November 10, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V692000
The failed bracket could result in a loss of park function which can cause unintended vehicle movement, and loss of motive power while driving which increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V692
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 15,587
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2014-2016 Explorer, 2014-2015 Taurus and 2014 Edge vehicles equipped with 2.0L or 2.3L engines and front wheel drive. The support bracket for the front drive axle halfshaft may fail.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the link shaft bracket, free of charge. Parts are not currently available. Owners received an interim notification detailing safety risk December 8, 2020. A second letter will be mailed when parts become available in January 2021. The recall began February 2, 2021. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 20S63.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Taurus||2014-2015||Chicago||November 1, 2013 through December 8, 2015|
|Explorer||2014-2016||Chicago||November 1, 2013 through December 23, 2015|
|Edge||2014||Oakville||November 1, 2014 through December 23, 2014|
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the vehicle may experience a failure of the Front Halfshaft Bracket. A damaged Halfshaft Bracket can cause a vibration, grinding, banging noise from the driveline while moving. The bracket may fail without warning and could result in a loss of movement while driving. In some instances, there may be a loss of park function that could result in unintended vehicle movement, increasing the risk of accident. In addition, a failed bracket can allow separation of the halfshaft from the engine resulting in secondary damage to surrounding components.
Dealers are to inspect Front Halfshaft Bracket and if necessary, replace per technical instructions. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of February 1, 2021. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity|
|FB5Z-3K305-B||Front Halfshaft Bracket||1||1|
|W706931-S439||Studs for Halfshaft Bracket (2 required, 4 in pkg)||1||2|
|W701731-S439||Nuts (2 required, 4 in pkg)||1||2|
|W500635-S439||Mounting Bolts (3 required, 1 in pkg)||3||3|
2. Inspect the Right Hand (RH) side half shaft bracket. Is the new style bracket already installed?
The new bracket will have three mounting bolts, the old style bracket will have two. See Figure 1.
Yes – Passes Inspection, The inspection is complete, install the underbody shield, if removed.
No – Does Not Pass Inspection, Proceed to Step 3.
3. If equipped, remove the two (2) side shield screws and remove the shield located in the passenger fender splash shield area.
6. Remove and discard the two (2) half shaft retaining nuts.
7. Remove and discard the two (2) RH half shaft bearing bracket bolts and remove the bracket.
NOTE: To see the old and new half shaft bracket. See Figure 1.
8. Install two (2) new half shaft bearing studs into the new bracket.
- Torque: 15 Nm (11 lb-ft).
9. Install the new RH half shaft bearing bracket and three (3) bolts.
- Torque: 48 Nm (35 lb-ft).
10. Install the two (2) new half shaft retaining nuts. Please follow the WSM Procedures in Section 205-04.
- Torque: 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
11. If equipped, reverse the removal procedure to install the underbody shields.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Federal law prohibits selling motor vehicle parts or components that are under
safety, compliance, or emissions recall. Unless a part is requested to be returned to Ford, all parts replaced under this FSA must be scrapped in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal environmental protection and hazardous material regulations. Refer to the Parts Retention, Return, & Scrapping section of the FSA dealer bulletin for further information.
FORD MOTOR COMPANY ISSUES TWO SAFETY RECALLS IN NORTH AMERICA
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 13, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing two safety recalls in North America.
In affected vehicles, the link shaft bracket may fracture after long-term use as a result of certain vehicle vibrations. This could cause a loss of motive power while driving or a loss of park function resulting in unintended vehicle movement.
Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this condition.
This action affects approximately 15,587 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, and 367 in Canada.
Affected vehicles include:
- 2014-16 Ford Taurus and Ford Explorer vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from Nov. 1, 2013, to Dec. 23, 2015
- 2014 Ford Edge vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant from Nov. 1 to Dec. 23, 2014
Dealers will replace the link shaft bracket. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S63.
Eighteen of the affected vehicles were produced with a driveshaft that may fracture along the weld seam. Defective driveshafts could lose the mechanical connection between the transfer case and rear axle, which may result in unintended vehicle movement and/or loss of motive power. Defective driveshafts may also deform and separate from the driveline and potentially contact the fuel tank, increasing the risk of fuel leaks and/or fire.
Ford is not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires related to this condition.
This action affects approximately 10,905 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 1,291 in Canada and 102 in Mexico. Affected vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant Aug. 24 to Sept. 30, 2019.
6 Affected Products
12 Associated Documents
ISSUED Renotification NoticeRCRN-20V692-3643
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re Safety Recall 20S63 Certain Front Wheel Drive 2014-2015 Model Year Taurus, 2014-2016 Model Year Explorer, and 2014 Model Year Edge Vehicles Equipped with a 2.0L or 2.3L EngineFront Half shaft Bracket ReplacementRCMN-20V692-4043
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-2
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-20V692-5138
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re Safety Recall 20S63 – Supplement #1 Certain Front Wheel Drive 2014-2015 Model Year Taurus, 2014-2016 Model Year Explorer, and 2014 Model Year Edge Vehicles Equipped with a 2.0L or 2.3L Engine Front Halfshaft Bracket ReplacementRCMN-20V692-0898
Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RIONL-20V692-2931
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2021-1RCLQRT-20V692-5580
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Safety Recall 20S63 Certain 2014-2015 Model Year Taurus, 2014-2016 Model Year Explorer, and 2014 Model Year Edge Equipped with a 2.0L or 2.3L Engine Front Halfshaft Bracket ReplacementRCMN-20V692-4906
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-3RCLQRT-20V692-4811
Latest Recalls Documents
- Geniune OEM part
- Fit type: Universal
- Package Dimensions: 11.404 L x 30.810 H x 23.012 W (centimeters)
- 5 Quart
- Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Dyed red for easy leak detection
- Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives. Helps prevent rust and corrosion
- Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, and guards against transmission shudder
- Offers excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability, as well as good low-temperature fluidity. Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
- Not for use in applications where MERCON V, MERCON SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
- Product Type:WIRELESS ACCESSORY
- These are Transmission Fluids
- Item Package Weight : 2 pounds
- Item Package Dimension: 13" L x 11" W x 10" H
- Anti-wear protection for clutches, gears and pumps
- Smoother and quieter shifting
- Rust and corrosion protection
- Proper friction control for long life performance and smooth lock ups
- Provides consistent shift performance for new and old GM transmissions
- Extends transmission fluid life and prevents fluid breakdown at higher operating temperatures
- Provides excellent oxidative stability under severe conditions
- Reduces sludge and varnish build-up
- For any product use or product technical questions call 1-800-TEAM-VAL
- SUITABLE FOR USE IN 95% of ATF VEHICLES in operation with US registered light duty applications.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE CONDITIONING AGENTS prolong seal elasticity to prevent leaks
- IMPROVE DURABILITY & TRANSMISSION LIFE with anti-wear technology to avoid costly repairs
- ENHANCED HIGH & LOW TEMP PERFORMANCE supports transmission fluid in all weather situations
- MEETS THE CHALLENGING DEMANDS of automatic transmissions
- ENSURES SMOOTH SHIFTING AND MAXIMIZE POWER TRANSFOR with enhanced anti-shudder protection
- IMPROVES DURABILITY AND REDUCES FOAM AND OXIDATION with advanced anti-wear technology and a premium blend of base stocks
- PROVIDES BETTER OIL FLOW in both low and high temperatures
Last update on 2022-08-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.