|BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING|
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes.
This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.
- Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.
- Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
- Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).
- Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
- Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
CAUTION: BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.
- Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.
- Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
NOTE: DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.
- Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
- Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
- Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
- Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system.
- With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost brake booster.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XC3Z-7B155-BA||Power Steering Fluid Filter Asy|
|5C7Z-2005-B||Hydro-Boost Asy - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion|
|6C3Z-2005-AA||Hydro-Boost Asy - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty|
|7C3Z-2005-AA||Hydro-Boost Asy - 2008 F-Super Duty|
|F7UZ-2005-AA||Hydro-Boost Asy - 1997-1998 E-Series|
|XC2Z-2005-AA||Hydro-Boost Asy - 1999-2001 E-Series|
|6C2Z-2005-AB||Hydro-Boost Asy - 2002-2007 E-Seres|