February 11, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V077000
A door latch that is not fully engaged may result in a door opening while driving, increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V077
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Potential Number of Units Affected 27,609
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the latch assemblies on all four doors, free of charge. An interim owner notification letter was mailed on April 4, 2019. A second letter will be sent when the remedy is available. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 19S03.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
March 25, 2019
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Continental||2017-2019||Flat Rock||November 30, 2015 through November 14, 2018|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the electronic door latch pawl motor may become inoperative and result in a door not being able to close. This will set a door ajar warning in the message center and illuminate the door ajar symbol in the instrument panel cluster.
In some cases, if the client is able to close the door with an intermittently operative latch, the latch pawl may not fully engage, and the door ajar warnings will remain on. A latch pawl that is not fully engaged increases the potential for the door to open while driving, and the risk of injury.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to replace the door latches on all four doors using the door latch kit. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: At this time, parts are not available to repair all vehicles. Until parts are available to repair all vehicles, dealers may submit an approval request to the SSSC to authorize repairs on client-owned vehicles exhibiting door latch concerns.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Parts to repair this condition are currently not available in sufficient quantities to service all of the affected vehicles. Owner letters are expected to be mailed week of April 1, 2019 advising owners that parts are not currently available to repair vehicles. When parts become available in larger quantities, owners of affected vehicles will be notified in several phased mailings expected to begin by late 2nd quarter. Dealers should repair any vehicles exhibiting this condition that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the client has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information Attachment
III: Technical Information
Attachment IV: Client Information Sheet
Owner Notification Letters Recall Reimbursement Plan
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the
SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
OASIS ACTIVATION FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
OASIS was activated on February 12, 2019
FSA VIN Lists were made available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on February 12, 2019. Owner names and addresses will be available once parts are available to repair all vehicles.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries. Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Lincoln (or Ford Motor Company) has not issued instructions to stop selling/delivering or driving used vehicles under this safety recall. Owners should contact their dealer for an appointment to have their vehicles remedied as soon as practicable. Owners can continue to safely drive their vehicles, if door ajar lights or faults are not present after closing the door. Refer to the Client Information Sheet Attachment IV.
- When parts are available to repair all vehicles, immediately contact any of your affected clients whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the client a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of client vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery once seed stock is available.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act law effective June 2016 prohibits a rental company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. However, affected LRAC/LCTP Continental units are safe to operate and can remain in service as a loaner vehicle; as long as the vehicle is not exhibiting symptoms of a door will not close, the door ajar indicator lamp illuminating on the instrument cluster, or a door ajar or fault warning displayed in the instrument cluster message center. Please consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
- For each affected Continental LRAC/LCTP provided as a loaner, dealers should provide the client a copy of the Client Information Sheet, Attachment IV.
- Per program guidelines, any vehicle with an open recall will not be accepted into any LRAC or LCTP program.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
This safety recall must still be performed, even if the owner has paid for a previous repair. Claiming a refund will not close the recall on the vehicle.
- Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this recall if the repair was performed prior to the date indicated in the reimbursement plan, which is posted with this bulletin. Owners are directed to seek reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford Motor Company at P.O. Box 6251, Dearborn, MI 48121-6251.
- Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the end date specified in the reimbursement plan. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
- Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with door latch replacement.
LINCOLN LOANER VEHICLES
For sold client vehicles, Lincoln loaner vehicles have been approved for this program for up to 30 days at $45 per day maximum, if the vehicle exhibits any of the following symptoms while waiting for parts to repair, under program number 19A01.
- Door will not close
- Door ajar light illuminated
- Door ajar or fault warnings displayed in the instrument cluster message center Contact the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site for approval code.
In the event that a loaner is required beyond 30 days for parts not available, dealers will need to re-contact the SSSC to receive a new approval code and establish a new usage agreement with the client.
This can be managed two different ways depending on dealership preference:
- Option 1: Close out the R.O. every 30 days and open a new R.O. prior to contacting the SSSC under a new contact.
- Option 2: Leave the current R.O. open and add another line to the R.O. for the next month’s rental prior to contacting the SSSC under previous month contact. Please submit claim for each individual repair line as each line is closed.
NOTE: Lincoln loaner vehicles will not be approved under this program for vehicles not exhibiting the above symptoms, these vehicles can continue to be driven safely, refer to the Client Information Sheet, Attachment IV.
LINCOLN PICKUP AND DELIVERY
Owners of 2017 MY and newer Lincoln vehicles have the option of requesting pickup and delivery service with a Lincoln loaner (up to 2 days), from their dealership. For details, reference EFC07122, 2019 Lincoln Pickup & Delivery Updates. Claim the difference of pre-approved days, or any additional rental days approved by the SSSC as instructed.
LINCOLN CLIENT SPECIAL HANDLING
- Fuel fill
- Gift Card for the client’s favorite restaurant
The Lincoln Loyalty Program is exclusive to Lincoln Dealers. Owners will not be notified of this service in owner mailings. Reference EFC07126, Lincoln Loyalty Program Announcement for additional details.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For related damage and access time requirements, refer to the Warranty and Policy Manual / Section 6 – Ford & Lincoln Program Policies / General Information & Special Circumstances for FSA’s / Related Damage.
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, no SSSC approval is required, although related damage must be on a separate repair line with the “Related Damage” radio button checked.
- Lincoln vehicles – 4 years or 50,000 miles
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Claim Entry: Enter claims using Dealer Management System (DMS) or One Warranty Solution (OWS) online.
- When entering claims, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number 19S03 is the sub code.
- For additional claims preparation and submission information, refer to the Recall and Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) Repairs in the OWS User Guide.
- Related Damage/Additional labor and/or parts: Must be claimed as Related Damage on a separate repair line from the FSA with same claim type and sub code as described in Claim Entry above.
IMPORTANT: Click the Related Damage Indicator radio button.
- Refunds: Submit refunds on a separate repair line.
- Program Code: 19S03 – Misc. Expense: ADMIN
- Misc. Expense: REFUND – Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.
Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim.
- Lincoln Loaner: Applicable only to loaner that was approved by SSSC when parts were not available to repair vehicle.
- Rental expenses must be claimed under Lincoln loaner program number 19A01. Enter the total amount of the rental expense under Misc. Expense Code RENTAL.
- Lincoln Pickup & Delivery: Claims for Lincoln Pickup & Delivery with a Lincoln loaner (up to 2 days) should be submitted on a separate line from the FSA. Refer to EFC07122, 2019 Lincoln Pickup & Delivery Updates for details.
- Any additional loaner days outside Lincoln Pickup & Delivery, either preapproved or approved by the SSSC, should be claimed on a separate line with the approval code for the approved days.
- Lincoln Client Special Handling: Reference EFC07126, Lincoln Loyalty Program Announcement for Requirements and Claiming Instructions. Claims for Lincoln Loyalty should be submitted as a separate line on the same Repair Order.
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Replace all four door latches.||19S03B||2.3 Hours|
|Replace all four door latches. (equipped with power door cinch closing)||19S03C||2.5 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION SSSC Web Contact Site:
Parts are currently not available to repair all vehicles. Until parts are available to repair all vehicles, dealers may submit an approval request to the SSSC to authorize repairs on clientowned vehicles exhibiting door latch concerns.
To place an order for door latch kit submit a VIN-specific Part Order contact via the SSSC Web Contact Site. Part Order contacts should include images of VIN and mileage for client owned vehicles.
|Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity||Part Number|
|Door latch kit||1||1||GD9Z-54264A26-BA|
|Door latch kit (equipped with power door cinch closing)||1||1||GD9Z-54264A26-CA|
Dealers will be notified via a DOES II communication if circumstances warrant a change in part supply strategy and when open ordering resumes.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In some of the affected vehicles, the electronic door latch pawl motor may become inoperative and result in a door not being able to close. This will set a door ajar warning in the message center and illuminate the door ajar symbol in the instrument panel cluster. In some cases, if the customer is able to close the door with an intermittently operative latch, the latch pawl may not fully engage, and the door ajar warnings will remain on. A latch pawl that is not fully engaged increases the potential for the door to open while driving, and the risk of injury. Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to replace the door latch on all four doors.
Recommended Tool List For Replacement:
|1/4″ Drive Electric Power Tool|
|1/4″ Drive Ratchet|
|1/4″ Drive 7mm and 10mm Regular Socket|
|1/4″ Drive 8mm Deep Socket|
|1/4″ Drive 6 inch Extension|
|1/4″ Drive Torque Wrench|
|Long Trim Tool|
|Small Trim Tool|
NOTE: Verify proper lock function after the vehicle repairs. Power Door Window Initialization should be performed following WSM Procedures in Section 501-11, verify the one-touch function is working correctly on the power windows.
Door Ajar Warning Indicator and Door Fault Information Messages
Safety Recall 19S03 Client Information Sheet
The Lincoln Motor Company has not issued instructions to stop driving vehicles affected by Safety Recall 19S03 related to door latch replacement. Owners or rental company customers can continue to safely drive affected vehicles if they follow the instructions and warnings contained in this client information sheet.
If your vehicle exhibits symptoms of a door will not close, the door ajar indicator lamp illuminating on the instrument cluster, or a door ajar or fault warning displayed in the instrument cluster message center as outlined below, contact your authorized dealer or rental vehicle provider for service immediately.
If your vehicle does not exhibit any of these symptoms, it may be safely driven.
Instrument Cluster Warning Indicator Lamp
|Door Ajar||Displays when the ignition is on and any door is not completely closed. Also displays when there is a lack of battery power to the electronic door system. If you see this warning displayed, with all doors closed or a door that will not close, contact your authorized dealer or rental vehicle provider for service immediately.|
Warning Indicator Lamp and Information Message Location
Both the Instrument Cluster Door Ajar Warning Indicator Lamp and the Door Ajar and Door Fault Information Messages will display on the right side area of the instrument cluster (see illustration below).
Ford Motor Company
Recall Reimbursement Plan for 19S03
Ford and Lincoln dealers are in the best position to quickly and efficiently process reimbursement requests. However, federal legislation requires all motor vehicle manufacturers to establish processes through which customers may seek recall reimbursement directly from the manufacturer or from the dealers.
Regarding the specific reimbursement plan for Recall # 19S03, owners who have paid for service to remedy the defect or noncompliance must have had that service performed prior to April 19, 2019. After this date, if repairs related to this recall are performed by a non-Ford repair facility in an emergency situation, customers must submit any refund requests through their dealership. As required by this federal regulation, Ford Motor Company submitted the details of its latest General Recall Reimbursement Plan in a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in February 2015. The following is the text of that letter and the Plan:
General Recall Reimbursement Plan
(As submitted to the NHTSA)
Pursuant to the requirements set forth in 49 CFR Part 573 and Part 577 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Ford Motor Company (Ford) is submitting required information pertaining to our general reimbursement plan for the cost of remedies paid for by vehicle owners before they are notified of a related safety recall.
Set forth below is Ford’s general plan to reimburse owners and purchasers for costs incurred for remedies in advance of notification of potential safely-related defects or noncompliances pursuant to Part 573.6 (c)(8)(i). This plan has not changed since our February 20, 2015 submission.
Ford’s notice to a vehicle owner in accordance with 49 CFR Part 577 will indicate that Ford is offering a refund if the owner paid to have service to remedy the defect or noncompliance prior to a specified ending date. In accordance with Part 573.13 (c)(2), this ending date will be defined as a minimum of ten calendar days after the date on which Ford mailed the last of its Part 577 notifications to owners, and will be indicated in the specific reimbursement plan available to owners for an individual recall. This notice will direct owners to seek eligible reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford at the following address:
Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 6251
Dearborn, MI 48121-6251
Ford notes that this rule allows for the identification of a beginning date for reimbursement eligibility. Under the rule, an owner who paid to remedy the defect or noncompliance prior to the identified beginning date would not be eligible for reimbursement. Ford generally has not established such a beginning date for reimbursement eligibility and does not presently anticipate changing this general policy. However, in any case where Ford determines a beginning date is appropriate, Ford will indicate that date in the owner notice. As permitted by 577.11(e), Ford may not include a reimbursement notification when all vehicles are well within the warranty period, subject to approval by the agency.
Costs to be Reimbursed
For vehicles, reimbursement will not be less than the lesser of:
- The amount paid by the owner for the remedy that specifically addressed and was reasonably necessary to correct the defect or noncompliance that is the subject of the recall, or
- The cost of parts for the remedy (to be no more than the manufacturer’s list retail price for authorized part(s), plus associated labor at local labor rates, miscellaneous fees (such as disposal of waste) and taxes.
For replacement equipment, reimbursement will be the amount paid by the owner for the replacement item (limited by the amount of the retail list price of the defective or noncompliant item that was replaced, plus taxes, where the brand or model purchased by the owner was different than the brand or model that was the subject of the recall). If the item of motor vehicle equipment was repaired, the reimbursement provisions identified above for vehicles will apply.
Ford notes that costs incurred by the owner within the period during which Ford’s original or extended warranty would have provided for a free repair of the problem will not be eligible for reimbursement, as provided by Part 573.13 (d)(1).
Entities Authorized to Provide Reimbursement
Ford will continue to use authorized dealers to reimburse owners under the specific reimbursement plans for a particular recall, and will encourage owners to pursue requests for reimbursement directly through dealers to expedite reimbursement. Ford will also provide a mailing address to which customers can, at their option, send requests for reimbursement directly to Ford, as previously noted. Requests for reimbursement sent directly to Ford may take up to 60 days to process. Whether the owner chooses to pursue reimbursement requests through a dealer or directly through Ford, the owner will be directed to submit the required documentation, upon which reimbursement eligibility will be determined.
The reimbursement determination will depend upon the information provided by the customer. Consistent with Part 573.13 (d)(4) the following information must be submitted:
- Claimant name and address
- Vehicle make, model, and model year
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) and, for replacement equipment, a description of such equipment or, for tires, the model, size and TIN (DOT code)
- Identification of the recall number (either the Ford recall number or the NHTSA recall number)
- Identification of the owner of the recalled vehicle at the time that the pre-notification remedy was obtained
- An original receipt for the pre-notification remedy that includes a breakdown of the amount for parts, labor, other costs and taxes, including costs for the replacement item. Where the receipt covers work other than to address the recall or noncompliance, Ford may require the claimant to separately identify costs that are eligible for reimbursement.
- If the remedy was obtained during the warranty period, documentation indicating that the warranty was not honored or the warranty repair did not correct the problem related to the recall.
Failure to submit all of the above information may result in denial of the reimbursement request.
The Part 577 required owner notice will provide a toll-free telephone number through which specific information about the reimbursement plan can be requested from Ford. This general reimbursement plan will be incorporated into notifications pursuant to Part 573.6 by reference. Information specific to an individual recall also may be incorporated into the Part 573.6 notification.
3 Affected Products
17 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report – AMENDMENT 1
Recall 573 Report – AMENDMENT 2
ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Miscellaneous Document – 19S03 Chronology Amendment 1
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Supplement #1 Safety Recall 19S03 Certain 2017 through 2019 Model Year Continental Door Latch Replacement
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Advance Notice – Safety Recall 19S03 Certain 2017 through 2019 Model Year Continental – Door Latch Replacement
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD Safety Recall 19S03 – Supplement #1.
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- NEW VEHICLE DELIVERY HOLD Safety Recall 19S03 – Supplement #3
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-4
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- NEW VEHICLE DELIVERY HOLD Safety Recall 19S03 – Supplement #4
Latest Recalls Documents
- Cleaner Wax is the versatile, easy way to clean
- Cleaner Wax is the versatile, easy way to clean
- Durable and easy to apply and remove, Maguire's Cleaner Wax effectively and safely removes surface contaminants
- THE ORIGINAL: Trust the original windshield cleaner for reaching tight and difficult spaces at home and in your car. The Reach & Clean tool window wand cleans glass almost effortlessly.
- WASHABLE: Simply remove the washable microfiber glass cleaning bonnet and throw it in the wash for a consistent streak-free, lint-free clean that leaves any glass looking new.
- REVERSIBLE: Easily reverse the cleaning cloth for even more glass-cleaning power! Enjoy a remarkable clean that other tools simply can’t match!
- REUSABLE: Why waste time and money with streaky paper towels? Our Invisible Glass cleaner microfiber bonnets are reusable and leave a stunning shine that will make your windows look like new!
- EXTENDABLE: The perfect easy glass-cleaning tool for hard-to-reach places. The storage hook can be removed and a standard extension pole can be screwed on to extend your reach, making it effortless to clean glass in high or hard to reach places!
- Includes Two 19-Ounce Cans
- Features a Residue Free Formula
- Cleans without Streaky Residue
- Offers a No-Drip, Fine Mist Spray
- Safe for Use on Window Tint
- CLEAR DRY FORMULA: The Invisible Glass CLEAR DRY formula contains no streaky soaps, scents, or dyes. Absolutely ZERO residue on your glass – just invisible glass.
- CONVENIENT SPRAY BOTTLE: This 32 oz. spray pump bottle makes it easy to squeeze out every drop of glass cleaner for a brilliant shine on all glass surfaces.
- AMMONIA-FREE: Our unique Invisible Glass formula contains no ammonia, so it’s perfect for use on tinted and non-tinted glass. Use it at home, on stainless steel appliances, in the car, on the boat, at the office, and more.
- MADE IN USA: Proudly American-made, you can trust the quality and superior formula of this glass cleaner and window spray. It’s the best super window cleaner you can buy.
- MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance of Invisible Glass Cleaner, simply let us know for a prompt and cheerful refund, guaranteed!
- Comfortable, no-drip EZ grip handle
- Features a residue free formula
- 19oz fine-mist spray can
- Safe for use on tinted windows
- PROFESSIONAL GLASS CARE: Are you finding fingerprints, streaks, and smudges impairing the view out of your windshield or drivers side window? It's time to use what the pro's use! This glass cleaner was made to deep clean all types of glass to perfect clarity.
- ANTI-STREAKING FORMULA: This glass cleaner was designed to eliminate streaks and keep them off! Achieve that transparent clean consistently with this automotive glass cleaner!
- DISINFECTANT: All too often we use window cleaners that only remove dirt - which is fine, but Shine Society's Glass Cleaner takes it one step further. This window cleaner will effectively eliminate 99.9% of all germs and bacteria that sit on the surface of your glass or windows!
- ALL-NATURAL FORMULA: Made with all-natural and sustainable ingredients, making this window cleaner safe for use around your children and pets.
- EASE OF USE: Simply spray on, and wipe off in a circular motion with two separate microfiber towels!
- Includes Two 22-Ounce Bottles
- Features a Residue Free Formula
- Cleans without Streaky Residue
- Cleans Glass So Well, You'll Think it's Invisible
- Safe for Use on Window Tint
- Heavy-duty foam clings to vertical surfaces
- Guaranteed to leave no film
- Contains perfume-grade alcohol for best performance
- Ammonia free
- Spray and wipe clean
- Professional Grade
- Dissolves Dirt, Grease & Grime
- Streak Free
- Ammonia Free
- Pleasant Smelling
- AUTO GLASS CLEANER: Concentrated formula easily and consistently removes tough vinyl fog residue, smoker's film, road grime, dirt and bug splatter
- CRYSTAL CLEAR GLASS: Effective at cleaning the inside and outside of windows for crystal clear, streak-free glass
- EASY AND CONVENIENT: Simply spray on and wipe off for quick and easy window cleaning
- WINDOW TINT SAFE: Professional-grade body shop safe formula does not harm window tints
- CONCENTRATED FOR MORE USE: Every concentrated gallon gives you 11 ready-to-use gallons of glass cleaner
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API