If the structural integrity is reduced, in the event of a rollover crash, there may be an increased risk of injury.
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2018 Ford F-150 Raptor Super Cab pick-up trucks not equipped with a moonroof. The structural roof braces may be missing rivets at the attachment of the roof rail, thereby reducing the structural integrity.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will install the rivets for the roof brace attachments, free of charge. The recall began October 17, 2017. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 17S29.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
September 26, 2017
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|F-150 Raptor SuperCab||2018||Dearborn||June 8, 2017 through August 21, 2017|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In the affected vehicles, the roof center bow K-brace may be missing rivets to the roof rail structure. Vehicles with missing K-brace roof rivets may have reduced structural integrity, potentially increasing the risk of injury in a rollover.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to drill and install two rivets on each side of the roof structure following the Technical Information. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of October 16, 2017. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
Michael A. Berardi
OASIS will be activated on September 26, 2017.
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on September 26, 2017. Owner names and addresses will be available by October 27, 2017.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act law effective June 2016 prohibits a rental company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. Please consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, follow existing warranty and policy guidelines for related damage claims. No SSSC approval is required for these vehicles:
- Ford vehicles – 3 years or 36,000 miles
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
Refunds are not approved for this program.
Rental vehicles are not approved for this program.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE) or One Warranty Solution (OWS).
- DWE: refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
- OWS: when entering claims in DMS software, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (17S29) is the sub code.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a separate repair line from the FSA.
- Provision for four (4) W70877-S900C Blind Rivets, and the use of Motorcraft TA-1, 3M 08115, or Fusor 108B Metal Panel Bonding Adhesive: Submit on the same line as the repair.
- Program Code: 17S29 – Expense: OTHER
- Expense: Claim up to $65.00
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Install 4 Roof Center Bow K-brace Rivets||MT17S29||Actual Time, up to 2.0 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity|
|W708777-S900C||Blind Rivets (box of 100 rivets, 4 rivets required)||Claim as Misc. Expense: OTHER|
|Motorcraft TA-1, 3M 08115, or Fusor 108B||Metal Panel Bonding Adhesive|
|– 9929024-||Headliner Garment Hooks (2 required) – refer to Ford Catalog Advantage to determine the specific part numbers based on interior trim color||2||2|
NOTE: Part number W708777-S900C is used for several F-150 body repair operations, and may be available in most Body and Paint Repair facilities. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-28 for additional information.
The DOR/COR number for this recall is 51097.
Order your parts through normal order processing channels. To guarantee the shortest delivery time, an emergency order for parts must be placed.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In the affected vehicles, the roof center bow K-brace may be missing rivets to the roof rail structure.
Vehicles with missing K-brace roof rivets may have reduced structural integrity, potentially increasing the risk of injury in a rollover. Dealers are to drill and install two rivets on each side of the roof structure following the Service Procedure below.
Recommended Tool List:
|3/8″ Drive Ratchet (Power Tool)|
|3/8″ Drive Ratchet (Hand Tool)|
|3/8″ Drive 10mm Deep Socket|
|1/4″ Drive Ratchet (Power Tool)|
|1/4″ Drive Ratchet (Hand Tool)|
|1/4″ Drive 7mm Deep Socket|
|1/4″ Drive T20 Torx Bit|
|1/4″ (6.5mm) Drill Bit|
|Drill Bit Stop Collar|
|Small Flathead Screwdriver|
|Pneumatic Rivet Gun|
|Adhesive Application Gun|
- Remove the headliner. Please follow the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures in Section 501-05.
- Lower, but do not fully remove the right hand (RH) and left hand (LH) side curtain airbags.
See Figure 1.
WARNING: The ignition must remain in the OFF position for a minimum of 1 minute before disconnecting the side curtain airbag electrical connectors. Leave the ignition in the OFF position until this service procedure is completed.
a. Disconnect both side curtain airbag electrical connectors.
b. Remove the four fasteners on each side, as shown in Figure 1.
c. Lower the RH and LH side curtain airbags.
d. Using a drop cloth or equivalent, cover the airbags to avoid metal shaving contamination.
NOTE: LH side curtain airbag shown, RH similar.
- On both sides, mark the drilling locations on the roof rail at the center bow K-brace. See Figure 2.
NOTE: LH roof brace shown, RH similar.
- Using a 1/4″ (6.5 mm) drill bit, install a drill stop set at a depth of 3/8″ (9.5 mm). See Figure 3.
- Temporarily position a suitable flat piece of metal above the RH and LH roof K-brace to prevent
damage to the roof sheet metal. See Figure 4.
NOTE: Figure 4 shows a clean paint can lid being used above the roof K-brace to protect the roof sheet metal.
- Drill the previously marked roof K-brace holes on the RH and LH side. See Figure 4.
- Using an assistant, hold a vacuum near the drilling location to capture the metal shavings.
- Remove the temporary flat piece of metal used to prevent damage to the roof sheet metal once drilling is complete.
NOTE: LH roof brace shown, RH similar.
NOTE: Once the metal panel bonding adhesive is applied on both sides, the rivets should be installed within the specified work time of the adhesive that is being used.
- Apply metal panel bonding adhesive where the RH and LH roof K-brace meets the roof rail.
See Figure 5.
NOTE: LH roof brace shown, RH similar.
NOTE: LH roof brace shown, RH similar.
- Reinstall the RH and LH side curtain airbag.
- Remove the protective cover from both side curtain airbags.
- Place the RH and LH side curtain airbag in its original position.
- Install the four RH and LH side curtain airbag fasteners shown in Figure 1.
- Tighten fasteners to 93 lb.in (10.5 Nm).
- Connect both side curtain airbag electrical connectors.
- Reinstall the headliner. Please follow the WSM procedures in Section 501-05.
- Vacuum any metal shavings from the vehicle interior.
* * * IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL * * *
(PROGRAMA DE SEGURIDAD IMPORTANTE)
Safety Recall Notice 17S29 / NHTSA Recall 17V-598
Aviso de Revisión de Seguridad 17S29
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 12345678901234567
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.
|What is the issue?||On your vehicle, the rivets that attach the center roof brace to the roof rail structure may be missing.|
|What is the risk?||Missing rivets may result in reduced structural integrity of the roof, potentially increasing the risk of injury in a rollover.|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to properly attach the roof brace to the roof structure free of charge (parts and labor).|
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 17S29. Provide the dealer with your VIN, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.
If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions.
Ford Motor Company wants you to have this safety recall completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed.
Please note: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
NOTE: You can receive information about Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs through our FordPass App. The app can be downloaded through the App Store or Google Play. In addition there are other features such as reserving and paying for parking in certain locations and controlling certain functions on your vehicle (lock or unlock doors, remote start) if it is equipped to allow control.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.
You received this notice because government regulations require that notification be sent to the last known owner of record. Our records are based primarily on state registration and title data, which indicate that you are the current owner.
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance.
RETAIL OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com.
For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM(Eastern Time).
FLEET OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our
Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, choose Option #3, and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.fleet.ford.com.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM(Eastern Time).
If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C.
|Para asistencia en Español||Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame al Centro de Relación con Clientes al 1-866-436-7332 y presione 2 para Español.|
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division