Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
The panoramic roof panel may have an inadequate bond to the vehicle, possibly resulting in the panel separating from the vehicle.
If the panoramic roof panel separates from the vehicle while it is being driven, it may increase the risk of a crash.
The recall is expected to begin October 31, 2016.
Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
Ford’s number for this recall is 16S35.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
September 27, 2016
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Transit Connect||2014||Valencia||October 4, 2013 through July 14, 2014|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, an improper bond may exist between the panoramic roof panel and the vehicle. A panoramic roof panel with an improper bond may result in wind noise, water leaks, and in some cases, separation from the vehicle. Separation of the entire panoramic roof panel from the vehicle while driving increases the risk of a crash or injury.
Dealers are to remove, clean, and reinstall the panoramic roof panel. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: If this repair is being sublet to an automotive glass repair company, it is important that the correct materials be used explicitly in the manner described by the Technical Instructions in Attachment III.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of October 31, 2016. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
Recall Reimbursement Plan
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web
Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
Michael A. Berardi
OASIS will be activated on September 27, 2016.
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on September 27, 2016. Owner names and addresses will be available by November 11, 2016.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
A new law prohibits a Rental Company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. This could impact dealer-operated rental fleets of 35 vehicles or more, including FRAC, LRAC, and DDR vehicles. Please see EFC04833 for details and consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, follow existing warranty and policy guidelines for related damage claims. No SSSC approval is required for these vehicles:
- Ford vehicles – 3 years or 36,000 miles
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
- This safety recall must still be performed, even if the owner has paid for a previous repair. Claiming a refund will not close the recall on the vehicle.
- Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this recall if the repair was performed prior to the date indicated in the reimbursement plan, which is posted with this bulletin. Owners are directed to seek reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford Motor Company at P.O. Box 6251, Dearborn, MI 481216251.
- Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the end date specified in the reimbursement plan. Non-covered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
- Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with panoramic roof panel repair or replacement caused by improper bonding (wind noise, water leaks, or separation).
Dealers are pre-approved for up to 1 day for a rental vehicle. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Rentals will only be reimbursed for the day the vehicle is at the dealership for repairs. Prior approval for more than 1 rental day is required from the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE) or One Warranty Solution (OWS).
- DWE: refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
- OWS: when entering claims in DMS software, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (16S35) is the sub code.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a separate repair line from the FSA.
- For rental vehicle claiming, follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Enter the total amount of the rental expense under Miscellaneous Expense code RENTAL.
- Submit refunds on a separate repair line.
- Program Code: 16S35 – Misc. Expense: ADMIN
- Misc. Expense: REFUND – Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.
- Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim.
- Sublet repairs must be claimed using the labor operation, parts, and MISC expense listed in this bulletin. Do not claim as Outside Labor (OSL). Sublet documentation must be retained.
- Provision for Locally Obtained Supplies: Cleaning supplies and either Dow or Sika brand automotive glass bonding materials. Submit on the same line as the repair.
- Program Code: 16S35 – Expense: OTHER
- Expense: Claim up to $100
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Remove, clean, and reinstall the panoramic roof panel. (Actual time not to exceed 3 hours)||MT16S35B||Actual time|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity|
|DT1Z-5829760-A||Spacers (1 per package, 14 per repair required)||14|
|Obtain locally||KIMTECH SCIENCE Kimwipes Delicate Task Wipers (or equivalent low-lint tissues for cleaning panoramic roof panel)||Claim as MISC|
|Acetone – bulk (for cleaning panoramic roof panel)|
|Isopropyl alcohol – bulk (for cleaning panoramic roof panel)|
|If using Dow brand products|
|Obtain locally||Dow Betaprime 5504G primer||Claim as MISC|
|Dow Betaseal Express urethane adhesive|
|If using Sika brand products|
|Obtain locally||Sika Aktivator Pro primer||Claim as MISC|
|Sika Primer-207 primer|
|SikaTack MACH 30 or MACH 60 urethane adhesive|
The DOR/COR number for this recall is 51060.
Order your parts through normal order processing channels. To guarantee the shortest delivery time, an emergency order for parts must be placed.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In some of the affected vehicles, an improper bond may exist between the panoramic roof panel and the vehicle. A panoramic roof panel with an improper bond may result in wind noise, water leaks, and in some cases, separation from the vehicle. Separation of the entire panoramic roof panel from the vehicle while driving increases the risk of a crash or injury. Dealers are to remove, clean, and reinstall the panoramic roof panel.
NOTE: If this repair is being sublet to an automotive glass repair company, it is important that the correct materials be used explicitly in the manner described in the following steps.
NOTICE: To avoid rust formation, use extreme care not to scratch the paint and primer or damage the pinch weld during glass removal.
NOTICE: Take precautions to prevent damage to other components when cutting urethane.
- Remove the front overhead console. Please follow the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures in Section 501-12.
- Disconnect the panoramic roof panel blind motor connector. See Figure 1.
- Remove the sunroof seal. See Figure 2.
- Using a cold knife, cut the urethane bead between the panoramic roof panel and body. See Figure 3.
IMPORTANT: ATTEMPTING TO CUT THE URETHANE BEAD IN LOW CLEARANCE AREAS CAN LEAD TO GLASS BREAKAGE.
- If the clearance between the panoramic roof panel and body becomes too tight and the cold knife begins to bind, discontinue cutting in that area and resume cutting the remainder of the urethane bead. Lift and reposition the panoramic roof panel slightly to allow the urethane bead in the low clearance area to be cut.
- Remove the panoramic roof panel from the vehicle and place it upside down on a padded surface to prevent damage.
NOTE: Headliner removal is not required for the following step.
- Remove the sun shade from the panoramic roof panel. Please follow the WSM procedures in
- Remove and discard the 14 spacers from the panoramic roof panel. Use a lint-free wiping tissue that is well moistened with acetone to remove any adhesive residue. See Figure 4.
- Using a utility knife or razor blade scraper with a new blade at roughly a 30 degree angle, completely remove the urethane and primer from the panoramic roof panel. See Figure 5.
- To ensure best results, use one razor blade per side and cut in a single direction. More than one pass will be required to remove all of the primer and urethane from the surface of the glass.
NOTICE: Do not scrape the razor blade back and forth.
NOTICE: If the urethane and primer cannot be completely removed from the surface of the panoramic roof panel, it must be replaced.
- Prepare the panoramic roof panel for installation. See Figure 6.
- Clean the bonding surface using a new lint-free wiping tissue moistened with acetone for each edge of the panoramic roof panel. Wipe in a single direction using constant pressure to remove any contaminants. Repeat this step two additional times.
- Clean the bonding surface using a new lint-free wiping tissue moistened with isopropyl alcohol for each edge of the panoramic roof panel. Wipe in a single direction using constant pressure to remove any contaminants. Repeat this step two additional times.
NOTICE: The panoramic roof panel must be installed within 2 hours of cutting the urethane adhesive. Cut or scraped urethane becomes oxidized and inactive beyond 2 hours, reducing the effectiveness of the repair bond.
- Prepare the vehicle pinch weld. See Figure 7.
- Trim the original urethane adhesive using a utility knife, leaving a 1 mm to 2 mm (0.04 in to 0.08 in) base on the pinch weld.
- Remove any foreign material or dirt from the pinch weld using a soft brush or vacuum.
- If any of the pinch weld metal was exposed during panoramic roof panel removal or urethane bead trimming, apply primer to the exposed metal.
- If using Dow brand products, apply Dow Betaprime 5504G primer.
- If using Sika brand products, apply Sika Primer-207 primer.
- Install 14 new spacers onto the panoramic roof panel. See Figure 4.
NOTE: Headliner removal/installation is not required for the following step.
- Install the sun shade onto the panoramic roof panel. Please follow the WSM procedures in Section 501-05.
- Apply primer to glass surface. See Figure 6.
- If using Dow brand products, apply Dow Betaprime 5504G primer.
- If using Sika brand products, apply Sika Aktivator Pro primer.
NOTICE: Make sure the urethane bead is uniform to prevent air and water leaks.
NOTE: The fixed glass must be installed within 10 minutes of applying the urethane adhesive.
- Using a suitable power caulk gun, apply urethane to the vehicle pinch weld.
- If using Dow brand products, apply Dow Betaseal Express urethane adhesive.
- If using Sika brand products, apply SikaTack MACH 30 or MACH 60 urethane adhesive.
NOTICE: Open the vehicle windows to prevent the air pressure of closing doors from compromising the urethane adhesive bond.
NOTICE: The door windows must be left open during the adhesive curing time.
WARNING: Do not drive vehicle until the urethane adhesive seal has cured. Follow urethane adhesive manufacturer’s curing directions. Inadequate or incorrect curing of the urethane adhesive seal will adversely affect glass retention. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious injury to vehicle occupant(s).
- Install the panoramic roof panel, pressing firmly by hand to ensure a good bond.
- Secure the panoramic roof panel in the correct position with tape until the urethane adhesive has cured.
- Install the sunroof seal. See Figure 2.
- Reconnect the panoramic roof panel blind motor connector. See Figure 1.
- Install the front overhead console. Please follow the WSM procedures in Section 501-12.
Ford Motor Company Recall
Reimbursement Plan for 16S35
Ford and Lincoln dealers are in the best position to quickly and efficiently process reimbursement requests. However, federal legislation requires all motor vehicle manufacturers to establish processes through which customers may seek recall reimbursement directly from the manufacturer or from the dealers.
Regarding the specific reimbursement plan for Recall # 16S35, owners who have paid for service to remedy the defect or noncompliance must have had that service performed prior to November 11, 2016. After this date, if repairs related to this recall are performed by a non-Ford repair facility in an emergency situation, customers must submit any refund requests through their dealership. As required by this federal regulation, Ford Motor Company submitted the details of its latest General Recall Reimbursement Plan in a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in February 2015. The following is the text of that letter and the Plan:
General Recall Reimbursement Plan
(As submitted to the NHTSA)
Pursuant to the requirements set forth in 49 CFR Part 573 and Part 577 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Ford Motor Company (Ford) is submitting required information pertaining to our general reimbursement plan for the cost of remedies paid for by vehicle owners before they are notified of a related safety recall.
Set forth below is Ford’s general plan to reimburse owners and purchasers for costs incurred for remedies in advance of notification of potential safely-related defects or noncompliances pursuant to Part 573.6 (c)(8)(i). This plan has not changed since our February 20, 2015 submission.
specified ending date. In accordance with Part 573.13 (c)(2), this ending date will be defined as a minimum of ten calendar days after the date on which Ford mailed the last of its Part 577 notifications to owners, and will be indicated in the specific reimbursement plan available to owners for an individual recall. This notice will direct owners to seek eligible reimbursement through authorized dealers or, at their option, directly through Ford at the following address:
Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 6251
Dearborn, MI 48121-6251
Ford notes that this rule allows for the identification of a beginning date for reimbursement eligibility. Under the rule, an owner who paid to remedy the defect or noncompliance prior to the identified beginning date would not be eligible for reimbursement. Ford generally has not established such a beginning date for reimbursement eligibility and does not presently anticipate changing this general policy. However, in any case where Ford determines a beginning date is appropriate, Ford will indicate that date in the owner notice. As permitted by 577.11(e), Ford may not include a reimbursement notification when all vehicles are well within the warranty period, subject to approval by the agency.
Costs to be Reimbursed
For vehicles, reimbursement will not be less than the lesser of:
- The amount paid by the owner for the remedy that specifically addressed and was reasonably necessary to correct the defect or noncompliance that is the subject of the recall, or
- The cost of parts for the remedy (to be no more than the manufacturer’s list retail price for authorized part(s), plus associated labor at local labor rates, miscellaneous fees (such as disposal of waste) and taxes.
For replacement equipment, reimbursement will be the amount paid by the owner for the replacement item (limited by the amount of the retail list price of the defective or noncompliant item that was replaced, plus taxes, where the brand or model purchased by the owner was different than the brand or model that was the subject of the recall). If the item of motor vehicle equipment was repaired, the reimbursement provisions identified above for vehicles will apply.
Ford notes that costs incurred by the owner within the period during which Ford’s original or extended warranty would have provided for a free repair of the problem will not be eligible for reimbursement, as provided by Part 573.13 (d)(1).
Entities Authorized to Provide Reimbursement
Ford will continue to use authorized dealers to reimburse owners under the specific reimbursement plans for a particular recall, and will encourage owners to pursue requests for reimbursement directly through dealers to expedite reimbursement. Ford will also provide a mailing address to which customers can, at their option, send requests for reimbursement directly to Ford, as previously noted. Requests for reimbursement sent directly to Ford may take up to 60 days to process. Whether the owner chooses to pursue reimbursement requests through a dealer or directly through Ford, the owner will be directed to submit the required documentation, upon which reimbursement eligibility will be determined.
The reimbursement determination will depend upon the information provided by the customer. Consistent with Part 573.13 (d)(4) the following information must be submitted:
- Claimant name and address
- Vehicle make, model, and model year
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) and, for replacement equipment, a description of such equipment or, for tires, the model, size and TIN (DOT code)
- Identification of the recall number (either the Ford recall number or the NHTSA recall number)
- Identification of the owner of the recalled vehicle at the time that the pre-notification remedy was obtained
- An original receipt for the pre-notification remedy that includes a breakdown of the amount for parts, labor, other costs and taxes, including costs for the replacement item. Where the receipt covers work other than to address the recall or noncompliance, Ford may require the claimant to separately identify costs that are eligible for reimbursement.
- If the remedy was obtained during the warranty period, documentation indicating that the warranty was not honored or the warranty repair did not correct the problem related to the recall.
Failure to submit all of the above information may result in denial of the reimbursement request.
The Part 577 required owner notice will provide a toll-free telephone number through which specific information about the reimbursement plan can be requested from Ford. This general reimbursement plan will be incorporated into notifications pursuant to Part 573.6 by reference. Information specific to an individual recall also may be incorporated into the Part 573.6 notification.
* * * IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL * * *
(PROGRAMA DE SEGURIDAD IMPORTANTE)
Safety Recall Notice 16S35 / NHTSA Recall 16V-695
Aviso de Revisión de Seguridad 16S35
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 12345678901234567
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.
|What is the issue?||On your vehicle, the panoramic roof glass panel may not be properly bonded to the vehicle, which may result in wind noise, water leaks, and in some cases, separation from the vehicle. Separation of the entire panoramic roof panel from the vehicle while driving increases the risk of a crash or injury.|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to remove, clean, and reinstall your vehicle’s panoramic roof glass panel free of charge (parts and labor).|
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is less than one day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 16S35. Provide the dealer with your VIN, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.|
If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions. Ford Motor Company wants you to have this safety recall completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed.
Please note: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Your vehicle may be equipped with a diagnostic feature called the Vehicle Health Report which can inform you about all available recalls, as well as other key vehicle health information. Please see https://owner.ford.com/vehicle–health for more information.
|Do you need a rental vehicle?||Your dealer is authorized to provide a rental vehicle for your personal transportation at no charge (except for fuel and insurance) while your vehicle is at the dealership for repairs. Please see your dealer for guidelines and limitations.|
|Have you previously paid for this repair?||If you have previously paid for a repair that addresses the issue described in this letter, you still need to have this recall performed to ensure the correct parts and procedures were used.|
You may be eligible for a refund of previously paid repairs. Refunds will only be provided for service related to wind noise or water leaks from the panoramic roof glass panel, or panoramic roof glass panel separation. To verify eligibility and expedite reimbursement, give your paid original receipt to your dealer.
Refund requests may also be sent directly to Ford Motor Company. To request your refund from Ford, send the refund request with all required documentation, including your original repair receipt (no photocopies), to
Ford Motor Company at P.O. Box 6251, Dearborn, Michigan 48121-6251.
Refund requests mailed to this address may take up to 60 days to process. Your original receipt will be returned to you.
Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.|
You received this notice because government regulations require that notification be sent to the last known owner of record. Our records are based primarily on state registration and title data, which indicate that you are the current owner.
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance. RETAIL OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com.|
For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM(Eastern Time).
FLEET OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, choose Option #3, and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.fleet.ford.com. Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1 800 424 9153) or go to www.safercar.gov. Reference NHTSA Safety Recall 16V-695.
|Para asistencia en Español||Visite nuestro sitio web para ver este anuncio en Español al siguiente dirección: https://es.owner.ford.com/recall.|
Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame al Centro de Relación con Clientes al 1-866-436-7332 y presione 2 para Español.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division