December 4, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V859000
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V859
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 3,857
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2020 Explorer and Lincoln Aviator vehicles. Over time, the protective sleeve on the vapor fuel line may chafe through the plastic liquid fuel line and cause a fuel leak.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will install a longer protective sleeve on the liquid fuel line, as necessary, free of charge. Owners will be notified of the safety risk with an interim letter on January 20, 2020. A second notice will be sent once parts are available, expected to be late in the first quarter of 2020. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 19S49.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
December 5, 2019
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Explorer||2020||Chicago||January 18, 2019 through July 17, 2019|
|Aviator||2020||Chicago||January 15, 2019 through July 17, 2019|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the liquid fuel line may have been assembled with a convolute protective sleeve that is not long enough. This may allow for potential hard contact with the convoluteprotected vapor fuel line. Over time, with vehicle vibration and engine roll, the convolute on the vapor fuel line could rub through the plastic liquid fuel line leading to a hole and potential leak of liquid fuel. A fluid leak at the top of the engine compartment could contact hot engine components, increasing the risk of fire.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect vehicles for a full length yellow-colored protective convolute and a tie strap on the liquid fuel line. If the convolute does not cover the full length of the liquid fuel line or if there is no tie strap present, dealers will remove the existing convolute and replace with the correct length convolute and secure with a tie strap in the instructed location. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of January 20, 2020. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
OASIS will be activated on December 5, 2019.
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on December 5, 2019. Owner names and addresses will be available by February 4, 2020.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries. Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Ford has not issued instructions to stop selling/delivering or driving used vehicles under this safety recall. Owners should contact their dealer for an appointment to have their vehicles remedied as soon as practicable. Owners can continue to safely drive their vehicles.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
- Use OASIS to identify any affected vehicles in your used vehicle inventory.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act law effective June 2016 prohibits a rental company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. Please consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
Refunds are not approved for this program.
Rental vehicles are not approved for this program
LINCOLN PICKUP AND DELIVERY
Owners of 2017 MY and newer Lincoln vehicles have the option of requesting pickup and delivery service with a Lincoln loaner (up to 2 days), from their dealership. For details, reference EFC07122, 2019 Lincoln Pickup & Delivery Updates.
LINCOLN CLIENT SPECIAL HANDLING
- Fuel fill
- Gift Card for the client’s favorite restaurant
The Lincoln Loyalty Program is exclusive to Lincoln Dealers. Owners will not be notified of this service in owner mailings. Reference EFC07126, Lincoln Loyalty Program Announcement for additional details.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For related damage and access time requirements, refer to the Warranty and Policy Manual / Section 6 – Ford & Lincoln Program Policies / General Information & Special Circumstances for FSA’s / Related Damage.
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, no SSSC approval is required, although related damage must be on a separate repair line with the “Related Damage” radio button checked.
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Claim Entry: Enter claims using Dealer Management System (DMS) or One Warranty Solution (OWS) online.
- When entering claims, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (19S49) is the sub code.
- For additional claims preparation and submission information, refer to the Recall and Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) Repairs in the OWS User Guide.
- Related Damage/Additional labor and/or parts: Must be claimed as Related Damage on a separate repair line from the FSA with same claim type and sub code as described in Claim Entry above.
IMPORTANT: Click the Related Damage Indicator radio button.
- Lincoln Pickup & Delivery: Claims for Lincoln Pickup & Delivery with a Lincoln loaner (up to 2 days) should be submitted on a separate line from the FSA. Refer to EFC07122, 2019 Lincoln Pickup & Delivery Updates for details.
- Lincoln Client Special Handling: Reference EFC07126, Lincoln Loyalty Program Announcement for Requirements and Claiming Instructions. Claims for Lincoln Loyalty should be submitted as a separate line on the same Repair Order.
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|Inspect fuel line convolute length and tie strap – PASS||19S49A||0.2 Hours|
|Inspect fuel line convolute length and tie strap – FAIL
Install Fuel Line Service Kit
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
SSSC Web Contact Site:
- Fuel line service kits are not yet available to repair all vehicles which require installation. Until parts are available to repair all vehicles, dealers may only repair vehicles, which are customerowned vehicles and unsold vehicles with a signed sales contact.
- To place an emergency order for a fuel line service kit, submit a VIN-specific Part Order contact via the SSSC Web Contact Site, along with the following:
- VIN-specific photo showing the convolute does not cover the full length of the liquid fuel line or if there is no tie strap present.
- Any unsold vehicles must include a copy of the signed sales contact.
- Part orders will be taken but will be held by SSSC until sufficient quantities are available, which is expected by January 2020.
|Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity||Part Number|
|Fuel Line Service Kit||1||1||L1MZ-9B149-A|
Less than 10% of the affected vehicle population is expected to require the installation of the fuel line service kit.
Dealers will be notified via a DOES II communication if circumstances warrant a change in part supply strategy and when open ordering resumes.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In some of the affected vehicles, the liquid fuel line may have been assembled with a convolute protective sleeve that is not long enough. This may allow for potential hard contact with the convolute-protected vapor fuel line. Over time, with vehicle vibration and engine roll, the convolute on the vapor fuel line could rub through the plastic liquid fuel line leading to a hole and potential leak of liquid fuel. A fluid leak at the top of the engine compartment could contact hot engine components, increasing the risk of fire. Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect vehicles for a full length yellow-colored protective convolute and a tie strap on the liquid fuel line. If the convolute does not cover the full length of the liquid fuel line or if there is no tie strap present, dealers will remove the existing convolute and replace with the correct length convolute and secure with a tie strap in the instructed location. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
1. Open the hood.
2. Locate the fuel hard line and yellow protective sleeve, near the oil dip stick, on the Left Hand (LH) side of the engine. See Figure 1.
3. Measure the yellow protective sleeve:
a. Is the yellow protective sleeve approximately 96mm (3.78 in) long?
b. Is the yellow protective sleeve properly located?
c. Is the yellow protective sleeve held in position by a tie strap?
- See Figures 2 and 3.
NOTE: The short piece of convolute that requires replacement is 60mm (2.36 in), the longer piece is 96mm (3.78 in), and the difference between the two pieces is 35mm (1.38 in). Also the longer piece has a tie strap on it.
– If Yes to a, b and c above – This completes the recall.
– No – Obtain kit number L1MZ-9B149-AA and follow the instruction sheet number SKL1M3-9B149-AA for fuel line sleeve replacement.
FORD MEDIA CENTER
Ford Motor Company Issues Two Safety Recalls in North
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 6, 2019 – Ford Motor Company is issuing two safety recalls in North America.
Safety recall for select 2017-19 Ford F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty vehicles for unintended tailgate opening
Ford is issuing a safety recall for select 2017-19 Ford F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty vehicles for unintended
tailgate opening. In affected vehicles with an electric tailgate latch-release switch mounted in the tailgate handle, water
entering the electrical wiring system may cause a short circuit, resulting in unintended switch activation and release of
the tailgate latches. This could cause the tailgate to open unintentionally, whether the vehicle is in motion or stationary.
This condition may result in the loss of unrestrained cargo, increasing the risk of a crash. Vehicles with a mechanical
tailgate release handle are not affected.
Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
This action affects 231,664 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories and 29,953 in Canada.
Affected vehicles were built at Kentucky Truck Plant from Oct. 8, 2015, to Nov. 3, 2019.
Dealers will modify the tailgate frame wiring harnesses by adding jumper pigtails to isolate the tailgate release control
circuits and install a new tailgate handle release switch. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S48.
Safety recall for select 2020 Ford Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator vehicles with 3.0-liter engines
Ford is issuing a safety recall for select 2020 Ford Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator vehicles. In some affected vehicles,
the convolute protective sleeve on the liquid fuel line is not long enough, which may allow for potential hard contact
with the convolute-protected vapor fuel line. Over time, with vibration and engine roll, hard contact between the two
fuel lines could cause the convolute on the vapor fuel line to rub through the plastic liquid fuel line. A fuel leak in the
presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.
Ford is not aware of any reports of accident, injury or fire related to this condition.
This action affects 3,858 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 35 in Canada, and seven in Mexico.
Affected vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant:
• Ford Explorer vehicles built Jan. 18-July 17, 2019
• Lincoln Aviator vehicles built Jan. 15-July 17, 2019
Dealers will inspect vehicles for a full-length yellow-colored protective convolute on the liquid fuel line. If the convolute
does not cover the full length of the liquid fuel line, dealers will remove the existing convolute, replace it with one that
has the correct length and secure it with a tie strap. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S49.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs, manufactures, markets
and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial
services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is pursuing leadership positions in electrification, autonomous
vehicles and mobility solutions. Ford employs approximately 191,000 people worldwide. For more information
regarding Ford, its products and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit corporate.ford.com.
2 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Safety Recall 19S49
Miscellaneous Document – Media Correspondence
Latest Recalls Documents
- High Quality Polyethylene Material: with newly high tech to heighten density, our wire loom is thermostable and inflaming retarding!
- High Operation temperature Range: Operating range of -40 Fahrenheit to 257 Fahrenheit(-40 to 125 degrees Celsius), great for automotive, marine, industrial, office, home…
- Protect Your Wires: resistant to abrasion, corrosion, gasoline, oil, and other harmful chemicals.
- Easy Installation: With side-cut Flexible Ribbed Tube is much easier to use.
- High quality material and high operating range will protect your wires from a chewing-like pet or oil or heat.
- Size: Inner diameter: 1/2"| Length: 25 Feet | Color: Black. Our wire loom is made of 100% new and high quality polyethylene
- Our split loom is split and easy to put wires in. Our split loom tubing is thick enough to provide full protection for the wires
- Operating temp (degree F.):-94 to 257 | our split wire loom is used to protect electrical wiring in industry,automotive,home & office
- Our wire loom tubing is resistance to abrasion & harmful chemicals corrosion.Good chemical stability
- Our wire protector tubing is used to wrap wires,and make cables wires neat and orderly
- Size: 2" Diameter (ID) | Length: 25 Feet | Color: Black
- This Wire Loom is SPLIT
- Can withstand temperatures up to 200 °F
- Made from durable polyethylene
- Due to the difficult manufacturing process of colors, any colored wire loom may not exactly match the displayed color, nor match from size to size or batch to batch. Therefore color options ordered may not exactly match the image you are seeing, but will be a tone of the same color family (possibly lighter or darker tones).
- 1/4 Inch Split Wire Loom - Flex Tubing - 100 Feet - Black
- Flexible Ribbed Tube Design allows for a clean and easy install
- Ideal for a wide range of applications: automotive, marine, industrial, office, home, powersports, and more.
- Material: High Quality Polyethylene
- The ease of use, durability, and dependability of the split loom makes it one of the most popular wire loom options.
- 50 ft of High Density Polyethylene with 3/8 in diameter
- Ideal for Automotive, Marine, Industrial, Office and Home
- Flexible Ribbed Tube Design for clean and easy install
- Oil, Gasoline and abrasion resistant
- Operating temperature: -40F to 200F
- Inner Diameter: 3/8"
- Length: 20'
- Color: Black
- Free Shipping
- Inner Diameter: 3/4"
- Length: 20'
- Color: Black
- Split Loom Tube
- 5/8 Inch 16 mm
- 100 Foot Roll
- Size: Diameter: 3/4"| Length: 25 Feet | Color: Black. Our wire loom is split and easy to load wires. Once loaded, our cable sleeve will close on itself and perfect wire wrap
- Operating temp (degree F.):-103 to 257|Melt temp: 446. Our cable management sleeve is used for Hifi speaker hdmi automotive wires
- Our cord protector keeps cat from chewing cables. Our cable protector is insulated
- Our wire sleeve: UL Recognized
- Our cable organizer keeps the cords organized with no more messy cables in your home and office
- Inner Diameter: 3/8"
- Length: 100'
- Color: Black
Last update on 2020-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API