March 1, 2018
This program will be in effect through July 31, 2019. There is no mileage limit for this program.
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
This program includes vehicles that are used in specific vocations only, which may be particularly affected by this condition due to duty cycle. These vocations include:
- All F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis
- Bucket/Aerial Boom/Crane
- Tow Trucks
- Airport services (tugs, food, fueling trucks)
- Beverage Trucks
- Mechanical Service (tire service bodies, mobile welding trucks)
NOTE: A notification letter has been sent to select vehicle modifiers requesting they review their records and submit VINs to Ford by April 20, 2018, that were modified for use in one of the vocations listed above. Vehicles that have been verified as meeting the vocation criteria will be added to this program by April 30, 2018.
REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM
In some of the affected vehicles, the camshaft roller follower bearings may experience accelerated wear. Accelerated wear of the camshaft roller follower bearings may cause an engine knocking noise, the check engine light to illuminate, or a no start condition.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of March 5, 2018. Owner letters to those identified to Ford via their vehicle modifier will be mailed by May 31, 2018. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letter
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will not be activated for this service action.
- Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this service action.
- Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this program if the repair was performed before the date of the Owner Notification Letter. This refund offer expires August 1, 2018.
- Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the date of the Owner Notification Letter. Noncovered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed.
- Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with replacement of the camshaft roller followers and related damage.
Rental vehicles are not approved for this program.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For related damage and access time requirements, refer to the Warranty and Policy Manual – Section 6 – Ford/Lincoln Program Policies – Field Service Actions (FSA) – Related Damage.
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, no SSSC approval is required.
- For vehicles outside new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, submit an Approval Request to the SSSC Web Contact Site prior to completing the repair.
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Enter claims using Dealer Management System (DMS) or One Warranty Solution (OWS) online.
- When entering claims, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (17B30) is the sub code.
- For additional claims preparation and submission information, refer to the Recall and Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) Repairs in the OWS User Guide.
- Additional labor and/or parts must be claimed as related damage on a separate repair line from the FSA. IMPORTANT: Click the radio button on the Related Damage Indicator.
- Submit refunds on a separate repair line.
- Program Code: 17B30 – Misc. Expense: ADMIN
- Misc. Expense: REFUND – Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hrs.
- Multiple refunds should be submitted on one repair line and the invoice details for each repair should be detailed in the comments section of the claim.
- Provision for locally obtained supplies includes: silicone sealant, silicone gasket remover, metal surface prep wipes, and dielectric compound.
- Program Code: 17B30
- Misc Expense: OTHER
- Amount: Actual cost up to $40.00
|Description||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|F-450/F-550 and F-59 – Replace all camshaft roller followers||17B30B||4.9 Hours|
|F-650/F-750 – Replace all camshaft roller followers||17B30C||5.4 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
|Part Number||Description||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity|
|3L3Z-6564-A||Camshaft Roller Follower||30||30|
|5C3Z-6584-AA||Valve Cover Gasket LH (2012-2015 model year)||1||1|
|5C3Z-6584-BA||Valve Cover Gasket RH (2012-2015 model year)||1||1|
|DL1Z-6584-A||Valve Cover Gasket LH (2016 model year)||1||1|
|DL1Z-6584-B||Valve Cover Gasket RH (2016 model year)||1||1|
|W716325-S300||Oil Level Indicator O-ring seal (2 per package)||1||1|
|W710926-S430||Camshaft Sprocket Bolt (4 per package)||1||2|
|F1AZ-6278-A||Camshaft Sprocket Washer (2 per package)||1||2|
|7C2Z-9229-A||Fuel Injector O-Ring Kit (F-650/F-750)||1||1|
|XO-5W20-QSP||Motorcraft ® 5W20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (1 quart)||1||1|
|TA-30||Motorcraft ® Gasket and Sealant (or equivalent)||Claim as
|ZC-30-A||Motorcraft ® Silicone Gasket Remover|
|ZC-31-B||Motorcraft ® Metal Surface Prep Wipes|
|XG-3-A||Motorcraft ® Dielectric Compound (or equivalent)|
The DOR/COR number for this program is 51117.
Order your parts requirements through normal order processing channels. To guarantee the shortest delivery time, an emergency order for parts must be placed.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
In some of the affected vehicles, the camshaft roller follower bearings may experience accelerated wear. Accelerated wear of the camshaft roller follower bearings may cause an engine knocking noise, the check engine light to illuminate, or a no start condition. Dealers are to replace the camshaft roller followers for both cylinder heads. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
|General Tools||General Equipment|
|3/8″, 1/4″ and 1/2″ Ratchets||Hose Clamp Pliers|
|1/4″ Drive Sockets- 8mm and 9mm||Pocket Screw Driver|
|1/4″ Drive Extension- 6″||Metal Trim Tool|
|3/8″ Drive Socket- 10mm, 13mm and 15mm||Plastic Scraper|
|1/2″ Drive Deep Socket 18mm|
|3/8″ Drive Extension- 6″||Special Tools|
|1/4″ and 3/8″ Power Ratchets||Compressor, Valve Spring 303-1039|
|Screwdriver- Medium Flat Head||Locking Tool, Timing Chain 303-1175|
|1/4″ and 3/8″ Drive Torque Wrenches|
- Remove the right and left hand camshafts. Please follow the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures in Section 303-01.
- Remove and discard the camshaft roller followers that were not already removed during camshaft removal.
- Lubricate the new camshaft roller followers with clean engine oil.
- Install 23 of the 30 new camshaft roller followers. The remaining 7 camshaft roller followers will be installed during camshaft installation. See Figure 1.
- Reinstall the right and left hand camshafts. Please follow the WSM procedures in section 303-01.
Customer Satisfaction Program 17B30
Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 12345678901234567
At Ford Motor Company, we are committed not only to building high quality, dependable products, but also to building a community of happy, satisfied customers. To demonstrate that commitment, we are providing a no-charge Customer Satisfaction Program for your vehicle with the VIN shown above.
|Why are you receiving this notice?||On your vehicle, it may be possible for the camshaft roller follower bearings in the engine to experience accelerated wear based on duty cycle.|
|What is the effect?||Accelerated camshaft roller follower bearing wear may cause an engine knocking noise, the check engine light to illuminate, or a no start condition.|
|What will Ford and your dealer do?||In the interest of customer satisfaction, Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace the camshaft roller followers free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program.
This Customer Satisfaction Program will be in effect until July 31, 2019, regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
|How long will it take?||The time needed for this repair is one day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.|
|What should you do?||Please call your dealer without delay to schedule a service appointment for Customer Satisfaction Program 17B30. Provide the dealer with your VIN, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter. If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions. Ford Motor Company wants you to have this service action completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed. Ford Motor Company can deny coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have this service action performed on a timely basis. Therefore, please have this service action performed as soon as possible.
NOTE: You can receive information about Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs through our FordPass App. The app can be downloaded through the App Store or Google Play. In addition there are other features such as reserving and paying for parking in certain locations and controlling certain functions on your vehicle (lock or unlock doors, remote start) if it is equipped to allow control.
|Have you previously paid for this repair?||If you have previously paid for a repair that addresses the issue described in this letter, you still need to have this service action performed to ensure the correct parts were used.
If the previously paid for repair was performed before the date of this letter, you may be eligible for a refund. Refunds will only be provided for service related to camshaft roller follower replacement and related damage. To verify eligibility and expedite reimbursement, give your paid original receipt to your dealer before August 1, 2018. To avoid delays, do not send receipts to Ford Motor Company.
|What if you no longer own this vehicle?||If you no longer own this vehicle, and have an address for the current owner, please forward this letter to the new owner.
You received this notice because our records, which are based primarily on state registration and title data, indicate that you are the current owner.
|Can we assist you further?||If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership’s Service Manager for assistance.
RETAIL OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com.
For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
FLEET OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, choose Option #3, and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.fleet.ford.com.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Ford Customer Service Division