May 13, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V366000
If the gear shift lever position does not match the actual transmission gear, the vehicle may move in an unexpected direction. Additionally, despite selecting ‘Park’, if the parking brake is not applied before the vehicle is exited, the vehicle may roll. Either scenario increases the risk of crash or injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V366
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,534
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2019 Ranger vehicles. The fasteners that attach the transmission shifter cable bracket to the transmission may loosen allowing the transmission to be in a different gear than indicated by the gear shift lever position.
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and tighten the transmission shift cable bracket fasteners as necessary, and verify the proper transmission shift operation, free of charge. The recall began July 1, 2019. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 19S15.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
June 13, 2019
REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT
Repairs are now available for all vehicles, including updates to the following sections for 4-wheel drive vehicle repair information:
- technical information
- labor allowances
- parts ordering information
|Vehicle||Model Year||Assembly Plant||Build Dates|
|Ranger||2019||Michigan Truck||March 5, 2019 through March 13, 2019|
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
The affected vehicles may have loose or missing fasteners that attach the transmission shift cable bracket to the transmission housing. A transmission shift cable bracket with loose or missing fasteners can result in the following:
- Unintended vehicle movement or roll away, if the parking brake is not applied.
- When exiting the vehicle, the ignition key (if equipped) can be removed with no Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) warning message or chime indicating that the transmission is not in Park.
- The actual transmission gear as displayed in the IPC may be different than indicated by the position of the transmission shift lever.
- No ability to restart the vehicle, unless the actual transmission gear as displayed in the IPC is Park or Neutral.
These conditions increase the risk of crash or injury.
The parking brake should be applied whenever the vehicle is parked prior to the vehicle repair.
Repairs are now available for all vehicles.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to verify the transmission shift lever cable bracket to transmission fastener torque, and verify proper operation of the shift lever, PRNDS, and starting position. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION AND MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of July 1, 2019. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.
Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Owner Notification Letters
QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
For questions and assistance, contact the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) via the SSSC Web Contact Site. The SSSC Web Contact Site can be accessed through the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website using the SSSC link listed at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen or listed under the SSSC tab.
David J. Johnson
OASIS will be activated on May,14, 2019
FSA VIN LISTS ACTIVATION
FSA VIN Lists will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com on May 14, 2019. Owner names and addresses will be available by July 12, 2019.
NOTE: Your FSA VIN Lists may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and countries. Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
- Ford has not issued instructions to stop selling/delivering or driving used vehicles under this safety Owners should contact their dealer for an appointment to have their vehicles remedied as soon as practicable. Owners can continue to safely drive their vehicles.
- Immediately contact any of your affected customers whose vehicles are not on your VIN list but are identified in OASIS. Give the customer a copy of the Owner Notification Letter (when available) and schedule a service date.
- Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.
- Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle inventory.
- Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
DEALER-OPERATED RENTAL VEHICLES
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act law effective June 2016 prohibits a rental company from selling, renting or leasing vehicles subject to a safety or compliance recall. Please consult your legal counsel for legal advice.
TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this recall.
Refunds are not approved for this program.
Rental vehicles are not approved for this program.
ADDITIONAL REPAIR (LABOR TIME AND/OR PARTS)
Additional repairs identified as necessary to complete the FSA should be managed as follows:
- For related damage and access time requirements, refer to the Warranty and Policy Manual / Section 6 – Ford & Lincoln Program Policies / General Information & Special Circumstances for FSA’s / Related Damage.
- For vehicles within new vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage, no SSSC approval is required, although related damage must be on a separate repair line with the “Related Damage” radio button checked.
- Ford vehicles – 3 years or 36,000 miles
CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
- Claim Entry: Enter claims using Dealer Management System (DMS) or One Warranty Solution (OWS) online.
- When entering claims, select claim type 31: Field Service Action. The FSA number (19S15) is the sub code.
- For additional claims preparation and submission information, refer to the Recall and Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) Repairs in the OWS User Guide.
- Related Damage/Additional labor and/or parts: Must be claimed as Related Damage on a separate repair line from the FSA with same claim type and sub code as described in Claim Entry above.
IMPORTANT: Click the Related Damage Indicator radio button.
|Description||Drive Type||Labor Operation||Labor Time|
|2-Wheel Drive Vehicles – Torque transmission shift lever cable bracket fasteners and check gear display in IPC (includes time to replace fastener(s), if missing)||2-Wheel Drive||19S15B||0.3 Hours|
|4-Wheel Drive||19S15C||0.7 Hours|
|Additional time to perform the transmission shift lever cable adjustment (as needed)||19S15D||0.7 Hours|
PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION
To place an order, submit a VIN-specific Part Order contact via the SSSC Web Contact Site.
|Description||Drive Type||Order Quantity||Claim Quantity||Part Number|
|CV joint-to-transfer case flange cup bolts and retaining straps|
(package contains 2 bolts and one strap)
|Transmission Shift Lever Cable Bracket Fastener (package of 4)*||As Required||W700056-S450B|
NOTE: The CV joint-to-transfer case flange cup bolts and retaining straps are currently not available in sufficient quantities to repair all 4WD vehicles. The CV joint-to-transfer case flange cup bolts and retaining straps part orders can be requested through the SSSC using the SSSC link at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen to repair vehicles that meet the following criteria only:
- Affected customer vehicles that arrive at your dealership.
- New in-stock vehicles with a signed sales contract. (submit copy of contract via SSSC link). It is anticipated that part number AB3Z-4B496-A will be available in sufficient quantities to allow part ordering for all 4WD vehicle repairs, regardless of sales/contract status, the week of July 8, 2019.
Open part ordering for part number AB3Z-4B496-A is expected to begin July 31, 2019.
Dealers will be notified via a DOES II communication if circumstances warrant a change in part supply strategy and when open ordering resumes.
* Less than 2% of the affected vehicle population is expected to require transmission shift lever cable bracket fastener replacement.
For latest prices, refer to DOES II.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Follow the provisions of the Warranty and Policy Manual, Section 1 – WARRANTY PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN POLICIES.
EXCESS STOCK RETURN
Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.
The affected vehicles may have loose or missing fasteners that attach the transmission shift cable bracket to the transmission housing. A transmission shift cable bracket with loose or missing fasteners can result in the display of the actual transmission gear in the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) to be different than indicated by the position of the transmission shift lever, unintended vehicle movement or roll away if the parking brake is not applied, or the inability to restart the vehicle. These conditions increase the risk of crash or injury.
The parking brake should be applied whenever the vehicle is parked prior to the vehicle repair.
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to verify the transmission shift lever cable bracket to transmission fastener torque, and verify proper operation of the shift lever, PRNDS, and starting position.
This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Recommended Tool List:
|General Tools 2-Wheel Drive Vehicles||General Equipment|
|3/8″ Drive Ratchet||Flashlight|
|3/8″ Drive Torque Wrench|
|3/8″ Drive T40 Torx Socket|
|General Tools 4-Wheel Drive Vehicles||Cable Adjustment Tools (If Required)|
|3/8″ Drive Ratchet||1/4″ Drive Power Tool|
|3/8″ Drive Power Tool||1/4″ Drive Ratchet|
|3/8″ Drive Torque Wrench||1/4″ Drive Torque Wrench|
|3/8″ Drive 20 inch Extension||1/4″ Drive 3 inch Extension|
|3/8″ Drive T40 and T45 Torx Socket||1/4″ Drive T20 and T25 Torx Socket|
|Small Rubber Mallet||1/4″ Drive 7mm Socket|
|Paint Marker||Plastic Trim Tool|
1. Is the vehicle 2-wheel drive?
4-Wheel Drive: Proceed to step 2.
2-Wheel Drive: Proceed to step 3.
NOTICE: To avoid damage to the joint or gaiter, do not allow the driveshaft to hang.
NOTE: Make sure that new bolts are installed.
NOTE: Install all the bolts finger tight before final tightening.
NOTE: Lock the driveshaft before removing the bolts to avoid slipping.
- Vehicles equipped with a front driveshaft must have the driveshaft positioned aside to access the shifter cable bracket bolts. See Figure 1.
Stage 2: 120°
- Torque the two transmission shift lever cable bracket fasteners, if the fasteners are missing or damaged replace the fasteners. Proceed to step 4. See Figure 2.
- Torque: 18 Ib.ft (25 Nm).
- Move the transmission shift lever into all gear positions and check the corresponding IPC gear display indicator is illuminated. Additionally, check each gear display indicator remains illuminate while performing each of the checks below without depressing the brake pedal or the shift lever knob.
NOTE: The brake pedal and shift lever knob should be depressed to change shift lever positions between checks.
- “P” remains displayed on the IPC while the transmission shift lever is in park and pulled down to the detent.
- “R” remains displayed on the IPC while the transmission shift lever is in reverse and pushed up to the detent.
- “N” remains displayed on the IPC while the transmission shift lever is in neutral and pushed up t o the detent.
- “D” remains displayed on the IPC while the transmission shift lever is in drive and pushed up and down to the detents.
- “S” remains displayed on the IPC while the transmission shift lever is in sport.
- Did all transmission shift lever checks in Step 4 pass?
Yes: The repair is complete.
- Reassemble the vehicle by reversing the removal steps.
1 Affected Product
10 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – SUBJECT: NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Safety Recall 19S15 Certain 2019 Model Year Ranger Vehicles – Transmission Shift Lever Cable Bracket Fasteners
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD – Safety Recall 19S15 – Supplement #1
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-1
ISSUED Renotification Notice
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- Approximate size: 8 inch length x 4 inch width x 5 inch height
- Features all weather construction and a rubber traction pad that make them the perfect choice to keep your vehicle or trailer secure in any climate.
- Includes built-in handle for easy placement or positioning and rubber traction pad with oil resistant surface to prevent slippage
- Designed to perform better than plastic or resin-made wheel chocks
- Lightweight yet durable enough to keep almost any vehicle or trailer in place
- Helps keep your trailer in place
- Durable hard plastic with UV inhibitors
- Re hitch with confidence
- For use with tires up to 26" in diameter
- Pack of 2
- Safety device to use with ramps or other lifting devices
- Prevents tires from rolling
- Stackable, nestable design for easy and convenient storage
- Constructed of heavy duty resin material for ultimate durability and long-lasting usage
- Not for commercial use
- Sold in pair with 36" nylon cord
- Bright yellow reflective tape adds visibility
- Extruded rubber chock for aircraft, ground equipment, or for anchoring large pipe
- Part number: WC24483
- Wheel Chocks Details: This heavy-duty rubber wheel chocks measures is 8.6 x 3.7 x 4.7 inches and can be used with heavy equipment, lightweight and durable
- Handles Design: Perfect built-in rubber handle for convenient carry and storage
- Wheel Chocks Material: Made of high-quality rubber material for good durability and long-lasting usage. Rubber wheel chocks with oil - resistant and nonslip surface provides superior traction. Non-slip surfaces to design to help the wheel chocks stay in place
- Multifunction: These rubber chocks can be used for a wide range of purposes, perfect for chocking cars, trucks, trailers, small airplanes, RVs, dumpsters, boats, horse trailers, vans, and more to prevent your vehicle rolling away
- After-Sale Support: Choose the right size before purchasing. If you have any question, please feel free to contract us
- TOUGH AND DURABLE: Prevent up to 20,000lbs for trucks and trailers from unintentionally moving, rolling or overturning even on sloped surfaces
- WORKS IN ALL CONDITIONS: All-weather construction makes for reliable performance in any climate and treaded grips works on slippery surfaces.
- CONVENIENT TO USE AND NO SMELL: Predrilled hole for securing in pairs by rope or chain or pry off from tire and molded grab handle for easy positioning.
- PERFECT FOR ANY VEHICLE: Contoured to fit any wheel and is lightweight for easy storing
- EASY TO SEE, HARD TO FORGET: The highly visible orange color makes it more likely to be seen and removed before driving off and also makes it easy to be backed into.
- Provides added stabilization and prevents tire shifts by applying opposing force to tandem tire applications
- As opposed to other chocks, the X-Chock works with the tires natural movement instead of against them
- Fits even the tightest of applications- retracts down to 1-3/8" and extends to 12".
- Rust inhibitive coating
- Plated ratchet wrench with comfort bumper included
- ✅ LONG CONNECTING ROPE: The Valup Rubber Wheel Chocks come with an extra long connecting rope almost 8 inches longer than alternative options, making it easier for you to chock larger vehicles including trucks and trailers.
- ✅ HEAVY DUTY RUBBER: These chocks are made from durable and robust rubber that is far stronger than plastic chocks. Long lasting, slip resistant, weather resistant, and oil resistant, these chocks are built to put up with heavy usage.
- ✅ HIGHLY VERSATILE: These chocks can be used for a wide range of purposes: perfect for chocking cars, trucks, trailers, small airplanes, RVs, dumpsters, boats, horse trailers, vans, and more to prevent your vehicle rolling away.
- ✅ EASY TO USE: Weighing just 4.2lbs each, these chocks are easy to place and remove. Measuring 8.3” x 4.5” x 3.9”, they are large enough to provide solid support while being small enough to use comfortably. Clear red stripes also improve visibility.
- ✅ AVAILABLE IN 1 OR 2 PAIRS: These Rubber Wheel Chocks are sold in two versions, so you can choose from one pair or two pairs. This is convenient if you need more than one pair of chocks for multiple cars, trailers, planes, or other vehicles.
- Wheel Chocks Details: This heavy-duty wheel chocks measures is 10 x 8 x 5.7 inches and weight is 6.7 lbs two pack, can be used with heavy equipment, lightweight and durable
- Wheel Chocks Material: Wheel chocks are made of heavy duty structural poly foam as strong as steel, no stink smell like most rubber chocks
- Convenient Carry: Trailer wheel chocks include a built-in steel eyebolt for attaching a chain or rope for easy positioning and removal of wheel chocks for travel trailers. Eye hook is large and comfortable to grab so you can take with you on the go
- Multifunction and Durable: These chocks can be used for a wide range of purposes, perfect for chocking cars, trucks, trailers, small airplanes, RVs, dumpsters, boats, horse trailers, vans, and more to prevent your vehicle rolling away
- Ideal Choice: This wheel chocks breaks the conventional black, using the orange series is more eye-catching can keep your vehicle or trailer secure at any time, durable and stylish, is the best choice for wheel chock
Last update on 2020-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API