Prolonged exposure to elevated underbody temperatures can cause degradation of the fuel tank and/or fuel vapor lines, which may eventually result in a fuel leak.
If the vehicle experiences a fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source it can, increase the risk of a vehicle fire.
Reduced parking brake function could potentially result in unexpected vehicle movement, which may increase the risk of injury.
The repairs will be performed free of charge.
The recall began on July 9, 2015.
Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
Ford’s number for this recall is 15S19.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
July 20, 2015
SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Safety Recall 15S19 – Supplement #1
Certain 2015 Model Year Mustang Vehicles Equipped with 2.3L Engines
Fuel Tank, Vapor Line, and Parking Brake Cable Heat Shielding
REF: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Safety Recall 15S19
Dated June 24, 2015
REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
- Fuel tank shield adhesive strips: This supplement contains additional information about the adhesive strips located between the fuel tank and fuel tank shield. Previously, these strips were omitted from the parts table and were not fully addressed in the Technical Instructions.
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Mustang 2.3L||2015||Flat Rock||February 14, 2014 through February 10, 2015|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN list.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the underbody temperature may exceed design limits under certain driving conditions. If the fuel tank and vapor lines are exposed to elevated temperatures for a prolonged period of time, they may develop a fuel or vapor leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can lead to a fire. If the parking brake cables are exposed to elevated temperatures for a prolonged period of time, the parking brake may not engage or disengage correctly, and may fail to hold the vehicle on a hill. As a result, the vehicle may move unexpectedly, which may increase the risk of injury.
Before demonstrating or delivering any of the vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to replace the fuel tank shield, install thermal patches on the fuel tank and parking brake cable, and install thermal wraps on the vapor lines. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner Letters are expected to be mailed the week of July 6, 2015. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $7,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
Special Service Support Center (Dealer Assistance Only) 1-800-325-5621
Yes, OASIS was activated on May 26, 2015.
FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?
Yes, FSA VIN list was available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on May 26, 2015. Owner names and addresses will be available by July 24, 2015.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN list may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
ADDITIONAL LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS
Contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) if you have any of the following:
- Damage that you believe was caused by the covered condition.
- A condition that requires additional labor and/or parts to complete the repair.
- Aftermarket equipment or non-Ford modifications to the vehicle which might prevent the repair of the covered condition.
Contact the SSSC prior to the repair. Please be prepared to provide your requested additional warranty part cost, estimated additional labor time, and dealer specific labor rate. Requests for approval after completion of the repair may not be granted. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to deny coverage for related damage in cases where the vehicle owner has not had this recall performed on a timely basis. Additional related damage parts are subject to random selection for return to the Ford Warranty Parts Analysis Center (WPAC).
Refunds are not approved for this program.
The use of rental vehicles is not approved for this program.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE) or One Warranty Solution (OWS).
- DWE: refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
- OWS: when entering claims in DMS software, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (15S19) is the sub code.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a repair line that is separate from the repair line on which the FSA is claimed. Additional labor and/or parts require prior approval from the Special Service Support Center.
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Coupe: Replace fuel tank shield, install thermal patches on fuel tank and parking brake cable, and install thermal wraps on vapor lines||15S19B||2.1 Hours|
|Convertible: Replace fuel tank shield, install thermal patches on fuel tank and parking brake cable, and install thermal wraps on vapor lines||15S19C||2.8 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|FR3Z-9A032-B||Fuel tank shield||1|
|BR3Z-9A068-C||Adhesive strips (2 per package)||1|
|FR3Z-9B149-A||Thermal patch kit – fuel tank||1|
|FR3Z-2B085-A||Thermal patch – parking brake cable||1|
|FR3Z-9B149-B||Thermal wrap kit – vapor lines||1|
|TA-25-B||Blue liquid threadlock and sealer*||1|
*Or equivalent medium-strength liquid threadlock.
The DOR/COR number for this recall is 50601.
Order your parts requirements through normal order processing channels.
Questions regarding parts should be directed to the Special Service Support Center (1-800-325-5621) or E-mailed to: Ford@Renkim.com.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 “WARRANTY PARTS
RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.”
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In some of the affected vehicles, the underbody temperature may exceed design limits under certain driving conditions. If the fuel tank and vapor lines are exposed to elevated temperatures for a prolonged period of time, they may develop a fuel or vapor leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can lead to a fire. If the parking brake cables are exposed to elevated temperatures for a prolonged period of time, the parking brake may not engage or disengage correctly, and may fail to hold the vehicle on a hill. As a result, the vehicle may move unexpectedly, which may increase the risk of injury. Dealers are to replace the fuel tank shield, install thermal patches on the fuel tank and parking brake cable, and install thermal wraps on the vapor lines.
NOTE: Removal of the fuel tank strap retaining bolts requires the use of a TP50 driver socket and air tools. Failure to utilize the appropriate equipment can result in complications during bolt removal.
- Remove the fuel tank. Please follow the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures in Section 310-01.
- Remove the fuel tank shield by pulling to release the adhesive strips that secure the shield to the tank. See Figure 1.
- Clean the adhesive material from the underside of the fuel tank.
- Locate the adhesive strip application areas on both sides of the new fuel tank shield. Peel off one side of the protective film from each adhesive strip and apply the strips to the new fuel tank shield. See Figure 2.
NOTE: LH side shown, RH similar.
- Remove the protective film from the new fuel tank shield adhesive strips and set the fuel tank into the new fuel tank shield. See Figure 3.
NOTE: The new fuel tank shield should overlap the existing thermal patch at the front of the tank. See Figure 4.
- Apply new thermal patch over the existing thermal patch at the front of the fuel tank. See Figure 5.
- Apply the new smaller thermal patch over the gap between the tunnel heat shield and new front thermal patch. See Figure 6.
- Apply new thermal patch to the rear of the tank. See Figure 7.
NOTICE: when installing the fuel tank strap bolts, care must be taken to ensure that the bolts are not threaded on an angle. The rear subframe promotes an angled approach when using an extension tool. If the weld nut becomes cross-threaded, use a tap to repair the threads as necessary.
NOTE: Do not install the muffler and tail pipe assembly until after the vapor line thermal wraps have been installed.
NOTE: Ensure there is no contact between the patch and the moving parts of the cable.
- Apply new thermal patch over the parking brake cable retention collars. See Figure 8.
NOTE: The vapor lines may be pulled out of the retaining clip attached to the body to help ease installation of the thermal wraps.
- Install the thermal wraps onto the vapor lines above the rear sway bar. For steps 10b-10d, gradually slide the thermal wraps over the vapor lines, peeling back the protective film and folding the adhesive flap over to seal the wrap over the vapor line. See Figures 9 through 12.
- Remove the fresh-air hose from the rear subframe and slide the thermal wrap (19mm dia. x 300mm) over the hose. Reinstall the fresh-air hose to the frame rail.
- Install thermal wrap (19mm dia. x 365mm) to canister load line.
- Install thermal wrap (13mm dia. x 350mm) to canister recirculation line.
- Install thermal wrap (13mm dia. x 320mm) to purge line.
NOTE: See Figure 12a for convertible vehicles, and Figure 12b for coupe vehicles.
* * * IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL * * *
(PROGRAMA DE SEGURIDAD IMPORTANTE)
Safety Recall Notice 15S19 / NHTSA Recall 15V-339
Aviso de Revisión de Seguridad 15S19
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 12345678901234567
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.
|What is the issue?||On your vehicle, it may be possible for the underbody temperature to exceed design limits under certain driving conditions. If the fuel tank and vapor lines are exposed to elevated temperatures for a prolonged period of time, they may develop a fuel or vapor leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can lead to a fire. If the parking brake cables are exposed to elevated temperatures for a prolonged period of time, the parking brake may not engage or disengage correctly, and may fail to hold the vehicle on a hill. As a result, the vehicle may move unexpectedly, which may increase the risk of injury|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace the fuel tank shield, install thermal patches on the fuel tank and parking brake cable, and install thermal wraps on the vapor lines at no cost to you.|
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 15S19. Provide the dealer with the VIN of your vehicle, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.
If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions.
Ford Motor Company wants you to have this safety recall completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed.
Please note: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.
You received this notice because government regulations require that notification be sent to the last known owner of record. Our records are based primarily on state registration and title data, which indicate that you are the current owner.
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance.
RETAIL OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Ford
Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com.
Para asistencia en Español:
Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame al Centro de Relación con Clientes al 1-866-436-7332 y presione 2 para Español.
FLEET OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, Option #3 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
Or you may contact us through the Internet at www.fleet.ford.com.
If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division