Ford Motor Company, (Ford) is conducting a regional recall for certain model year 2005-2006 Ford GT vehicles vehicles originally sold, or ever registered, in geographic locations associated with high absolute humidity.
Specifically, vehicles sold, or ever registered, in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Saipan, Guam, and American Samoa, as well as certain areas of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, and Georgia, are included.
Upon deployment of the passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger’s frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the inflators in all affected vehicles, free of charge.
The recall began January 30, 2015.
Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332.
Ford’s number for this recall is 14S28.
NOTE: This recall supersedes, in part, safety recall 14V-343 as to the front passenger air bag inflators only.
The driver’s air bag inflators will continue to be addressed by that recall.
May 3, 2016
REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
- The process for returning replaced airbag inflators has changed. All claims paid beginning May 10, 2016 will be issued FCS-700 tags, and airbag inflators must be returned through the Regional Core Recovery Centers (RCRCs). RCRCs will only pick-up airbag inflators that have a corresponding FCS-700 Tag. Airbag inflators replaced under claims paid prior to May 10, 2016 must be returned using the previous shipping process.
- To comply with NHTSA’s directive to have traceability of airbag inflator installations in vehicles, dealers are required to document the new airbag inflator serial number and provide to Ford during submission of the warranty claim.
NOTE: Ranger vehicles are covered under Safety Recall 15S22.
Certain Ford GT vehicles identified below that were originally sold in or ever registered in Alabama, American Samoa, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Hawaii, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, Saipan, Texas, and U.S. Virgin Islands.
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Date Range|
|Ford GT||2005-2006||Wixom||February 11, 2005 through January 30, 2006|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requested that Ford Motor Company take this safety action in the areas defined above.
Dealers are to replace the passenger airbag inflator and return the original inflator for analysis. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner Letters were mailed the week of January 26, 2015. Owner Letters for vehicles in the expanded HAH region were mailed the week of November 23, 2015. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Attachment IV: Regional Core Recovery Center Airbag Inflator Return Process
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED
FSA VIN list was available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on December 17, 2014, and updated on November 23, 2015 to include vehicles in the expanded HAH region. Owner names and addresses were available on February 6, 2015. Owner names and addresses for vehicles in the expanded HAH region were available on November 30, 2015.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN list may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries.
Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
ADDITIONAL LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS
Submit a request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to the repair if you have any of the following:
- Damage that you believe was caused by the covered condition.
- A condition that requires additional labor and/or parts to complete the repair.
- Aftermarket equipment or non-Ford modifications to the vehicle which might prevent the repair of the covered condition.
Requests for approval after completion of the repair may not be granted. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to deny coverage for related damage in cases where the vehicle owner has not had this recall performed on a timely basis. Additional related damage parts are subject to random selection for return to the Ford Warranty Parts Analysis Center (WPAC).
Refunds are not approved for this program.
The use of rental vehicles is not approved for this program.
FORD GT SPECIAL HANDLING
Dealers are authorized to claim up to a maximum combined value of $200 to provide unique services to Ford GT owners under Safety Recall 14S28. Examples of potential services include:
- Technician travel to vehicle location for repair
- Vehicle transportation (towing/flatbed) to and from dealership
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE).
- Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
NOTE: The serial number of the new airbag inflator must be provided to Ford for the claim to be processed. The Technical Information in this bulletin advises technicians to document the new airbag inflator serial number on the repair order.
- Enter the 11 character serial number of the new airbag inflator in the claim as follows:
- For claims submitted using DMS or OWS on-line, enter the serial number in the Test Results Section.
- Select DTC REQUIRED MEASUREMENT OR RESULTS from the drop down list. Enter the serial number in the CODE field.
- For claims submitted using ACESII on-line, enter the serial number on the ACESII DIAG CODE ENTRY screen.
- MIL ON = N
- Enter the serial number in the OTHER field.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a repair line that is separate from the repair line on which the FSA is claimed. Additional labor and/or parts require prior approval from the SSSC.
- For Ford GT Special Handling, claim up to a maximum of $200. All Special Handling must be on the same repair line the FSA is claimed. Claim Special Handling under Misc. Expense Code “OTHER.”
- For claims submitted using DMS or OWS on-line, enter the serial number in the Test Results Section.
NOTE: Maintain supporting documentation for all Miscellaneous Expenses according to procedure as identified in the Warranty and Policy Manual.
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|5G7Z-63044A74-A||Passenger Airbag Inflator Kit||1|
The DOR/COR number for this recall is 50575.
Order your parts through normal order processing channels. To guarantee the shortest delivery time, an emergency order for parts must be placed.
PART RETENTION AND RETURN
NOTE: All replaced airbag inflators must be returned in the new inflator box. If the new airbag inflator box is damaged or lost, contact Miguel Prigadaa at 210-250-5078 or [email protected] for a replacement box.
NOTE: RCRCs will only pick-up airbag inflators that have a corresponding FCS-700 Tag. Airbag inflators replaced under claims paid prior to May 10, 2016 must be returned using the previous shipping process.
- Part return instructions for dealers in the lower 48 United States:
- Dealers must monitor their PEARS register. A FCS-700 tag will be generated for each airbag inflator on claims paid on or after May 10, 2016. Airbag inflators will be picked up by the RCRCs.
- The RCRC will not pick up airbag inflators that are not properly packaged in the new inflator box. o Refer to Attachment IV for specific airbag inflator return instructions and documentation.
- Disregard prepaid FedEx shipping instructions that may be included in new airbag inflator boxes. However, airbag inflators replaced under claims paid prior to May 10, 2016 must still be returned using the previous FedEx shipping process.
- Part return instructions for dealers outside of the lower 48 United States:
- Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 “WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.”
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In this procedure, you will remove the airbag from the vehicle and replace only the inflator portion of the airbag. The serial number from the new airbag inflator must be recorded on the work order. The replaced inflator will be placed into the packaging from the new inflator to be returned to Takata.
PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
- Remove the passenger airbag from the vehicle. Please follow WSM procedures in Section 501-20B.
- Set the airbag face down onto a surface that will not scratch or damage the airbag face.
- Remove the wiring harness connector retainer from the passenger airbag assembly.
See Figure 1.
NOTE: Carry out this step on the longer wire on the end opposite of the airbag inflator retaining bracket.
- Remove approximately 100 mm (3.93 in) of the yellow conduit from the passenger airbag assembly wire harness. See Figure 2.
- Obtain the shorting clip from the passenger airbag inflator kit, and cut the tab off the shorting clip using side cutters. See Figure 3.
- Position the shorting clip onto the harness wires, and crimp the shorting clip together one side at a time using pliers. See Figure 4.
- Cut the harness wires between the shorting clip and the harness connector. See Figure 5.
- Remove the two airbag inflator retaining bracket nuts and the bracket.
Discard the nuts. See Figure 6.
WARNING: Do not allow any debris on or around the airbag once the inflator is removed.
- With an assistant holding the airbag assembly, remove the inflator from the airbag assembly by pushing outward on the inflator. Set the airbag inflator aside for return shipping. See Figure 7.
- If required, use of a brass punch is permitted (only at the location shown) to free the inflator from its mounted position.
- Record the 11 character serial number of the new airbag inflator on the repair order. See Figure 8.
NOTE: The indexed end of the airbag inflator must be installed first to mate with the permanently mounted bracket.
- Install the new passenger airbag inflator into the airbag assembly, ensuring the indexed end mates to the permanently mounted bracket. See Figure 9.
- Install the passenger airbag inflator retaining bracket using the new nuts. See Figure 6.
- Tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb-in).
- Install the new wire harness retainer onto the passenger airbag assembly. See Figure 1.
NOTE: Line up the T-shape index on both the wiring harness electrical connector and the airbag inflator. Pull gently on the wiring harness to ensure it is properly seated.
- Connect the new wiring harness to both sides of the passenger airbag inflator. See Figure 10.
- Re-install the passenger airbag. Please follow WSM procedures in Section 501-20B.
- Package the replaced inflator in the new part box and provide to the appropriate dealership personnel for part returns.
REGIONAL CORE RECOVERY CENTER AIRBAG INFLATOR RETURN PROCESS
PART RETURN INSTRUCTIONS AND SHIPPING DOCUMENTATION
The Regional Core Recover Center (RCRC) will only pick up airbag inflators with a corresponding FCS-700 tag, and the replaced inflator must be packaged in the box from the new inflator. A FCS700 tag will be generated for each airbag inflator on claims paid on or after May 10, 2016.
Print and provide both of the following completed documents to the RCRC driver:
- Hazardous Materials Shipping Document (Page 2)
- In the box titled Shipper, enter your dealership name and address.
- In the box titled Receiver, enter the address of your Regional Core Recovery Center. NOTE: Page 4 contains a list of RCRC locations. If you are unsure of which RCRC location serves your dealership, consult the RCRC driver.
- In the box titled Number/Type of Package, enter the number of boxed inflators.
- In the box titled Weight, enter the total shipment weight of all boxed inflators.
- At the bottom of the Hazardous Materials Shipping Document, complete the Shipper’s Certification
- North American Emergency Response Guide 171 (Page 3)
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SHIPPING DOCUMENT – GROUND TRANSPORTATION
|Dealership Name:||Ford Motor Company|
|Regional Core Recovery Center|
|24-HOUR EMERGENCY CONTACT: INFOTRAC 1-800-535-5053 (Domestic)
General Instructions: Pursuant to 49 CFR each person who offers a hazardous material for transportation shall perform the following pre- transportation functions: (1) Determine the hazard class of the material (2) Select authorized hazmat packaging (3)Fill hazmat packaging (4) Properly close hazmat packaging (5) Properly mark the package (6) Properly label the package (7) Prepare shipping document (8) Provide and maintain emergency response information (9) Review shipping paper to verify compliance to 49 CFR (10) Sign shipping document to certify shipment is in conformance to 49 CFR (11) Load hazardous material in transport vehicle (12) Segregate hazardous material from incompatible cargo (13) Select, provide or affix placards to transport vehicle to indicate that it holds hazardous materials.
Also, pursuant to 49 CFR an employer must ensure any employee performing any function affecting the transport of hazardous materials must be appropriately trained for the function the employee performs and must be retrained every thirty-six months.
|DOT Shipping Description|
|Number/Type of Package||
UN Number, Proper Shipping Name , Hazard Class, Packing Group
|Box(es)||UN3268, Safety Devices, Class 9||Lbs.|
Shipper’s Certification (49 CFR 172.204): This is to certify that the above named materials are properly classified, described, packaged, marked and labeled and are in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of the Department of Transportation.
|00708||TRI COUNTY COMMERCE PARK, BLDG. 3/3A, 2511 LOVI ROAD||FREEDOM||PA||15042|
|01183||20501 PENNSYLVANIA ROAD STE 140||BROWNSTOWN Twp||MI||48192|
|01326||9040 BURROUGH DOVER LANE||PENNSAUKEN||NJ||08110|
|01728||3700 CLAYMOORE PK. DR., S. 160||HOUSTON||TX||77043|
|01729||5915 CORRIDOR PARKWAY||SCHERTZ||TX||78154|
|02276||4300 ROUND LAKE ROAD W. UNIT 200||ARDEN HILLS||MN||55112|
|02454||1605 SURVEYOR BLVD.||CARROLLTON||TX||75006|
|03001||8333 WASHINGTON PL NE Suite E||ALBUQUERQUE||NM||87113|
|03199||7103 E. 47TH AVE.||DENVER||CO||80216|
|04861||5503 F ST||OMAHA||NE||68117|
|05399||3421 W. WELDON.||PHOENIX||AZ||85017|
|05495||4161 DIXON AVE||DES MONIES||IA||50313|
|05514||3645 DEVELOPERS RD.||INDIANAPOLIS||IN||46227|
|06201||3737 S. CAPITOL AVE.||WHITTIER||CA||90601|
|06583||600 SOUTH THERESA AVE.||ST LOUIS||MO||63103|
|06586||4444 SOUTH BLVD.||CHARLOTTE||NC||28209|
|06615||8242 SANDY COURT||JESSUP||MD||20794|
|06952||7145 INDUSTRIAL||EL PASO||TX||79915|
|06953||550 GILLS DRIVE||ORLANDO||FL||32824|
|06954||5286 GEORRGIA HWY 85, SUITE 200||FOREST PARK||GA||30297|
|06955||545 FORD AVE||JACKSON||MS||39209|
|06959||900 W. MAIN||OKLAHOMA CITY||OK||73106|
|07089||4304 EUBANK ROAD||RICHMOND||VA||23231|
|08263||11 CHAPIN RD, UNIT A||PINE BROOK||NJ||07058|
|08453||18637 72nd AVE S||KENT||WA||98032|
|08454||5220 N. E. 152ND PLACE||PORTLAND||OR||97230|
|08587||2999 MILLER STREET||SAN LEANDRO||CA||94577|
|08731||8250 NE UUNDERGROUND DRIVE PILLAR 153||KANSAS CITY||MO||64161|
|08858||2333 S. 1800 WEST||WEST VALLEY CITY||UT||84119|
|09001||3311 CORPORATE DR||JOLIET||IL||60431|
|09121||444 WHITNEY ST||NORTHBOROUGH||MA||01532|
|09252||1901 LEMOYNE AVE.||SYRACUSE||NY||13208|
* * * IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL * * *
(PROGRAMA DE SEGURIDAD IMPORTANTE)
Safety Recall Notice 14S28 / NHTSA Recall 14V-787
Aviso de Revisión de Seguridad 14S28
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
This notice applies to your vehicle, 12345678901234567.
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the Vehicle Identification Number shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.
|What is the issue?||In certain vehicles, continued exposure to areas with high levels of absolute humidity may cause the front passenger side air bag inflator housing to rupture and deploy abnormally in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger side frontal airbag. An inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring vehicle occupants. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace the passenger airbag inflator free of charge (parts and labor).|
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Safety Recall 14S28. Provide the dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of your vehicle. The VIN is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.
If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions.
Ford Motor Company wants you to have this safety recall completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed.
Please note: Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.
You received this notice because government regulations require that notification be sent to the last known owner of record. Our records are based primarily on state registration and title data, which indicate that you are the current owner.
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance.
RETAIL OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com.
Para asistencia en Español:
Si necesita ayuda o tiene alguna pregunta, por favor llame al Centro de Relación con Clientes al 1-866-436-7332 y presione 2 para Español.
FLEET OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, Option #3 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
Or you may contact us through the Internet at www.fleet.ford.com.
If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division