|EXHAUST SULFUR ODOR AFTER HARD ACCELERATION - CLIMATE CONTROL IN RECIRCULATION MODE ONLY|
This may be more noticeable after hard acceleration, driving in hilly conditions and/or towing a trailer.
Customers may indicate the odor smells like sulfur.
- Remove the rear bumper.
- Replace the four (4) air extractors.
- Lower and support the rear section of the exhaust system.
- Clean the areas on the underside of vehicle where seam sealer and expandable foam will be applied. (Figures 1-6)
- Cover the exhaust system.
- Apply a generous amount of Motorcraft Seam Sealer to the rear horizontal sheet metal lap joints on the left and right sides of the vehicle and the rear sheet metal overlap flange across the rear of the vehicle. (Figures 1-6)
- Fill crush cans with Lord Fusor 130 or 3M 08458 expandable foam. Follow the instructions on the can for application. (Figure 7)
- Install foam from the Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Repair Kit (164-R4901) around the bumper beam attachment studs. (Figure 8)
- Some vehicle configurations may have unused bumper attachment studs on each side of the vehicle. Apply Motorcraft Seam Sealer around unused studs. (Figure 8)
- Reinstall the rear exhaust system.
- Reinstall the rear bumper cover.
- Reprogram the heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) module to the latest calibration using IDS or Ford J2534 release 92.04 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
|Part Number||Part Description|
|130||Lord Corporation Fusor Rigid Foam (Super Fast)|
|08458||3M Rigid Pillar Foam|
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|AL2Z-61280B62-A||Grille - Air Inlet|
|TA-2-B||Motorcraft Seam Sealer|
- Reprogramming emission-related (OBDII) modules on some vehicles manufactured in 1995 and all vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present
- Reprogramming or reconfiguring non-emission-related modules on many vehicles (UBP and MS-CAN not supported)
Module Build Data (As-Built)
Use VIN to obtain As-Built data