicles build date.
- If the vehicle was built before 11/5/2010, proceed to Step 2.
- If the vehicle was built on or after 11/5/2010, proceed to Step 4.
- Reprogram the IC to the latest calibration using IDS release 92.01 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
- Reprogram the PCM and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 92.01 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
NOTE: FOR VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 11/5/2010, PLEASE PROVIDE THE CUSTOMER WITH A COPY OF THE CUSTOMER INFORMATION LOCATED AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE PRIOR TO RELEASING THE VEHICLE. VEHICLES BUILT ON OR AFTER 11/5/2010 WILL HAVE THIS INFORMATION CONTAINED WITH THE ORIGINAL OWNER GUIDE PACKET INFORMATION.
- Enable OCR by using IDS and following the procedure below:
- Select – Module Programming.
- Select – Programmable Parameters.
- Select – Personality.
- Select – Forced Regeneration Request.
- Select – Enable and follow the IDS screen prompts to complete programming.
Information Only – Not Warrantable
- Reprogramming emission-related (OBDII) modules on some vehicles manufactured in 1995 and all vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present
- Reprogramming or reconfiguring non-emission-related modules on many vehicles (UBP and MS-CAN not supported)
Module Build Data (As-Built)
Use VIN to obtain As-Built data