|TSB 16-0109||DPS6 – AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION – EXCESSIVE TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER AND/OR TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK|
This article supersedes TSB 15-0120 to update the vehicle model years, Service Procedure and Part List.
Some 2011-2015 Fiesta vehicles built on or before 10/15/2014 and 2012-2016 Focus vehicles equipped with a DPS6 automatic transmission may exhibit excessive transmission clutch shudder on light acceleration. Some vehicles may or may not exhibit transmission fluid leaking from the clutch housing.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
NOTE: PERFORMING THE SERVICE ROUTINES WILL CLEAR ADAPTIVE STRATEGY. FAILURE TO PERFORM ALL STEPS OF THE IDS ROUTINES MAY RESULT IN ERRATIC SHIFTS AND DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS.
- Using IDS follow the WSM Diagnosis and Testing, Diagnosis by Symptom, Pinpoint Test A (All Focus and 2014-15 Fiesta) or Pinpoint Test N (2011-2013 Fiesta) – Clutch Shudder on Acceleration to diagnose shudder.
- Save and upload IDS Datalogger Session Data.
- For clutch replacement retrieve repair validation code (RVC).
- New vehicles with less than 1600 km (1000 miles) have not fully completed the clutch friction green clutch break-in period that is required before attempting to replace the clutch or hardware.
- Vehicles built on 6/6/2013 or later have the improved transmission input shaft seals that are unlikely to experience leaks and should only be replaced if leaking.
- If the clutch is replaced, use IDS to reprogram the PCM/TCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 101.04 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
- IDS software updates have been made to streamline the process and improve DPS6 Shudder diagnostics and reprogramming.
- Adjust the vehicle clock as required, it may have lost time during the reprogramming process.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|EV6Z-7052-C||Focus Seal Kit – (Figure 1) Required For All Clutch And Seal Repairs|
|EV6Z-7052-D||Fiesta Seal Kit – (Figure 1) Required For All Clutch And Seal Repairs|
|FA6Z-7B546-A||Dual Clutch Assembly Kit -Fiesta Built On Or After 1/13/2011|
|FA6Z-7B546-B||Dual Clutch Assembly Kit – Fiesta Built On Or Before 1/12/2011|
|F1FZ-7B546-B||Dual Clutch Assembly Kit – Focus|
|AE8Z-7007-A||Engine-to-Transaxle Separator Plate – 1.6L|
|XT-11-QDC||Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid|
|PM-4-A||Motorcraft Metal Brake Parts Cleaner|
|XL-2||Motorcraft High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant|
|F1FZ-7H183-A||Differential Seal Plug (2-req, can be used for multiple repairs)|
|BE8Z-6731-AB||Motorcraft Oil Filter FL-910S|
|XO-5W20-QSP||Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (1-quart)|
|1S7Z-6840-AA||Oil Filter Adapter Gasket – Focus|
|BE8Z-6L621-A||Oil Cooler Assembly Seal-Fiesta (As Needed)|
|160109A||2012-2016 Focus/2011-2015 Fiesta DPS6: Perform Pinpoint Test Per WSM Procedure, Release The Vehicle, Within Expected Limits (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.6 Hr.|
|160109B||2012-2016 Focus/2011-2015 Fiesta DPS6: Perform Pinpoint Test Per WSM Procedure, Outside Of Expected Limits Retrieve RVC Code, Requires RVC Code (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation Except C Or D)||0.6 Hr.|
|160109C||2011-2015 Fiesta DPS6: Replace Clutch, Includes Reprogram The PCM/TCM, TCM Adaptive Learning And Post Road Test, Requires RVC Code (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation Except B)||4.7 Hrs.|
|160109C||2012-2016 Focus DPS6: Replace Clutch, Includes Reprogram The PCM/TCM, TCM Adaptive Learning And Post Road Test, Requires RVC Code (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation Except B)||5.2 Hrs.|
|160109D||2011-2015 Fiesta DPS6: Replace Both Inner Input Shaft Seals And Clutch, Includes Reprogram The PCM/TCM, TCM Adaptive Learning And Post Road Test, Requires RVC Code (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation Except B)||5.1 Hrs.|
|160109D||2012-2016 Focus DPS6: Replace Both Inner Input Shaft Seals And Clutch, Includes Reprogram The PCM/TCM, TCM Adaptive Learning And Post Road Test, Requires RVC Code (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation Except B)||5.7 Hrs.|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – 16-0109
- Reprogramming emission-related (OBDII) modules on some vehicles manufactured in 1995 and all vehicles manufactured from 1996 to the present
- Reprogramming or reconfiguring non-emission-related modules on many vehicles (UBP and MS-CAN not supported)
Module Build Data (As-Built)
Use VIN to obtain As-Built data