|4.0L WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION – 4TH GEAR RATTLE/KNOCK NOISE ON ACCELERATION – 1800-2200 RPM APPROXIMATELY 45 MPH (72 KM/H)|
It has been described as a helicopter noise, similar to when you put a playing card in bicycle spokes.
This noise has no affect on vehicle performance or durability.
NOTE: THIS NOISE IS DUE TO A SYSTEM RESONANCE, COMMON TO SOME 4.0L/MANUAL TRANSMISSION EQUIPPED VEHICLES, AND HAS NO AFFECT ON CLUTCH/TRANSMISSION LIFE/DURABILITY. PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE WILL GREATLY REDUCE THE NOISE LEVEL.
- Follow “Rattle/Buzz/Vibration from Center Stack (Radio/Heater), Steering Wheel, Seat, Floorpan, Gearshift Area” to eliminate any noise/vibration related to exhaust system alignment. If rattle noise still persists, then proceed to Step 2.
NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE WILL NOT FIX THE CONCERN IF THE CUSTOMER COMPLAINT IS:
- ABOVE 55 MPH
- ON COAST DOWN
- IN 1ST OR 5TH GEAR
- AFFECTED BY PRESSURE ON THE SHIFTER
- A GRINDING NOISE
- The noise specific to this procedure is most evident after the engine/transmission has reached operating temperatures. It is due to a resonance. The transfer path for the noise is through the gear shift lever area and transmission mount. If the noise can be replicated in 4th gear on light acceleration between 1800-2200 RPM, around 45 MPH (72 Km/h), then replace the flywheel with the revised flywheel listed in the Parts List. To be compatible, the clutch may need to be replaced depending on build date. See Steps 3 and 4.
- If the vehicle was built on or after 12/4/2006, then replace the flywheel. If not, then go to Step 4.
- If the vehicle was built before 12/4/2006, then replace the flywheel, clutch disc, and clutch pressure plate.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|7R3Z-7563-B||Clutch Pressure Plate|