The affected vehicles are equipped with a passenger side frontal air bag that may be susceptible to moisture intrusion which, over time, could cause the inflator to rupture.
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger’s frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
The recall began on December 4, 2015.
Note: This recall partially supersedes recall 14V-787.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
May 3, 2016
REF: Safety Recall 16S03
All 2004-2006 Model Year Ranger Vehicles Driver Airbag Inflator Replacement
REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
- The process for returning replaced airbag inflators has changed. All claims paid beginning May 10, 2016 will be issued FCS-700 tags, and airbag inflators must be returned through the Regional Core Recovery Centers (RCRCs). RCRCs will only pick-up airbag inflators that have a corresponding FCS-700 Tag. Airbag inflators replaced under claims paid prior to May 10, 2016 must be returned using the previous shipping process.
- To comply with NHTSA’s directive to have traceability of airbag inflator installations in vehicles, dealers are required to document the new airbag inflator serial number and provide to Ford during submission of the warranty claim.
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Ranger||2004||Edison||April 7, 2003 through March 2, 2004|
|Ranger||2004 – 2006||Twin Cities||March 24, 2003 through May 4, 2006|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
NOTE: Safety Recall 15S22 includes all Ranger vehicles previously included in Safety Recall 14S28. Ranger passenger airbag inflator replacements completed under Safety Recall 14S28 are equivalent to 15S22 repairs and have been used by Ford to close Safety Recall 15S22. Always check OASIS for the latest information.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Takata has determined that the airbag inflator propellant wafers in some inflators may experience an alteration over time, which could potentially lead to an over-aggressive combustion in the event of an airbag deployment. This potential condition could create excessive internal pressure when the airbag is deployed, which could result in the body of the inflator rupturing upon deployment increasing the risk of injury to occupants.
Dealers are to replace the passenger airbag inflator. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
To ensure an ample supply of parts are available, owners of affected vehicles will be notified in separate mailings beginning first quarter 2016, prioritized by vehicle age. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $7,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Attachment IV: Regional Core Recovery Center Airbag Inflator Return Process
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
OASIS was activated on May 28, 2015.
FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists were available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on May 28, 2015. Owner names and addresses will be available second quarter 2016.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
ADDITIONAL LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS
Submit a request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to the repair if you have any of the following:
- Damage that you believe was caused by the covered condition.
- A condition that requires additional labor and/or parts to complete the repair.
- Aftermarket equipment or non-Ford modifications to the vehicle which might prevent the repair of the covered condition.
Requests for approval after completion of the repair may not be granted. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to deny coverage for related damage in cases where the vehicle owner has not had this recall performed on a timely basis. Additional related damage parts are subject to random selection for return to the Ford Warranty Parts Analysis Center (WPAC).
Refunds are not approved for this program.
The use of rental vehicles is not approved for this program.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE) or One Warranty Solution (OWS).
- DWE: refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
- OWS: when entering claims in DMS software, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (15S22) is the sub code.
NOTE: The serial number of the new airbag inflator must be provided to Ford for the claim to be processed. The Technical Information in this bulletin advises technicians to document the new airbag inflator serial number on the repair order.
- Enter the 11 character serial number of the new airbag inflator in the claim as follows:
- For claims submitted using DMS or OWS on-line, enter the serial number in the Test Results Section.
- Select DTC REQUIRED MEASUREMENT OR RESULTS from the drop down list. Enter the serial number in the CODE field.
- For claims submitted using ACESII on-line, enter the serial number on the ACESII DIAG CODE ENTRY screen.
- MIL ON = N
- Enter the serial number in the OTHER field.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a repair line that is separate from the repair line on which the FSA is claimed. Additional labor and/or parts require prior approval from the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site.
- For claims submitted using DMS or OWS on-line, enter the serial number in the Test Results Section.
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Ranger – Replace Passenger Airbag Inflator||15S22B||0.8 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity|
|8L5Z-10044A74-A||Passenger Airbag Inflator Kit||1|
The DOR/COR number for this recall is 51009.
Order your parts through normal order processing channels.
PART RETENTION AND RETURN
NOTE: All replaced airbag inflators must be returned in the new inflator box. If the new airbag inflator box is damaged or lost, contact Miguel Prigadaa at 210-250-5078 or [email protected] for a replacement box.
NOTE: RCRCs will only pick-up airbag inflators that have a corresponding FCS-700 Tag. Airbag inflators replaced under claims paid prior to May 10, 2016 must be returned using the previous shipping process.
- Part return instructions for dealers in the lower 48 United States:
- Dealers must monitor their PEARS register. A FCS-700 tag will be generated for each airbag inflator on claims paid on or after May 10, 2016. Airbag inflators will be picked up by the RCRCs.
- The RCRC will not pick up airbag inflators that are not properly packaged in the new inflator box. o Refer to Attachment IV for specific airbag inflator return instructions and documentation.
- Disregard prepaid FedEx shipping instructions that may be included in new airbag inflator boxes. However, airbag inflators replaced under claims paid prior to May 10, 2016 must still be returned using the previous FedEx shipping process.
- Part return instructions for dealers outside of the lower 48 United States:
- Continue to follow the previous FedEx airbag inflator return process of contacting Miguel Prigadaa at 210-250-5078 or [email protected]
- Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 “WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.”
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
CERTAIN 2004-2005 RANGER VEHICLES — PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
Takata has determined that the airbag inflator propellant wafers in some inflators may experience an alteration over time, which could potentially lead to an over-aggressive combustion in the event of an airbag deployment. This potential condition could create excessive internal pressure when the airbag is deployed, which could result in the body of the inflator rupturing upon deployment increasing the risk of injury to occupants. Dealers are to remove the affected airbag module from the vehicle and replace only the inflator portion of the airbag. The serial number from the new airbag inflator must be recorded on the work order. The replaced inflator will be placed into the packaging from the new inflator to be returned to Takata.
PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
- Remove the passenger airbag from the vehicle. Please follow WSM procedures in Section 501-20B.
- Set the airbag face down onto a surface that will not scratch or damage the airbag face.
- Remove the wiring harness connector retaining clip from the wiring harness connector. See Figure 1.
- Remove the two airbag inflator retaining bracket nuts and the bracket, discard the nuts. See Figure 2.
- With an assistant holding the airbag assembly, remove the inflator from the airbag assembly by pushing outward on the inflator. Set the airbag inflator aside for return shipping. See Figure 3.
- If required, use of a brass punch is permitted (only at the location shown) to free the inflator from its mounted position.
NOTE: The serial number of the new airbag inflator must be provided to Ford for the warranty claim to be processed.
- Record the 11 character serial number of the new airbag inflator on the repair order. See Figure 4.
NOTE: The indexed end of the airbag inflator must be installed first to mate with the permanently mounted bracket.
- Install the new passenger airbag inflator into the airbag assembly. See Figure 5.
- Install the airbag inflator retaining bracket using two new nuts. See Figure 2.
- Tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb.in).
NOTE: Line up the T-shape index on both the wiring harness electrical connector and the airbag inflator. Pull gently on the wiring harness to ensure it is properly seated.
- Connect the new wiring harness to both sides of the passenger airbag inflator. See Figure 6.
- Re-install the passenger airbag. Please follow WSM procedures in Section 501-20B.
- Package the replaced inflator in the new part box and provide to the appropriate dealership personnel for part returns.
* * * IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL * * *
(PROGRAMA DE SEGURIDAD IMPORTANTE)
Safety Recall Notice 15S22 / NHTSA Recall 15V-322
Aviso de Revisión de Seguridad 15S22
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 12345678901234567
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.
|What is the issue?||The front passenger side air bag inflator housing may rupture and deploy abnormally in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger side frontal airbag. An inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||Parts are now available to repair your vehicle. Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace the passenger airbag inflator free of charge (parts and labor).|
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 15S22. Provide the dealer with your VIN, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.
If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions. Ford Motor Company wants you to have this safety recall completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed.
Please note: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.You received this notice because government regulations require that notification be sent to the last known owner of record. Our records are based primarily on state registration and title data, which indicate that you are the current owner.|
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance.
RETAIL OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Ford
Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com----escape_sem_autolink_uri:739a8af9a8600f35877cc0da52e2d462----
Para asistencia en Español:
Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame al Centro de Relación con Clientes al 1-866-436-7332 y presione 2 para Español.
FLEET OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, Option #3 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
Or you may contact us through the Internet at www.fleet.ford.com----escape_sem_autolink_uri:7c530a6f7d73b78806c18af1721b3a06---- If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1800-424-9153) or go to www.safercar.gov----escape_sem_autolink_uri:8b0994495785a0251438bc99d36b5dd4---- Reference NHTSA Safety Recall 15V-322.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division