|RIGHT HAND DRIVE – OIL LEAK FROM THE ENGINE OIL COOLER – BUILT ON OR BEFORE 26-JUL-2016|
|Publication Date: November 4, 2016|
This article supersedes TSB 16-0140 to add the predefined repair (PDR) codes.
Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT right hand drive vehicles equipped with a 5.0L twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) engine and built on or before 26-Jul-2016 may exhibit an internally and/or externally leaking engine oil cooler that may result in an overheating engine, engine noise, base engine damage along with an external oil leak.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Check the engine oil and coolant system for contamination. Is the engine oil contaminated with engine coolant or coolant contaminated with oil?
- Yes – proceed to Step 3.
- No – proceed to Step 2.
- Replace the engine oil cooler. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
- Repair is complete.
- Replace the engine assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
- Perform Steps 4 through 8 of this article while the engine is removed.
- Flush the heater core.
- Cut both heater hoses at approximately the center of the hose.
- Using a 19 mm (3/4″) hose coupling adapter and a clamp connect a coupling adapter to the side of the cut heater inlet hose leading to the heater core. (Figures 1 and 2)
- Using a 19 mm (3/4″) hose coupling adapter and a clamp connect another coupling adapter to the side of the cut heater outlet hose coming from the heater core. (Figures 1 and 2)
- Flush the heater core with hot water for 2 minutes.
- Blow out all water from the heater core with regulated shop air. Maximum 276 kPa (40 Psi).
- Fill the heater core with Simple Green PRO HD Heavy Duty Cleaner and Degreaser or equivalent through one of the heater hoses. Install a 12 volt marine wash down pump similar to shown. (Figure 3)
- Connect the heater hoses to the 12 volt marine wash down pump to create a closed loop. (Figure 4)
- Connect the 12 volt marine wash down pump to the vehicle battery with a battery charger hooked up. Run the 12 volt marine wash down pump for 20 minutes.
- Disconnect the 12 volt marine wash down pump from the vehicle battery and from the hoses. Run clear water through the heater core for 4 minutes.
- Discard the cut heater hoses.
- Install jumper assembly into low oil level switch connector C1149. Remove the existing wire harness retainer from the oil pan tab and install the jumper harness retainer into the same location from the bottom. Refer to Wiring manual page 151-10 for connector location.
- Fill the cooling system to specification using the drain and refill vacuum filling procedure in WSM, Section 303-03.
|19 mm (3/4″) Hose Coupling Adapters (2)|
|Hose Clamps 19 mm (3/4″) (2)|
|12 Volt Marine Wash Down Pump|
|Simple Green PRO HD Heavy Duty Cleaner and Degreaser Or Equivalent|
|XO-5W20-QSP||Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A|
|160140A||Inspect And Replace Engine Oil Cooler||1.2 Hrs.|
|160140B||Manual Transmission Inspect, Replace Engine, Engine Oil Cooler, Degas Bottle, Radiator And All Coolant Hoses Includes Time To Flush The Heater Core||12.5 Hrs.|
|160140C||Automatic Transmission: Inspect, Replace Engine, Engine Oil Cooler, Degas Bottle, Radiator And All Coolant Hoses Includes Time To Flush The Heater Core||13.8 Hrs|
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|VC-3-B||Motorcraft Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant|
|FR3Z-9439-A||Gasket – Intake Manifold|
|BR3Z-5A231-B||Clamp – Catalytic Converter (2 Req)|
|BR3Z-5B266-A||Gasket – Catalytic Converter|
|W715618-S437||Nut – Torque Converter (4 Req)|
|W714870-S430||Nut – Catalytic Converter (16 Req)|
|FR3Z-9448-A||Gasket – Catalytic Converter (8 Req)|
|W714869-S431||Stud – Catalytic Converter (16 Req)|
|GR3Z-6840-A||Gasket Oil Cooler|
|DG9Z-8100-A||Degas Bottle Cap|
|GR3Z-6N866-C||Oil Cooler Outlet Tube|
|FR3Z-8260-C||Upper Radiator Hose|
|FR3Z-8286-G||Lower Radiator Hose|
|GR3Z-18472-A||Hose – Heater|
|DR3Z-8566-A||Hose – Bypass|
|BR3Z-6379-A||Bolt – Flywheel (8 Req)|
|Belt – A/C Compressor|
|W717299-S439||Bolt – Pressure Plate (9 Req)|
|W705443-S900||Nut – Catalytic Converter (2 Req)|
|HU5Z-14A411-F||Jumper – Wire Assembly|
|160153A||2016-2017 Mustang 5.0L Right Hand Drive: Inspect And Replace Engine Oil Cooler (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||1.2 Hrs.|
|160153B||2016-2017 Mustang 5.0L Right Hand Drive Manual Transmission: Inspect, Replace Engine, Engine Oil Cooler, Degas Bottle, Radiator And All Coolant Hoses Includes Time To Flush The Heater Core (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||12.5 Hrs.|
|160153C||2016-2017 Mustang 5.0L Right Hand Drive Automatic Transmission: Inspect, Replace Engine, Engine Oil Cooler, Degas Bottle, Radiator And All Coolant Hoses Includes Time To Flush The Heater Core (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||13.8 Hrs.|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|