|CD4E – ENGINE STALLING ON ENGAGEMENT/STOPPING|
2005-2008 Escape and Mariner vehicles equipped with a CD4E automatic transaxle and built from 8/1/2004 through 2/15/2007 may exhibit an engine stall when coming to a stop or when engaging the transmission into drive or reverse.
This condition may be intermittent and often occurs after extended drives. There may be no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored. This may be caused by internal wear in the torque converter which prevents it from unlocking.
- Inspect and repair all non transaxle codes per Workshop Manual (WSM) and Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manuals.
- Use the Integrated Diagnostic System equipment or Scan Tool to monitor the PIDs (Parameter Identification) for TC_SLIPACT as the stall is occurring.
- Remove the transaxle assembly and check the rotation of the torque converter in the bell housing. A failed converter will be difficult to rotate.
- Remove the torque converter, drain the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and refill the CD4E transmission assembly using MERCON V ATF.
- Install a new torque converter and reinstall the transaxle assembly.
- Back flush the transmission cooler system as described in the WSM.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XT-5-QM||MERCON V Automatic Transmission Fluid|