During a crash, the improper welds may fail, allowing any stowed luggage to move into the passenger compartment, increasing the risk of injury.
The left rear seat backs pivot pins may have been improperly welded.
The recall is expected to begin January 9, 2017.
Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
Ford’s number for this recall is 16S43.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
December 1, 2016
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Fusion||2017||Hermosillo||September 27, 2016 through September 28, 2016|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the rear 60% seat backrest frame may have insufficient welds. Seat backrest frames that were improperly welded may not retain cargo in a crash, increasing the risk of injury.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to replace the rear 60% seat backrest frame. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of January 9, 2017. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web
Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
Michael A. Berardi
OASIS will be activated on December 1, 2016.
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on December 1, 2016. Owner names and addresses will be available by January 20, 2017.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
A new law prohibits a Rental Company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. This could impact dealer-operated rental fleets of 35 vehicles or more, including FRAC, LRAC, and DDR vehicles. Please see EFC04833 for details and consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, follow existing warranty and policy guidelines for related damage claims. No SSSC approval is required for these vehicles:
- o Ford vehicles – 3 years or 36,000 miles
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
Refunds are not approved for this program.
The use of rental vehicles is not approved for this program.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE) or One Warranty Solution (OWS).
- DWE: refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
- OWS: when entering claims in DMS software, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number 16S43 is the sub code.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a separate repair line from the FSA.
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Replace Rear 60% Seat Backrest Frame||16S43B||1.0 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity|
|EU5Z-96613A39-B||Rear 60% Seat Backrest Frame||1|
The DOR/COR number for this recall is 51066.
Order your parts through normal order processing channels. To guarantee the shortest delivery time, an emergency order for parts must be placed.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In some of the affected vehicles, the rear 60% seat backrest frame may have insufficient welds. Seat backrest frames that were improperly welded may not retain cargo in a crash, increasing the risk of injury. Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to replace the rear 60% seat backrest frame. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
- Remove the rear seat 60% backrest. Please follow the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures in Section 501-10B.
- Remove the armrest. Please follow the WSM procedures in Section 501-10B.
- Remove the rear center seatbelt guide bezel. See Figure 1.
- Remove the rear head restraint guide sleeves. Please follow the WSM procedures in Section 501-10B.
- Release the clips and remove the latch and release handle bezels. See Figure 2.
- Detach J-clips from the frame. See Figures 3 and 4.
- Remove and discard the LH safety belt anchor bolt retainer. See Figure 5.
- It is not necessary to replace the anchor bolt retainer.
- Route the seatbelt through the guide. See Figure 6.
- Pull the seat cover over the top of the frame. See Figure 8.
- Lift the frame upward and detach the wire harness retainer, if equipped. See Figure 9.
- Lift the frame upward and remove it from the cushion. See Figure 10.
- Remove the screw, detach the lever and remove the latch handle. See Figure 11.
- Torque: 44 lb.in (5 Nm)
- Transfer the following components to the new frame: (See Figure 12.)
- Center seatbelt retractor.
- Torque: 30 lb.ft (40 Nm)
- Seat latch.
- Torque: 18 lb.ft (24 Nm)
- Seat locking cam.
- Torque: 35 lb.ft (48 Nm)
NOTE: During assembly, ensure that the seatbelt is properly routed through the guide.
See Figures 6 and 12.
- Install the seat cushion and cover onto the new frame by reversing the removal procedure.
- Check the LH rear safety belt and buckle for correct operation. For additional information refer to WSM Section 501-20.
* * * IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL * * *
(PROGRAMA DE SEGURIDAD IMPORTANTE)
Safety Recall Notice 16S43 / NHTSA Recall 16V-874
Aviso de Revisión de Seguridad 16S43
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 12345678901234567
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.
|What is the issue?||On your vehicle, the rear 60% seat backrest frame may have insufficient welds. Seat backrest frames that were improperly welded may not retain cargo in a crash, increasing the risk of injury.|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace the rear 60% seat backrest frame in your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor).|
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 16S43. Provide the dealer with your VIN, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.|
If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions.
Ford Motor Company wants you to have this safety recall completed on your vehicle.The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed. Ford Motor Company can deny coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have this recall performed on a timely basis. Therefore, please have this recall performed as soon as possible.
Please note: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Your vehicle may be equipped with a diagnostic feature called the Vehicle Health Report which can inform you about all available recalls, as well as other key vehicle health information. Please see https://owner.ford.com/vehicle-health for more information.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.|
You received this notice because government regulations require that notification be sent to the last known owner of record. Our records are based primarily on state registration and title data, which indicate that you are the current owner.
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance.|
RETAIL OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com.
For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM(Eastern Time).
FLEET OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our
Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, choose Option #3, and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.fleet.ford.com.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM(Eastern Time).
If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.safercar.gov. Reference NHTSA Safety Recall 16S43.
|Para asistencia en Español||Visite nuestro sitio web para ver este anuncio en Español al siguiente dirección: https://es.owner.ford.com/recall.|
Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame al Centro de Relación con Clientes al 1-866-436-7332 y presione 2 para Español.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division