April 14, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V253000
Damaged or separated wiring may result in the steering column not moving as intended in certain crash conditions, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V253
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Potential Number of Units Affected 19,175
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2022 F-150 vehicles. The power-adjustable telescoping steering column connector wiring may be too short. Wiring that is too short can become damaged or separate if the adjustable steering column is extended all the way.
Dealers will inspect the steering column wiring harness and repair the wiring, as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed May 9, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 22S24.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|F-150||2022||Dearborn Truck||September 14, 2021 through February 25, 2022|
|Kansas City||October 22, 2021 through February 24, 2022|
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles equipped with a power adjustable steering column (telescopic), the wiring harness takeout for the deployable column Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) connector may be an incorrect length. A wiring takeout that is too short may become damaged and separate from the deployable column SRS connector when the steering column is adjusted outward using the steering column control switch. A damaged or disconnected deployable column SRS connector will illuminate the airbag warning indicator and prevent the collapsible steering column feature from operating properly during certain crash conditions, increasing the risk of injury.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the deployable column SRS connector wiring takeout for the correct length. If the length is determined to be too short, a new wiring pigtail is to be installed and the steering column deployable column SRS connector inspected for damage. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: Parts are currently not available in sufficient quantities to repair all vehicles. Part orders can be requested through the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) using the SSSC link at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen to repair vehicles that meet the following criteria only:
- Affected customer vehicles that arrive at your dealership.
- New in-stock vehicles with a signed sales contract.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of May 9, 2022. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
- Ford has not issued instructions to stop selling/delivering or driving used vehicles under this safety recall. Owners should contact their dealer for an appointment to have their vehicles remedied as soon as practicable once parts become available. Owners can continue to safely drive their vehicles. To reduce the likelihood of wiring damage, owners should refrain from adjusting their steering column outward until the vehicle can be inspected. If the airbag warning indicator illuminates, owners should schedule a repair.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Inspect all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery. Due to a limited quantity of repair parts, the initial repair of in stock units will be limited to vehicles with a signed sales contract.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act law effective June 2016 prohibits a rental company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. Please consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
- This safety recall must still be performed, even if the owner has paid for a previous repair. Claiming a refund will not close the recall on the vehicle.
- Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this recall if the repair was performed prior to the date indicated in the reimbursement plan, which is posted with this bulletin. Owners are directed to seek reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford Motor Company at P.O. Box 6251, Dearborn, MI 481216251.
- Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the end date specified in the reimbursement plan. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
- Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with the repair of the deployable column SRS connector wiring.
Dealers are pre-approved for up to 1 day for a rental vehicle if the inspection determines a wiring repair is necessary. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Rentals will only be reimbursed for the day(s) the vehicle is at the dealership for part replacement. Prior approval for more than 1 rental day is required from the SSSC. Contact the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site for consideration and approval if appropriate.
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity|
|BU2Z-14S411-BPB||Wiring Pigtail Kit
(Deployable Column SRS Connector)
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity|
|Obtain Locally (If Required)||Wire Harness Felt Tape*
Coroplast 8510 or Equivalent
– Tape Specification: ESKU5T-1A303-AA (B10Y21)
|Rosin Core Solder|
NOTICE: DO NOT extend/telescope the steering column as this could damage the column and/or the deployable column Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) connector and wiring harness takeout.
1. Adjust the steering wheel in the lowest and most inward position.
2. Release the tabs and disconnect the gap hider from the upper steering column shroud. See Figure 1.
3. Lift the gap hider up and inspect the deployable column wiring harness takeout for a tight condition, indicating potential strain on the wires going into the SRS connector C2360, and inspect C2360 for damage. See Figures 2 and 3.
– Does the deployable column wiring harness takeout exhibit a tight condition as shown in the ‘Does Not Pass’ image of Figure 3 or is C2360 visibly damaged?
YES – Does not pass inspection. Proceed to the SERVICE PROCEDURE. (Page 3)
NO – Passes preliminary inspection. Proceed to Step 4.
NOTE: Deployable column wiring harness takeout and C2360 shown from the side with steering column shrouds off for clarity.
4. Being cautious not to potentially cause strain on the deployable column wiring harness takeout or damage C2360, gradually extend/telescope the steering column to the full outward position while watching carefully the takeout for signs of a tight condition.
– Has the deployable column wiring harness takeout developed a tight condition as shown in the ‘Does Not Pass’ image of Figure 3?
YES – Does not pass secondary inspection. Proceed to the SERVICE PROCEDURE.
NO – Passes secondary inspection. Reinstall the gap hider by reversing the removal procedure.
See Figure 1. No further action is required. The Safety recall is complete.
NOTICE: DO NOT extend/telescope the steering column as this could damage the column and/or the deployable column SRS connector and wiring harness takeout.
WARNING: Incorrect repair techniques or actions can cause an accidental Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) deployment. Never compromise or depart from these instructions. Failure to precisely follow all instructions could result in serious personal injury from an accidental deployment.
WARNING: Before beginning any service procedure in this manual, refer to health and safety warnings in section 100-00 General Information. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.
2. Turn the vehicle ignition to the ON position. Check if the airbag warning indicator is on in the instrument panel to determine if a SRS fault is present. Follow the appropriate depower method within WSM section 501-20B to depower the SRS system.
3. Disconnect C2360 and cut the wires as close as possible to the back of the connector to preserve the maximum wiring harness takeout length. See Figure 4.
4. Inspect the male side (steering column side) of C2360 for any sign of damage. See Figure 5.
– Is the male side of C2360 damaged?
YES – Does not pass inspection. Special Service Support Center (SSSC) approval is required for steering column assembly replacement. Capture and submit clear photo(s) to the SSSC showing the damage to the male side of C2360. If approved, the steering column will be replaced later within this procedure. Proceed to Step 5.
NO – Passes inspection. Proceed to Step 5.
NOTE: Male side of C2360 shown for clarity. This connector exhibits no signs of damage.
NOTE: DO NOT remove the fir tree (black portion of the modular harness retainer) from the steering column as it is one time use only. The black fir tree can be separated from the white taped on portion of the modular harness retainer so the fir tree does not have to be replaced.
5. Depress the tab on the modular harness retainer fir tree and release the main wire harness from the steering column. See Figure 6.
6. Carefully remove and discard the tape from the harness takeout circuits all the way to the main wire harness. See Figure 7.
NOTE: Obtain one BU2Z-14S411-BPB wiring pigtail kit. Discard the butt splices included in the kit as they are not used in this procedure.
7. Strip the insulation from the harness takeout circuits to expose 12 mm (0.47 in) of wire and place the heat shrink tubes on both circuits. See Figure 8.
8. Remove and discard the sticker on the new pigtail. See Figure 9.
9. Using a marker, mark the entire length of the wire located in cavity one. See Figure 10.
10. Using one hand, hold/pinch the wires at the back of the pigtail connector to prevent stress on terminals during the twisting process. Using your other hand, twist the circuits together so there are a MINIMUM of 4 crossovers every 50 mm (2 in) for 200 mm (7.9 in). 16 crossovers minimum required. Extra twists/crossovers are acceptable. See Figure 11.
11. Strip the insulation from the new pigtail circuits to expose 20 mm (0.8 in) of wire. See Figure 12.
12. Splice in the new pigtail to the harness takeout by matching the previously marked wire from cavity one of the pigtail to the WH-GN wire of the harness takeout and by matching the wire from cavity two of the pigtail to the other harness takeout circuit. Follow the recommended wiring splice procedures using the soldering method 2 in Section 5 of the Wiring Diagram. See Figure 13.
NOTE: Use caution to ensure no solder drips onto the vehicle carpet or trim.
13. Position the heat shrink tubes over the solder joints making sure the joints are located in the middle of the tubes. Evenly heat up the heat shrink tubes until the heat shrink tube sealant bubbles out of both ends. See Figure 14.
14. After the heat shrink tubes have cooled off, carefully twist the two harness takeout wires together in the area not previously twisted with a MINIMUM of 3 crossovers. See Figure 15.
15. Align and wrap the repaired wires in Coroplast 8510 Wire Harness Felt Tape or equivalent from the branch point on the main wire harness to 10 mm (0.4 in) from the back of C2360 using a 35% overlap on the new tape wrap. See Figure 16.
16. Measure 115 mm (4.5 in) from the back of C2360 and mark the wiring harness takeout tape using an appropriate marker. This mark will be the new wiring harness takeout point for reassembly.
See Figure 17.
17. From the previous mark made on the harness takeout tape, align and wrap the harness takeout to the main wire harness on the OUTSIDE of the scroll tube using Coroplast 8510 Wire Harness Felt Tape or equivalent. The splices MUST be located on the opposite side of the main wire harness modular retainer. The branch point MUST be located on the scroll tube and CANNOT be located beyond the left wing of the main wire harness modular retainer. See Figures 18 and 19.
NOTE: The scroll tube is the rigid plastic tube, located under the main wire harness tape. The main wire harness bundle passes through the scroll tube. The main wire harness modular retainer is taped to the scroll tube.
NOTE: Section view diagram shown for clarity.
NOTICE: If the steering column replacement is required, and has been authorized by the SSSC, do not continue with this procedure until a new steering column has been installed to prevent damage to the new wiring pigtail C2360.
18. Per Step 4 earlier in this procedure, is the steering column replacement required and approved by the SSSC?
NO – Proceed to Step 19.
19. Re-engage the main wire harness modular retainer to the steering column and reconnect C2360.
See Figure 20.
20. Follow the appropriate repower method within WSM section 501-20B to repower the SRS system.
- Confirm there is nothing obstructing the motion of the steering column.
- Press and hold the steering column control until the steering column stops moving.
- Press the steering column control again.
NOTE: The steering column may start to move again.
- When the steering column stops, continue holding the control for a few seconds.
- Repeat for each direction, as necessary.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Federal law prohibits selling motor vehicle parts or components that are under safety, compliance, or emissions recall. Unless a part is requested to be returned to Ford, all parts replaced under this FSA must be scrapped in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal environmental protection and hazardous material regulations. Refer to the Parts Retention, Return, & Scrapping section of the FSA dealer bulletin for further information.
1 Affected Product
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Bulletin re NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD Safety Recall 22S24 Certain 2022 Model Year F-150 Vehicles Equipped with Power Adjustable Steering Column – Deployable Column Connector Wiring Harness Takeout Length Inspection
Latest Recalls Documents
- High Quality Material: Butt splice connectors are made of top brass conductor, soft PVC insulation and tin plated finish.
- Flared Insulation: The flared barrel of the insulated butt connectors is for easy cable insertion.
- WIRE-STOP Structure: Wire-Stop structure of the wire insulated terminals is conductive to insert wire into right place to ensure the effect of compression.
- Wide Applications: Insulated crimp terminals butt connectors are ideal for automotive use. Please crimp one side of the butt connector with professional tool or they will be lose.
- Package included: 150 pcs red butt connectors(A.W.G22-16) + 100 pcs blue butt connectors(A.W.G16-14) + 50 pcs yellow butt connectors(A.W.G12-10).
- 【PREMIUM IN QUALITY】- Every single piece of our crimp connectors is made with tinned thick red copper barrel and polyolefin heat shrink tubing[Shrink Ratio 3:1], which ensure secure crimping and tight wire connection with high current flow and minimum voltage drop, preventing wire failures
- 【SAFETY MATTERS】- Safety is the top priority during any of your work, certificated products can ensure you reassured and secure using experience. Our heat shrink connectors meet the standards of CE, RoHS, ISO9001, SGS, you’re allowed to use these proffesional butt splice connectors with full confidence for a variety of electrical projects and wire connection issues
- 【MADE TO LAST】- Thanks to the thick tinned copper and seamless barrel desgin, it ensures strong and secure crimping all the time with no wire coming off issues. What's more, the polyolefin heat shrink tubing provides the high tensile strength and resistance to mechanical damage so there's no worry of rat chewing or similiar phisical damage issues. When heated with a heat gun, the adhesive melting inside create a waterproof and insulated seal, preventing electric leakage and corrosion
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】- Marine grade heat shrink butt splices can be widely applied in areas such as automotive industry, marine, science projects, family electrical wire connections and so on, due to its durability, steadily, water and corrosion resistace
- 【COST EFFECTIVE PACKAGE】- Considerate product quantity of 100pcs/pack with a cost effective price lower than 10, allows for your personal or working use. What’s more, we stand behind our customers’ satisfaction. For any reason you're not happy with this deal, you're covered by our 60 day NO-QUESTION-ASKED MONEY BACK
- Tinned Copper Core: Butt connectors use a heavy-duty copper core, strong crimp, higher conductivity.
- Package Includes: 100 Blue heat shrink butt connectors that can be used on wire AWG from 16 to 14.
- Solderless Crimping: Insert the wires to be connected, crimp both sides with crimping pliers, and then heat with a heat gun.
- 3:1 Shrink Ratio: Marine grade heat shrink tubing provides high tensile strength and enough hot melt adhesive inside the tubing to ensure waterproof performance, your wires will never slip out of the wire connectors.
- Wide Application: Wire connectors are durable, stable, waterproof, and corrosion resistant and are used in the automotive, marine, electrical, and electronic industries.
- Great Value:The package includes 500PCS Blue heat shrink butt connectors. It is an ideal choice for factories, enterprises, schools, or stores where butt connectors are used frequently. Haisstronica waterproof wire connectors comply with ROHS, ISO 9001:2008, SGS, and CE standards.
- High-Quality Copper Core:Heat shrink butt connectors use a copper core with a higher thickness rating. This makes your connection project safer and better meets our customers' quality needs!
- Premium Heat Shrink:Translucent heat shrink tubing provides high tensile strength and resistance to stretch and minimize mechanical damage. The thick barrel ensures a strong crimp every time. The inner wall of the heat-shrinkable tube has enough hot melt adhesive to ensure waterproof performance reliability. Your wire will never slip out of these heat shrink wire connectors.
- Application Areas:Wide range of applications in areas such as automotive, watercraft, electrical, and electronics industries.
- Quality Commitment:We stand behind the quality of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact us. We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a 12-month replacement warranty giving customers a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for risk-free purchases!
- Compliant With All Relevant Standards:With Haisstronica 330PCS ( A.W.G.:22-18 150PCS,16-14 100PCS,12-10 32PCS,26-14 48PCS) heat shrink waterproof wire connectors are compliant with ROHS, ISO 9001:2008, SGS, and CE standards.
- High-Quality Copper Core:Heat shrink butt connectors use a copper core with a higher thickness rating. This makes your connection project safer and better meets our customers’ quality needs!
- High-Quality Heat Shrink:Translucent heat shrink tubing provides high tensile strength and resistance to stretch and minimize mechanical damage. The thick barrel ensures a strong crimp every time. The inner wall of the heat-shrinkable tube has enough hot melt adhesive to ensure waterproof performance reliability. Your wire will never slip out of these heat shrink wire connectors.
- Recognizable:Tubings of varying colors with easily recognizable wire gauge markings. Simply measure the wiring, and by checking the mark of wire gauge of the polyolefin tubing, then you can quickly choose the right connector.
- Buyer Confidence:We stand behind the quality of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase,please contact us.We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee,and a 12-month replacement warranty giving customers a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for risk-free purchases!
- Time Saver - solderless, crimpless, all you need is just a heat gun to finish the joint, much faster and easier than the old way.
- Fit for Confined and Narrow Spaces - can be bent after connection and no need to crimp or solder in the confined area, just control the temperature via a heat gun.
- Better Waterproof and Seal Performance - there is two hot melt waterproof adhesive rings in each butt connector, which help it hold up better to moisture.
- High Temperature Resistance in A Short Time: use exclusive material in the butt connectors to avoid shrink tubing melting before solder ring.
- IATF16949:2016 Listed: The Kuject solder seal connectors meet the newest standard of International Automotive Task Force, which is the most standardized and safest way for you to repair or modify your car.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: Wire butt connectors are made of top brass ( tin-plated finished ), PVC insulation
- FLARED INSULATION: Flared barrel design of insulated butt crimp connectors is easy to insert
- WIRE-STOP STRUCTURE: Wire-stop structure of wire butt connectors is conductive to insert wires into the right place to ensure the effect of compression
- PRACTICAL CRIMP CONNECTORS: With the electronic butt connectors, one or more different conductors can be crimped in a short space
- Quantity: 100PCS 16-14 AWG butt crimp connectors blue.
- ✔️【PREMIUM QUALITY】Thick copper barrel ensures strong secure crimping every time, providing minimal voltage drop, high current flow, and less heat. These will prevent short circuits and problematic wiring that inferior connectors are known for
- ✔️【DURABILITY】Each terminal features a thick tinned copper barrel that resists corrosion to hold the wire tight when crimped. The barrel is created from one seamless piece of copper that eliminates the problem of the barrel opening. Your wire will never slip out of the connector
- ✔️【WATERPROOF】Insulation tubing has unique dual-walled design. High quality 3:1 shrinkage tubing has a heat-activated sealant lining to provide a 360 degree secure seal. It's flame-retardant, waterproof, and can be used underground
- ✔️【WIDE APPLICATIONS】Compliant with all electrical standards, Perfect for marine and automobile applications, whether you are working on your boat, Vehicle, Home or scientific project, our electrical crimp connector will ensure strong watertight seal to make sure everything bond correctly. The connector assortment includes red (AWG 22 – 16), blue (AWG 16 – 14) and yellow (AWG 12 – 10) butt connectors that can be used on wire AWG from 22 to 10
- ✔️【TICONN BRAND QUALITY COMMITMENT】We stand behind the quality of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact us. We provide 30-day money back and 24-month warranty. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for risk-free shopping!
- ✔ HIGH QUAILTY COPPER CORE: Core Heat shrink butt connectors use the copper core with high thickness, which is up to 0. 8mm. Make connection project safer! High thickness copper core calls the attention of buyers!
- ✔HIGH QUALITY HEAT SHRINK: Translucent heat shrink tubing provides high tensile strength and resistance to stretch and mechanical damage. Thick barrel ensures strong crimp every time. The inner wall of heat-shrinkable tube has enough hot melt adhesive to ensure waterproof performance. Your wire will never slip out of these heat shrink butt connectors.
- APPLICATION AREAS-Application in areas such as automotive, watercraft, electrical and electronics industries, with 3 different sizes, So that repair work is much easier
- COMPLIANT WITH ALL RELEVANT STANDARDS: Our heat shrink butt connectors are compliant with ROHS, ISO 9001: 2008, SGS and CE standards.
- RECOGNIZABLE: tubings of different colors with the mark of wire gauge are easy to recognize. Measure the wiring, and by checking the mark of wire gauge of the polyolefin tubing, you can choose the right connector very easily.
Last update on 2022-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2022-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API